Broken text

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mika

Broken text

Post by *mika »

I just tried TC7 beta. Same problem I reported long time ago in TC6, but still not fixed. When you resize the Name column and the file name is bigger than the column width, two dots appear which is great and this is how it is supposed to be for all columns! But when you resize other columns and the content does not fit, the text of two adjacent fields becomes broken - the columns overlap, join, and both text fields become unreadable. Please fix!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2mika
Confirmed for standard Full view (size, date and attr columns) - but not confirmed for custom columns where it works as expected.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is intentional - the idea is to always size these columns to the width which is needed. It just makes no sense to show half a size or date field, it becomes useless this way!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mika

Post by *mika »

The idea is very simple. If the actual data cannot fit into the field, you can lock the column width and prevent resizing, or you can show the user that he has to resize the column width manually. To show the user there is a problem you overlap the text making BOTH columns unreadable, but it would be nicer to show the dots because it points to that appropriate column where exactly there is a problem.

I agree, it doesn't make sense to show half a size or date field, but the way it is implemented now, it feels and looks like a bug in the videocard driver or something. I have never seen anything like that before. I know you want to show the users that there is more information in the field, but showing the overlapped text is not the best way to do it. Nobody does it like this and it doesn't look right. Look at other programs, for example Windows Explorer. They show dots in this situation for all columns. The best way is to either lock the width, or show the dots.

Oh, please, Christian, do me a favor and fix the overlapping! You already fixed it for custom columns where it works as expected.

I've been waiting for this fix since 1997!!
mika

Post by *mika »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This is intentional - the idea is to always size these columns to the width which is needed. It just makes no sense to show half a size or date field, it becomes useless this way!
I hope you will change your mind two years later..

Let me try to explain again. You said it doesn't make sense to show half a size or date field. But why does it make sense to show half a size of the file name or extension? It is same thing! All fields should be treated same way. And if you want to show there is more of the text, overlapping is the worst way because it looks terrible, it looks like the videocard is broken. You can show the beginning of the text and then dots if there is something left, and if I see the dots and would like to see more, I just resize the columnd width. Maybe I am not interested in year or minutes, but I see the overlaping text.

I woudl like to see the dots instead of overlapping because this is industry standard way to show there is more text.

People, do you agree? Would you prefer to see the dots or overlapping text?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can use custom columns now if you dislike the default behaviour.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
mika

Post by *mika »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can use custom columns now if you dislike the default behaviour.
Yes, I know. But I just don't understand your choice of overlapping text over industry standard approach for the default behaviour. What is the advantage?
ado

Post by *ado »

mika wrote: What is the advantage?
take a look to C:\ - most probably there is pagefile.sys and maybe hiberfil.sys (if you have turned on "show hidden files"). With this overlapping columns you can see the full size of these files even without making "size" column twice as big as it needs to be in normal cases.
I personally like this feature

ado
mika

Post by *mika »

ado wrote:
mika wrote: What is the advantage?
take a look to C:\ - most probably there is pagefile.sys and maybe hiberfil.sys (if you have turned on "show hidden files"). With this overlapping columns you can see the full size of these files even without making "size" column twice as big as it needs to be in normal cases.
I personally like this feature

ado
We are not talking about the text boxes that appear when you hover the cursor over the text.