FTP Client - Cut and Paste / Move Feature

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tigerix

FTP Client - Cut and Paste / Move Feature

Post by *tigerix »

Hi,

I love using the FTP-Feature of Total Commander, but one thing makes me switch to the Firefox-Plugin FireFTP sometimes:
And this is the ability to move / Cut / Copy / Paste files.

Are there any plans for an improved TC FTP client?

Thanks for your answers in advance.
Cheers, Tigerix.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

No move planned.

Search the forum using "FTP move" to get details ...
#5767 Personal license
tigerix

Post by *tigerix »

sqa_wizard wrote:No move planned.
Search the forum using "FTP move" to get details ...
Ah :) Here I go:
ghisler(Author) wrote:You can move files via Shift+F6 (rename/move) by specifying a new path, e.g. ../newname.ext .
I have just tested it, it works very well. The only question I still ask myself: If it works with a manual typed /path/path Shift F6 operation, why can't this be working the pure and easy 2 window F6 style (for non FXP operations)?

Some people wrote something about data security: If I copy files to the ftp, then I rely that this ftp server is good and relying for me, otherwise I wouldn't upload my stuff there. So why am I not able to rely on a move command on the same server as well?
bennog

Post by *bennog »

Maybe a configuration optin in the FTP config screen.

enable FTP move ?

Benno
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have just tested it, it works very well. The only question I still ask myself: If it works with a manual typed /path/path Shift F6 operation, why can't this be working the pure and easy 2 window F6 style (for non FXP operations)?

Some people wrote something about data security: If I copy files to the ftp, then I rely that this ftp server is good and relying for me, otherwise I wouldn't upload my stuff there. So why am I not able to rely on a move command on the same server as well?
The security issue regards the fact that FTP uploads from local computer sometimes fails. If you only copy, then you will still have the original file on your harddisk, but if you move and the file upload fails, then the file is lost!

The Shift-F6 only moves the file entry on the remote server, so there is little risk that the file will get lost, since it is already uploaded.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar