Thumbnail view different in left and right panels

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

petermad wrote:I think it has to do with the fact that the width of the left panel is reduced by 1 pixel when folder tab is enabled, while the right panel has the same width with or without folder tabs - that makes the space in the two panels unequeal, which with a few window widths results in fewer thumb columns in the left side.
I just tested it with 8 tabs on each side opened and it still shows the spacing problem as in my pic.

3 pixels difference (in the pic) shouldn't cause that big of problem, though. In the right panel in my pic there seems to be no spacing between the thumbnails. Everything seems to run together if you have any custom content showing.

After I posted that pic, I got to thinking about the tabs and was wondering if that might be the problem. Thank you for, hopefully, verifying that.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, petermad.

Confirmed. You seem to be right: As long as no tabs are used in the left panel, the problem cannot be reproduced. Using tabs in the right panel does not have any visible effect on the thumbnails, though.

Does anybody remember why using tabs in the left pane will decrease the available panel size by 1 pixel and why the same is not true for the right panel? :?

The funniest thing is that the missing pixel in the left panel can have the nice side effect that the thumbnails will be displayed with a decent spacing whereas in the right panel which is just 1 pixel wider TC will display the thumbnails extremely close to each other. :wink:

As T.C. will not use any fuzzy logic (I bet), 1 pixel more or less may decide whether 5 thumbnails can be displayed per row or 6.

Kind regards,
Karl
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Confirmed here, too, now. Without any tabs in the left panel, the thumbnail spacing is the same in both panels, no matter how many tabs are in the right panel. Good job, petermad! ;) Now that we know what the problem is, how do we correct it?

As a side note, I agree with karlchen that the spacing looks nicer and more uniform in the left panel with tabs. It makes it easier to read the added content.

User of Total Commander
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Boofo.

I assume your question
Now that we know what the problem is, how do we correct it?
was a rhetorical question?!
We can only find workarounds. Solely Christian can implement a permanent solution.
A possible workaround is reducing the current T.C. window width by a few pixels as soon as the problem occurs. Reducing the width by a few pixels will make sure that the right panel will use the same spacing as the left panel, whereas increasing the width by a few pixels is pretty sure to eliminate the free space between the thumbnails.

Kind regards,
Karl
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2karlchen,

Yes, it was rhetorical. ;)

I would like to see a few pixels added between the thumbnails (like in the left panel). Maybe even a setting for spacing, but uniform to both panels and not contingent on tabs or no tabs.

User of Total Commander
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, Boofo.
a setting for spacing
Have not spotted any such setting in the wincmd.ini section of the latest Total Commander helpfile.
So support for this feature request from my side.
As TC7.50RC is feature complete we may have to wait for TC 7.60 or whatever the next version number will be.

Kind regards,
Karl
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2karlchen

Well, it really should be at least fixed in the version as it seems to be a verifiable bug. A setting would be great, too, but like you said, another version maybe for a setting.

User of Total Commander
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the TC 7.5 Bug Reports Forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, it's currently not possible to make the two panels exactly the same size when using tabs, because then some parts of the controls would be cut off.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2ghisler(Author),

When both panels have tabs, there shouldn't be any big space difference between the thumbnails, should there?

User of Total Commander
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

because then some parts of the controls would be cut off.
To me it looks like it is just a matter of making the left panel 1 pixel wider (for which there is enough space) - that can hardly cut off any controls? The width of the divider will then be 1 pixel smaller than without foldertabs - I think that is something we can live with - but off course I can't say whether that wil fix the spacing calculations - but I think it is worth a try.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar