Crash when moving directory (only VISTA?)

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

WolfgangK

Crash when moving directory (only VISTA?)

Post by *WolfgangK »

TC crashes when I try to move a directory with F6 key or F6 button with the following Application Error message:

Exception EAccessViolation in module TOTALCMD.EXE at 001F48C8.
Access violation at address 005F5AF4. Read of address 00000038.

I doesn't happen always but very often. I tried to narrow it down and found the following way to reproduce it:

Directory structure (empty directories are enough):
  • C:
    • MainDir
      • Dir1
        Dir2
        Dir3
        Dir4
        Test1
      Test
When moving Test1 from MainDir to Test, TC almost always crashes. Very rarely it works once, but then moving it back and trying again always crashes.

Same thing on the D: drive. If I delete one of the DirX directories everything is fine. If I create additional directories it unfortunately still crashes. Naturally those where not the original directory names, so it does not seem to be dependent on the directory names.

Copying Test1 or deleting it is no problem. Very strangely moving the directory by drag&drop with the mouse and holding the SHIFT key also works without a crash. (However TC without function keys is not even half as much fun.)

I am currently installing software on a brand new PC with Windows VISTA SP1 and TC 7.03. On my old machine with XP and still running TC 7.02a there seems to be no problem. Unfortunately uninstalling TC 7.03 and installing 7.02a instead on the VISTA PC doesn't help at all, still the same crash except that the addresses are 001F2C28 and 005F3E54 instead.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Directory structure (empty directories are enough):

Code: Select all

C: 
MainDir 
	Dir1 
	Dir2 
	Dir3 
	Dir4 
	Test1
Test
When moving Test1 from MainDir to Test, TC almost always crashes. Very rarely it works once, but then moving it back and trying again always crashes.
Not confirmed. Vista SP1 russian, user with admin rights, tc started with admin rights.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can not reproduce it either (Win XP SP3 as admin)

2WolfgangK
What happens if you do the same in Explorer?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the given addresses are not within Total Commander. It may be a virus scanner or other low-level tool loaded into the context of TC.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
WolfgangK

Post by *WolfgangK »

After some more experimenting I found out that it might have something to do with the "FileBox Extender" and the pushbin and roll-up buttons it displays in every windows title bar, since if I deactivate them for TC, it works fine.

Also it is not quite as reliable to reproduce as I thought. Today I needed to open a FireFox or Notepad window, too, before I could reproduce the crash and even then I had to try several times.

Sorry for bothering you, seems it has nothing to do with TC after all.

One suggestion: I would be very nice to have an exception handler in TC that logs a symbolic stack trace when an exception occurs. Admittedly it would be necessary to have the debug info accessible to make it really readable but that could be available as an optional download.

That would make analyzing such crashes a lot easier (at least it does it for me with my company's program) and also make it easier to report such crashes to the real culprit. Because somehow I don't think that this error message will help the people developing the FileBox Extender very much, when I report it there.

Best Regards, Wolfgang
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for reporting the reason of the problem! You will have to contact the support of FileBox Extender in this case.
nblom

Total Commander crashes: More info and possible solution

Post by *nblom »

Hi guys, I have some more info on this problem...

We use Total Commander at work and I also started getting these annoying crashes recently. I eventually decided to do a Web search to try to find a solution or at least reasons for the crashes, leading me here.

This is when I then realised that it only started crashing after I also installed Filebox Extender.

The PC I work on has Windows XP with SP2, so the problem is definitely not limited to Vista, and it also happens with Total Commander 6.56 (not only the 7.xx versions).

Now it looks like I've actually found a solution: In Filebox Extender, I added Total Commander as an "exception" and told it to not "handle" Totalcmdr *at all*... so far so good - let's see if the crashing returns or not.

Well, I just wanted to share what I found out with the rest of you - hope it helps :)
newsgroup67344

Post by *newsgroup67344 »

Im having the same exact problem. Running Vista x64. Just did a clean sweep and used the same install that I had previously.

The problem seems to be random. Sometimes the F6 move works, sometimes it triggers the same error.

What is FileBox and how can i remove it? Doing a search for it came out with vague descriptions. I am not running a program called FileBox, but I am running UltraMon, which "appears" to add the same functionality. Could this be the culprit?

Please advice. This program is crucial to my business.

UPDATE: It IS Ultramon. Turning Ultramon off fixed the problem. This makes me think that is relative to something that has to do with the window tools area.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

newsgroup67344 wrote:It IS Ultramon. Turning Ultramon off fixed the problem. This makes me think that is relative to something that has to do with the window tools area.
Same problem and a possible workaround for ultramon:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=163576#163576

HTH,
Holger
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I don't understand - how is your report related to this thread?
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Crash when moving directory only VISTA

Post by *HolgerK »

:arrow: LINK REMOVED

:shock: :? :roll: :o :x :) :D :lol:
Holger
Last edited by HolgerK on 2009-06-06, 20:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

Sleeper spammer

Post by *Clo »

2HolgerK
[mod]Thank you for the link, obviously anything copied from anywhere to look as a real first message…
… Crap deleted and account disabled.
Clo, moderator[/mod]
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I see - back to the original bug report, can anyone reproduce that with TC 7? And if yes, is it fixed in TC 7.5?