FTP upload mistery

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

drow

FTP upload mistery

Post by *drow »

Hello all !

If answer to my problem is somewhere on the forum forgive me, i wasn't able to find it.

My upload speed with TC ftp never goes above 120k (~1 mbit), while my download works just fine.

i have tested the environment with filezilla, both ul and dl works fine with it.

Any ideas ?
Did i miss something in options (i left my eyes in them, but heck...)
:)

Thanks in advance !

drow

---
tc ftw !
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2drow
What kind of connection do you have?

If it is an asymmetrical connection like ADSL, it is common that the upload speed is much slower than the download speed - that's why connections like those are referred to by both up- and download speed (e.g. 1024/128 kbit/s).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
drow

Post by *drow »

petermad wrote:2drow
What kind of connection do you have?

If it is an asymmetrical connection like ADSL, it is common that the upload speed is much slower than the download speed - that's why connections like those are referred to by both up- and download speed (e.g. 1024/128 kbit/s).
i have 5Mbit connection both ways, and it also happens in lan too...
is it possible that noone else has this problem ?

this also happened on machine at my work, so it isnt network card either...

i am very puzzled.
tc ftw !
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have upload speeds of >4MBit/sec in the lan, but other users also had upload speed problems. One user even had an upload speed of only 7k/sec.

Unfortunately we didn't find out what the problem was with these specific users.

For some users, it helped to increase the upload block size. You may try this too: Please add the following string to the file wcx_ftp.ini, section [General]:
UploadBlockSize=32768

If this doesn't help, the slowdown may be caused by a personal firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm) scanning the uploaded data.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
drow

Post by *drow »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have upload speeds of >4MBit/sec in the lan, but other users also had upload speed problems. One user even had an upload speed of only 7k/sec.

Unfortunately we didn't find out what the problem was with these specific users.

For some users, it helped to increase the upload block size. You may try this too: Please add the following string to the file wcx_ftp.ini, section [General]:
UploadBlockSize=32768

If this doesn't help, the slowdown may be caused by a personal firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm) scanning the uploaded data.

[General]:
UploadBlockSize=32768

YEEEESSSSS !!!!!!

THANKS MAN !
:)

TC FTW !
tc ftw !
GammelBert

Post by *GammelBert »

with beta 3 i had only 800KB/s upload in LAN. with UploadBlockSize=32768 i have 5000KB/s.
doktorfisch

Post by *doktorfisch »

Setting UploadBlockSize fixed my FTP speed problems,. It also seems to have reduced the CPU usage.

Thank you.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Shouldn't that setting be shown in the FTP area of TC's Config GUI?
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
doktorfisch

Post by *doktorfisch »

Actually that's the first place I looked for it.
Yes, it would be nice to have "advanced" sort of settings for FTP, inluding this one.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

A lot of ini-only settings would be nice to have in GUI too. Regarding FTP, this UploadBlockSize or the whole SpecialFlags and probably others. Connection properties dialog already has tabs, so one more for "Tweaks & Hacks & Workarounds" style stuff would surely fit in there. Plus the same in main configuration dialog for global defaults.
It's true that these settings are usually not needed, so manually editing the ini file is not big trouble. But once you set it, you don't see it anywhere and after some time you forget about it. And then one day you start wondering why something works strange and you spend a nice afternoon with detective work, before discovering that it's caused by some hidden option set years ago. :)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

A lot of ini-only settings would be nice to have in GUI too.

Until then - maybe use Configuration editor from http://www.utceditors.totalcmd.net/downloads.htm
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed many would be nice to have in the main dialog, but it's already overcrowded there. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I was thinking add a Tab at the top of the dialog, but there was dissention about the idea of Tabs for the Ignore-List.

So a drop-down menu at the top of the FTP dialog -- which could be used for ANY of the current config pages that need more space:

Code: Select all

┌───────────────────┐..┌───┐
│ FTP               { ↓ }
├───────────────────┤..└───┘
│ FTP: Advanced 
└───────────────────┘

Which would be "KeyBoard Accessible" by tabbing to the dropdown and down-arrow to choose one of the other Setting Pages.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Or there is this nice listbox (pretending to be sort of treeview ;) on the left of the dialog, where another subitem under FTP would fit nicely.
It's simple and clean, one item means one page, no hidden levels anywhere. And possibility to add new subpages is unlimited.

http://web.hisoftware.cz/sob/download/tc-config-tree.png
Isica

Post by *Isica »

ghisler(Author)
What is the maximum correct value of the parameter (UploadBlockSize)?