TC 7.5PB5: Instability

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

TC 7.5PB5: Instability

Post by *tbeu »

I used all 5 public beta versions of TC 7.5 so far both at home and at work. However, the latest beta 5 seems to be quite unstable as there are sudden crashes of TC without any error messages. TC just quits. The sporadic crash happens about 3 to 5 times a day and I am not able to reproduce it the next time. The usage of TC is pretty normal, nothing special of TC 7.5. Last time I was changing into a directory with synchronous directory switching enabled. This was the last operation before the sudden crash. I use WinXPSP3.

I know it will be hard to get any clues from my information not to speak from reproduction.
Last edited by tbeu on 2009-06-16, 20:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I haven't received any other reports of such instability, sorry. To the contrary, I worked a lot on the stability from beta to beta, and it should be much more stable than the earlier betas. Did you install anything else in the meantime which could affect the stability of Total Commander? A crash without any error message usually means that the error occurs somewhere outside of TC, so TC couldn't even catch the exception...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
lzvk25

Post by *lzvk25 »

In my case, it happens while I am viewing a file which lister or it's plugins cannot handle. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to reproduce.

However, I am finding out that it happens with certain frequency when the file has no extension.
:cry:
Memo to Boss : No TC, No Work
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

I met this sudden crash quit too when changing to thumbnail view with a special picture in current folder(can't see with F3).

Where do I mail the picture to? support at ghisler dot com?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

WatchUer wrote:I met this sudden crash quit too when changing to thumbnail view with a special picture in current folder(can't see with F3).
I think this crash is not by TC fault but by TC plugin fault. Probably you should contact with plugin developer.
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

MVV wrote:
WatchUer wrote:I met this sudden crash quit too when changing to thumbnail view with a special picture in current folder(can't see with F3).
I think this crash is not by TC fault but by TC plugin fault. Probably you should contact with plugin developer.
I guess this too, but TC should handle this crash and shouldn't just quit without any info.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

WatchUer wrote:
MVV wrote:
I guess this too, but TC should handle this crash and shouldn't just quit without any info.
If plugin causes a serious error, operating system may just kill application. TC may not be possible to do something.
But you are right, let Christian to determine if this error may be caught. I think you may upload file on any file server with free access for downloading. And type here, which multimedia plugin you use for opening this file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC tries to catch errors which happen in plugins, but if the error is so bad that it (for example) overwrites the entire stack, then TC has no chance to recover from the crash.

So please view (with F3) a file of the same type to see in lister title what plugin is used, and then contact the author of the plugin about the problematic picture.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
WatchUer

Post by *WatchUer »

After removed two lister plugins(Imagine and SGViewer), TC won't crash anymore in thumbnail view.

See the picture with F3(Imagine) will pop up a "unknown error" dialog box.

See the picture with F3(SGViewer), just a blank viewer without error info.

I can see the picture with ACDSee, so the picture is abnormal and Imagine and SGViewer can not handle it.

Could TC do something to prevent the sudden quit?
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2WatchUer
I have both of those plugins installed and they work fine with no crashes. What image type are you trying to view when the crash happens? Maybe you could provide a link to one of the problem images and I could test it?
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license