OPENTABS with %P%N Not Working

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

juraitwaluzka

OPENTABS with %P%N Not Working

Post by *juraitwaluzka »

Using 7.50a...

If I create a button on the button bar or an item in the start menu with the following settings:

Command: OPENTABS
Parameters: %P%N or "%P%N"

This doesn't work for me - it just does nothing. I made sure the cursor is sitting on a .tab file and I've tried with it actually selected, either way it just does nothing. %P%N seems to work ok for other commands (like launching a 3rd party tool). For example, above if I change OPENTABS to notepad.exe it works fine.

If I Place the explicit path in "Parameters" it works, opening the specified .tab file, but what I need is to be able to load the .tab sitting under the cursor.

Also, I'm using the extended menus addon, not sure if that's a factor (don't really want to give that up!).

Anyway, I've searched around and not found a solution, wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if it is a bug that's been fixed in the new beta.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm sorry, this isn't currently supported. I will add it to my wish list.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
juraitwaluzka

Post by *juraitwaluzka »

Thanks for the info, would certainly be nice to have :)

Ultimately what I would find the most useful is to introduce the concept of Sessions or Projects. Basically the pieces are all there to load and save the files it just needs to be automated / managed.

Usually I work on various projects that end up having a set of folders that I need to access. These all go into .tab files. It works but it's entirely a manual process and it's totally up to me to realize and keep up with which folder set I'm working on. It would be nice if TC had the option to know that once I load from .tab for it to automatically update the file as I open and close folders.

The benefit from this is that I no longer have to manually save the file (sometimes I forget which 'corrupts' the project). Also, TC or O/S crashes don't really make an impact anymore since the .tab file is updated anytime folders are changed.

I'm not suggesting that this would be the way it would work always, but as another "mode". It would definitely save me lots of time and headaches, and would very closely mimic my TC workflow.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
I'm sorry, this isn't currently supported. I will add it to my wish list.
???????????
It works fine here both in TC 7.50a and in TC 7.55pb2

2juraitwaluzka
I'm using the extended menus addon
Which extended menu is that?

EDIT: I just tested it with pathnames containing spaces - then you are right that it doesn't work. Use %p%n in stead of %P%N then it works (provided 8.3 filenames are supported on the system)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have checked it now - it doesn't work when the path or file name contains spaces. %P%N is then automatically surrounded by double quotes, and functions like GetPrivateProfileString fail with them.

Solution: Make sure the tab file and the directory in which it is located doesn't conntain spaces, or simply use %p%n (all lowercase) to get the 8.3 (DOS) name.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Fixed in TC 7.55b3 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks! Can anyone else confirm the fix?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Yes, it works.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks!