Total Updater 0.8.6.9 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Bluestar

Total Updater 0.8.6.9 - Total Commander & plugin updater

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]TOTAL Updater[/face] ( Utility )
Total Commander & plugin updater

[face=tahoma]Direct download link:
  • Download (Latest version: v0.8.6.9 | Release date: 02-04-2015 | 3,7 MB | MD5 (exe): c375b8386df4bfb96c123c39caac2559)
[/face][face=tahoma]Screenshots: What is it good for?
  • Total Updater is a small tool that helps you to keep your Total Commander & its plugins up-to-date.
    If you are using dozens of plugins for TC / always wants to be sure that you are using the latest version of our beloved filemanager, then this software is definitely for you.
[/face][face=tahoma]Features:
  • [NEW!] Capability of downloading directly from SkyDrive, rghost.net and solidfiles.com (from 0.8.6)
  • [NEW!] Install the downloaded plugins (may need admin rights)
  • [NEW!] Ability to update Total Commander (may need admin rights)
  • [NEW!] Self-update (may need admin rights)
  • Built-in multilingual support:
    Chinese Simplified, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
  • Download files through SSL connection (in case the server forces it) - just download the latest zip from this site (x32) / x64 & unzip "libeay32.dll" & "ssleay32.dll" to Total Updater's dir
  • List all of the installed plugins / addons / utilities & search the latest updates for them
  • Advanced version detection routine: detect version based on history/readme files even if embedded verinfo field doesn't exists
  • Advanced version compare routine: compare the files based on local&online version and date (if update found), to minimize the number of false alarms
  • Download selected / marked plugins quickly & easily
    (just double click on an item in the Download dialog to open the url in case a download fails for any reason [ssl connection / redirections / etc])
  • Internal Plugin Database, which helps the utility to detect the plugins based on filename
  • You can add custom new items to UserDB (just search their ID on totalcmd.net, and they're going to override the matching original DB entry)
  • Simply click on "Marked items" / "Confirm updatable item(s) as latest" to avoid false alarms
  • Display additional info of every plugin by double-clicking on it (in English / Russian language - based on system's current locale)
  • Infobox feature - display verinfo & icon of each plugin (right click on the list & choose Show Infobox)
  • Exclude from list option (file / directory)
  • Full Unicode support
  • Portability (no need to install)
  • ... and much more!
Compatibility:
  • Basically any Total Commander version (heavily tested under 7.57a & 8.01)
Version history:
  • You can check the complete list by clicking here.
Translators needed:
  • Do you feel you could translate this utility to your (native) language? It's actually pretty easy - just download this language file, unzip & open it with Notepad (or any other lightweight text editor), then post the finished work here, or simply PM / mail me, and your language file will be in the next public version.
  • Important notice: by copying "TotalUpdater.lng" file to the software's main directory, it automatically loads this file instead of the language file depending on the system language, so you can test it.
Bluestar wrote:Special thanks to the Totalcmd.net Staff, especially to Flint for his server-side scripts & loads of help, and to Andrei for the approval of server usage.
Notes:
  • You can also save your own UserDB entries to improve the online version detection - here you can find a simple guide which helps to correctly fill a new UserDB entry: Click here for the image (you simply need to find a plugin's webID on totalcmd.net using Search).
Hope you like the utility - questions, comments, feature requests & bug reports are very welcomed.
[/face]
Last edited by Bluestar on 2015-04-12, 21:54 UTC, edited 134 times in total.
» Developer of Total Updater & extDir utility.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

After a long time of development phase, and lots of previous mentions here and there about this tool "coming soon", I thought finally its time to make it public, so this great community can test the whole thing.

I would really appreciate your feedback, feature requests & bug reports - the more reports I get, the faster it gets out of BETA phase to final. :)

Some of the planned capabilities for the future (i keep updating this list with your suggestions):
  • Show current file path as hint on hover in the plugin list [suggested by tbeu] - featured in Beta2
  • Resizable main window [suggested by tbeu] (will be featured in Beta4)
  • New popup option: Marked items -> Unmark all / Reselect updatable / Mark all items / Invert selection (will be featured in Beta4)
  • New popup option: Check marked as latest (to save that the checked local versions are in fact the same as the online ones)
  • Filter / search feature (in the list of the plugins)
  • More info to come in the Information dialog (double-click on a plugin)
  • Supporting more hotkeys (currently F5 & Ctrl + R can be used to refresh the list)
  • Some more polishing of the intelligent version detection algorithm
Stay tuned.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-14, 15:48 UTC, edited 8 times in total.
starix

Post by *starix »

Thanks for new program, BUT:
1) When I press "Search for updates" it give me error "List out of Bounds"
2) Updater don't found any of my plugins :(

Code: Select all

[PackerPlugins]
7z=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\Total7zip\Total7zip.wcx
CopyTree=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wcx\CopyTree\CopyTree.wcx
[ListerPlugins]
0=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\PEViewer\PEViewer.wlx
1=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\fileinfo\fileinfo.wlx
2=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\Imagine\Imagine.wlx
2_detect="MULTIMEDIA"
starix

Post by *starix »

STOP! Does it has support of 64-bit plugins???
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

When I click 'Search for updates' I get an error message: List index out of bounds (2)

Could it be because in my work environment we utilize a proxy and Total Updater has no related parameters to configure?

Anyhow, tool's layout and functionality looks very promising. Keep up the already good work.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Thanks for the new tool.

1) My wish: Please make the window resizable.

2) And some strange screenshots:Image: http://tbeu.de/forum/tu1.png, Image: http://tbeu.de/forum/tu2.png, Image: http://tbeu.de/forum/tu3.png

3) When I click Serach for Updates it opens a list.txt in notepad.

4) It does not show plugins from wincmd.ini with environment variables, e.g.

Code: Select all

[ContentPlugins]
0_date=1090811928
0_flags=15
0=%COMMANDER_PATH%\..\Plugins\5mat\5mat.wcx
0_detect=EXT="MAT"|EXT="FIG"
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
ts-soft

Post by *ts-soft »

:D Thanks, usefull tool!

I have the same problem with search as pdavit
MessageBox wrote:---------------------------
Total Updater
---------------------------
List index out of bounds (2)
OK
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Thanks for all of your feedbacks & remarks. It seems I forgot to expand the envvars inside plugins paths - will be corrected soon.
I think thats whats causing errors for most of you atm (since all of the 5 PC's I was testing the software on were using absolute path vars in wincmd.ini).

@starix: It detects & supports 64-bit plugins too. :) So they shouldn't cause any problem.

@pdavit: Yes, an active proxy can mean difficulties... unfortunately currently theres no way to set its parameters for the utility. Is your IE configured @ your work environment to use the proxy settings? In case yes, TU should detect & use it, cause generally it uses (an enhanced) IE engine - however i may replace it in the future with alternative methods, if it keeps generating so many various problems...

@tbeu:
  • Capability of resizing main window is added to the "todo" list, thanks
  • About the screenshots: I guess these plugins doesn't have a verinfo section embedded into the wlx/wcx/whatever the filetype is, so the utility uses its alternative detection method (you can disable it on the Configuration tab, to be sure that it is the case) to get the correct version number - this one needs more improvements, as it can be seen. :D Various readme / history files makes it pretty hard to correctly read the actual version number, without extra signs and all...
    - By the way, the multiple items are not an error: e.g. NirCmd has two exe files, "nircmd.exe" and "nircmdc.exe", both with absolutely the same version informations. I can't ignore any of them from the list in such cases, for example cause these items could be unique tools too, with unique online IDs.
    - Can't do much about "Copyright 2004" etc items in the list, in case the ProductName field has been set with info like that. I can do an extra check, and replace it with the filename (or OriginalFileName field, if its set) instead, but its really just a "cosmetic" thing for rare cases
  • Now thats what I call mysterious. In the whole sourcecode theres absolutely no reference for any "list.txt" at all, so I wonder why it opens this file. Are you using x64 Windows (7 / 8 )? And is the file empty after it opens?
For all of you having "List index out of bounds" errors - does it helps if you check the "Disable the automatic detection of all kind of plugins" option for test reasons on the Configuration tab, then refresh the list (Ctrl + R) and search for updates this way (so TC is the only visible item in the list)? Or it still keeps showing "List index out of..." errormsg this way too? Could you please test it?
tbeu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tbeu »

Bluestar wrote:Now thats what I call mysterious. In the whole sourcecode theres absolutely no reference for any "list.txt" at all, so I wonder why it opens this file. Are you using x64 Windows (7 / 8)? And is the file empty after it opens?
No, the list.txt is not empty. It contains 866 lines of the available plugins.

I checked where Copyright 2004 comes from: It is the xcd.exe from http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/XCD. I guess an additional column (or tooltip) which file (or file path) the version is read from would be very welcome.
Last edited by tbeu on 2013-02-09, 11:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TC plugins: Autodesk 3ds Max / Inventor / Revit Preview, FileInDir, ImageMetaData (JPG Comment/EXIF/IPTC/XMP), MATLAB MAT-file Viewer, Mover, SetFolderDate, Solid Edge Preview, Zip2Zero and more
ts-soft

Post by *ts-soft »

Bluestar wrote: For all of you having "List index out of bounds" errors - does it helps if you check the "Disable the automatic detection of all kind of plugins" option for test reasons on the Configuration tab, then refresh the list (Ctrl + R) and search for updates this way (so TC is the only visible item in the list)? Or it still keeps showing "List index out of..." errormsg this way too? Could you please test it?
No changes on 64-Bit TC, only TC 32-Bit works without this error,
but some error on downloads.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

Problem found, it occurs if only 64 bit version of TC has been installed on the PC, so in case no "TOTALCMD.exe" file exists in TC's directory. I've found another issue which needs to be addressed: unlike the 32-bit version, TOTALCMD64.exe doesn't have "ProductVersion" info embedded in its exe file, only FileVersion exists...

Workaround: Total Updater - Configuration / Do not detect & search updates for Total Commander <- check this option and restart TU, it should work this way (plugin detection can be turned on)

Edit: Quickfix coming soon.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-08, 20:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

[face=tahoma]Total Updater v0.7 Beta 2

Quickfix containing improvements regarding detection of 64-bit TC, and some other critical bugfixes.
Update is strongly recommended!
(read the changelog for more info...)

:arrow: Download | 08-02-2013 | MD5 (exe): 73c32c2b4402c90f27cf1bc05688bd4f

Changelog:

* New: Show current file path as hint on hover in the plugin list
* Change: removed special flags (like navNoHistory) for testing purposes
* Change: improved 64-bit Total Commander detection
* Change: added contact email to the About form (mouseover hint on developer name)
* Fixed: the utility now successfully expands environment variables in plugin paths
* Fixed: bug when only TOTALCMD64.exe exists in the main folder of Total Commander
[/face]

Note: If you find any bugs, please try to run Total Updater directly from TC, so this way the software can surely get the most important parameters (path to inifile, path of exefile, etc).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Bluestar
Danish translation can be downloaded at http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/TotalUpdater0_7b1Danish.zip

BIG feature request - I have redirected all my plugins setting from wincmd.ini to plugins.ini - could you PLEASE make Total Updater support redirection?

I have tried to use the function: "Load the list of plugins from a manually given file:" to try to load from my plugins.ini file - but it doesn't work - what is the format of the content of such an manually given file?

Two strings cannot be translated yet:
"Total Updater is using Embedded Web Browser." (About dialog)
"Please, choose the file that contains the list of plugins..." (dialog opened after clicking "Browse..." next to the "Load the list of plugins from a manually given file:" option)

If I try to change the UpdateList_OK= string, then nothing is changed except that the color of OK. is changed to black in stead of green.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Tichij

Post by *Tichij »

Bluestar wrote: * Fixed: the utility now successfully expands environment variables in plugin paths
Thanks for the new tool.
BIG feature request - could you PLEASE make possibility to use of environment variables for paths in "DownloadDir=" and "[ExceptionList]" too, because I use portable Total Commander and these paths may be various on different PC.
Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

@petermad: Thank you very much for the Danish language file, it will be included in the next version.

In theory the software is able to handle "RedirectSection" vars of the plugin sections as is now (i just tried it, works perfect for me) - in case it contains absolute path to a file, without env.vars (whoa, I need to expand envvars a lot more places...).

By the way you can give the path to (a copy of) wincmd.ini without RedirectSections to the function you asked about, so it can successfully load the list from the alternative wincmd.ini (generally I implemented this feature for cases when the software can't properly detect the correct path of wincmd.ini file for any reason - so it uses the format of wincmd.ini, and loads the plugins from [PackerPlugins] etc sections).
"Total Updater is using Embedded Web Browser." (About dialog)
Actually I do not plan to add translation line for this string, since I may totally drop this component from the project in the future...
About that second, dialog caption: You are right, these lines needs to be in the language file - I just updated the language pack on the server, and the next version will support them ([CaptionsDialog] section). The "UpdateList_OK" string is not properly loaded from the language file, will be fixed as well - thanks for the report.

@Tichij: Glad you like it. Of course I can, BETA3 is going to support it. :D

Edit: Soon (hopefully this weekend) I'll be able to test it under fully 64-bit environment, so more related bugfixes coming soon.
Last edited by Bluestar on 2013-02-09, 19:30 UTC, edited 2 times in total.