[OT] Saving and loading mp3 tags to mp3 files

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

[OT] Saving and loading mp3 tags to mp3 files

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I have ripped some CD-s into mp3s, but i had wrong settings in my EAC, so now there is a block of silence at the end of each file. Not wanting to rerip them, i used the excellent mp3DirectCut utility, to cut the silent blocks from the end, but this way I lost some tags. So before I apply the changes I would like to save the tags into some textfile, and then load them again. Or i will wait for TC 7.0, where this task will be a snap ;-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Maybe the great and free id3master could do this job for you. It's not further developed but I still use it for nearly all my tagging tasks. I could`t find a download link, but I could send it to you per mail (~400k), if you like. It works without installation.

You could let id3master write the existing tag fields to the names of the existing files so you 'll get e.g.

Code: Select all

The Police - Reggatta De Blanc - 1979 - 06 - Walking on the Moon.mp3
After you edited your files, you can re-write the filename back to the tags by specifying the appropriate parameters. But please try with backed up files, I sometimes did hit the wrong button and lost some information.

It's not capable of editing Id3 v2 tags, but I only use v1.1 anyway, and I couldn't find a better Tool yet to fit my personal needs.

Or you could use Mp3Tag, it works quite well for this task, too (and handles v2 tags).
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Thanks for all the replies!
I just found out, that TheGodfather is able to export/import tags, havent tried it yet, still have to fiddle around with it. If anyone has experience with this amazing program, share it!
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hm, a long time ago I tried an older release of theGodfather and it looked quite promising, but I trashed it for some reasons I can't remember anymore :?

Thanks for bringing that tool into my mind again, I'll get it and see whats cooking with the current release.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

So I tried it, and here is the conclusion:
TheGodfather does just what I wanted in the first post: export any tags to a textfile, and import them back later. Great stuff.