problem with cm_DirBranch command

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

St@s

problem with cm_DirBranch command

Post by *St@s »

Test case:
1. create two tabs
2. execute cm_DirBranch to one of them
3. switch between tabs 2 times

Result of cm_DirBranch command lost.
Is it desired behaviour or bug?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It is probably intentional - it is like that in TC 7.04 too.

But I support that branch view should be kept when switching tabs, just like any other view.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, guys.

This is a very old limitation of branchview. Therefore it took me 30 minutes to locate the old thread which simply had to exist as my memory assured me: Bug or feature regarding Ctrl+B.

Suggested Workaround (may not always be feasible):
Whatever you want to do in another tab, do not do it inside the file panel which displays the branchview tab. Switch to the other file panel and perform your job there. Then come back to the former file panel. As the active tab here has not been changed, branchview will still be active.

To a certain degree, I agree with you two:

It would really be helpful if the branchview list were cached when you switch to another tab inside the same file panel and were restored as soon as you come back.
I realize, however, that there is a chance that by now the cached branchview list is no longer up-to-date, due to whatever you have just done in a different tab, and that the cached branchview list will not reflect the changes. :(

Kind regards,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, this behaviour is intentional: Since TC does not keep the contents of inactive tabs (except for search results), it would be very slow to return to a page where dirbranch is active, because TC would have to re-read all the subdirs too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com