Shortcuts that follow Windows' convention

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pcitrus

Shortcuts that follow Windows' convention

Post by *pcitrus »

Some shortcuts already used in TC are compatible with Windows, like Ctrl+T (new tab), Ctrl+D (new favorite)...

However, I had to follow other people's advice and added the following shortcuts to wincmd.ini

F2=cm_RenameOnly
F6=cm_MoveOnly
C+F=cm_SearchFor
A+F8=cm_FtpConnect
ESC=cm_ClearAll

F2, Ctrl+F are universally used in Windows.
Using ESC to de-select benefits laptop users.

If these modifications are reflected in the newer TC version, I guarantee that old users will welcome this long-awaited change, and new users will be attracted. (If you don't trust me, start a poll.)

As a first time user of TC I sincerely hope that more people will be able to smoothly transition to TC and appreciate it.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

pcitrus,
I guarantee that old users will welcome this long-awaited change
As an old user I guarantee you that I will not welcome this not-long-awaited change.
(If you don't trust me, start a poll.)
There already is a poll.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Mikefield
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Mikefield »

I use only F2=cm_RenameOnly and so long it is configurable it's OK.

mf
Bankster - Word of the Year 2009
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I use F2 for it main purpose - for refreshing window contents))
Why we need to make something new if it may be easy configured within existing version?
brahman

Post by *brahman »

More windows standard keyboard shortcuts will be a nice welcome for any new user.

But in this forum you usually find veteran users who got accustomed to the old shortcuts and for whom it would be difficult to change. Therefore many people who post here will defend the old order.

But I completely agree that windows standard shortcuts will be one of the most efficient means to convert TC trial users into permanent, registered users because it is always a great entry barrier to reprogram ones brain into learning new ways of doing things that have become second nature.

Thus TC in its current incarnation makes it a little bit difficult for a new user to feel at home with the software.

To close this gap between old and new users I suggest an option during the install process:

+default to using standard windows shortcuts
+for veteran users allow to select the old shortcut scheme

Then both camps should be happy and TC will retain many more trial users and the number of registered users will go up considerably.

Regards,

Brahman
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

brahman wrote:To close this gap between old and new users I suggest an option during the install process:

+default to using standard windows shortcuts
+for veteran users allow to select the old shortcut scheme
Brahman
This may be achieved with any external tool which will add default Windows hotkeys to existing wincmd.ini)) so we may just find/write such a little tool. And we don't need to change existing install program. But maybe it will be a good idea to add a choice into setup - which set of keys apply. But in this case user won't get accustomed to really used TC hotkeys - which are really true forever! =)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I don't think that changing TC shortcuts is very good idea because:

1. TC is not Explorer - people who use TC wants it because it differs not because it might be the same,

2. TC keys has some logic behind - i.e. F5 is used in Windows for Refresh but in TC:
- F5 -> copy,
- Shift+F5 -> copy for the same directory,

Changing one shortcut disturbs the flow and this is not for F5 only. Worse thing: changing 2 or 3 shortcuts only creates even bigger mess.

3. interface influences - function keys bar is hardcoded and it reflects some keys combinations (also for drag'n'drop), changes should affect this part of TC together with Help files. This is not needed waste of time IMHO.

I've created Explorer like layout (menus and shortcuts) for TC once and shared it with few friends. All I can say: no one liked it because of the reasons from above.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

brahman

Post by *brahman »

MVV wrote: This may be achieved with any external tool which will add default Windows hotkeys to existing wincmd.ini)) so we may just find/write such a little tool. And we don't need to change existing install program. But maybe it will be a good idea to add a choice into setup - which set of keys apply. But in this case user won't get accustomed to really used TC hotkeys - which are really true forever! =)
My point is to attract more new users to TC by making the TC interface more familiar to new users.

Adding a little tool requires an experienced user, while having such a setup right in the install program does not.

IMHO the biggest hurdle for new users (especially the OCCASIONAL user who already has forgotten the shortcuts next time (s)he uses the programs if such usage is f.e. only once a week) to become comfortable with this great program are the non-standard interface.

Any effort to make it easier for them will pay off big time for ghisler.

Regards,

Brahman
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2pcitrus
Ctrl+F are universally used in Windows.
That depends on your language - I have several Microsoft programs that use Ctrl+B for Searching. For example Internet Explorer (Danish) used Ctrl+B until version 7 (now it is Ctrl+F like most English applications). My Windows Office 2003 on my work computer also uses Ctrl+B for searching all over.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar