Default installation path

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Default installation path

Post by *pdavit »

Yes, it's true the not all supported by TC Windows versions may reflect to the possible correct default installation directory: C:\Program Files\totalcmd but then again for the majority it makes sense, ideal and globally correct.

I'm sure it's fewer users that will have to suffer from editing the field during installation and converting C:\Program Files\totalcmd into C:\totalcmd because they are running on Windows v3.0. :-P

For years now I'm constantly browsing for "C:\Program Files" during TC installation in order to be correct, tidy and in cope with the remaining applications.

Time to put an end to this maybe?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

You have my vote, as I also wrote here (german)
Samuel wrote:<translation>Backward compatibility should be broken for new installations. It could be checked if an ini exists. (Then the options could be kept.)

keywords: F2, Dirbrackets, etc...

IMO a big thread should be started to gather outdated standard settings.</translation>
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

bump
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I have no plans to change the default install directory. There are just too many problems with the restricted "Program Files" dir. You can install there yourself if you prefer, but you will have to live with the consequences then.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I have no plans to change the default install directory. There are just too many problems with the restricted "Program Files" dir. You can install there yourself if you prefer, but you will have to live with the consequences then.
I never had any "consequences" for the past 9 years of using "Program Files". I guess I'm lucky! ;-)
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Same here. It just seems natural in "Program Files". I use a locked tab set at the TC directory so it is always easy to get to. Directory Hotlist is another quick way to it.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The current approach isn't really consequent. A dir below the root is suggested by default to be able to install without elevating but the installer asks for elevating always. That doesn't make sense.

I also don't see why the default dir name must be shortened.

On x64 the default dir for 32 bit programs must be used as default.