Change drive selectbox issue

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ferenczy

Change drive selectbox issue

Post by *ferenczy »

Hi Total Commander fans,

I have a bit annoying issue with a selectbox for current drive change. I'm have been using Total Commander for a couple of years on a lot of different machines and it always behaved the same way. But on my new laptop it behave a bit different and I don't know why.

Expected behave is: open drive change selectbox (e.g. with ALT + F1), select the drive with cursor arrows, hit ENTER to open the selected drive in the current tab.

Actual behave on my new laptop: open drive change selectbox, press e.g. the down cursor key and selectbox closes and drive is opened in the current tab. Without confirming the selection with ENTER. So I cannot do the selection with cursor arrows, which is annoying for me. I have to do the selection using mouse or drive letter keys.

Which setting controls this behavior?

Thank you!
Dawid Ferenczy
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please try starting TC with clean configuration: TOTALCMD.exe /i=new.ini. Will you be able to reproduce annoying behaviour?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ferenczy

What is your Total Commander and Windows version ?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

Oh, I'm really sorry, I forgot to mention my environment information.

So, I'm using 64bit Total Commander 8.01 on 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Also 32bit Total Commander 8.01 has the same behavior on my new laptop.

And yes, the behavior is the same with a clean configuration.
Dawid Ferenczy
ps256

Post by *ps256 »

ferenczy wrote:Oh, I'm really sorry, I forgot to mention my environment information.

So, I'm using 64bit Total Commander 8.01 on 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium. Also 32bit Total Commander 8.01 has the same behavior on my new laptop.

And yes, the behavior is the same with a clean configuration.
have you tried anything else other than a clean configuration? Same behavior no matter the source?
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

ps256 wrote:have you tried anything else other than a clean configuration? Same behavior no matter the source?
What do you mean with "source"? Sure I have tried everything I could think of. Otherwise I wouldn't ask here. I browsed through whole configuration dialog, configuration file, compared configuration files from current and old laptop (where it works as expected - I have to confirm drive selection with ENTER). I have no idea, where the cause could be.

Is there the author of Total Commander in the forum? He should know if there is any setting or something that could affect the drive selectbox behavior. If there is nothing such, I'll probably need to look out of Total Commander.
Dawid Ferenczy
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Change drive selectbox issue

Post by *white »

ferenczy wrote:Which setting controls this behavior?
AFAIK none. You will probably have to look for the cause outside of Total Commander.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, I have never experienced this - sounds like a keyboard problem, maybe.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

Hm, you didn't make me happy :(

But I have a problem with TC only. I'm a software developer so I use a lot of different software, editors etc. and didn't experienced similar issues anywhere.

Moreover I'm not able to enter password to the FTP master password dialog. It doesn't receive any of pressed keys (except of delete). The only way to enter the password is through clipboard using "paste" from the context menu (CTRL + V doesn't work too).

I'm really annoyed because I need to do my job and not to solve the bizarre issues like that. I have been using TC for a couple of years and never experienced problems like that.
Dawid Ferenczy
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Dawid.

The problem occurs on your new notebook only.
No-one else has reported it so far.
This strongly suggests your annoyance should be targetting your own notebook, maybe some special piece of software on it.
In case no other software on your machine is affected by the weird keyboard misbehaviour, only Total Commander 8.01 32-bit/64-bit, in this case I would
  • download a fresh copy of the installation package here (and nowhere else)
  • delete the content of the current %COMMANDER_PATH% (uninstall, but keep the INI files)
  • re-install from the scratch using the freshly downloaded combined 32-bit/64-bit installer and using exactly the same path and settings like for the previous installation
Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ferenczy wrote:Moreover I'm not able to enter password to the FTP master password dialog. It doesn't receive any of pressed keys (except of delete). The only way to enter the password is through clipboard using "paste" from the context menu (CTRL + V doesn't work too).
It's a known problem for Windows 8.1
See http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=38322

Do you have this problem using 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium?
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

Hi guys!

Karlchen: I have no doubts where I need to look for cause of my issue. But I need to know, how that window controls works, what uncommon things they use, to be able to localize what could affect them. As in the case of the FTP master password dialog (it uses keyboard hook for a security purpose). But thanks for your suggests.

White: Yes, I have read that already (the same topic on a different URL :) http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=273251 ) The latest beta version of TC (8.50 b15) didn't help me, but "allowhook=0" in wcx_ftp.ini have solved the issue with entering FTP master password! Great, I'm really pleased with that. And yes, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. Why do you ask?

So the only thing I couldn't resolve is the issue with drive selectbox. As I wrote earlier I use TC 8.50 b15 now and it's the same.

Thanks for your advices guys!
Dawid Ferenczy
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ferenczy

Does this also happen if you open the drive selection box with the mouse in stead of with Alt+F1 and you thereafter use the cursor arrow. I ask this just to rule out that it is not the Alt+F1 keypress that sets your computer in this auto-Enter mode.
License #524 (1994)
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ferenczy wrote:The latest beta version of TC (8.50 b15) didn't help me, but "allowhook=0" in wcx_ftp.ini have solved the issue with entering FTP master password! Great, I'm really pleased with that. And yes, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium. Why do you ask?
I didn't know it could also happen with other Windows versions.
HISTORY.TXT wrote:08.10.13 Fixed: Master password could not be entered on Windows 8.1 (use allowhook=0 on older versions to fix) (32/64)
The fix description confirms that it can also happen on older versions and that you will have to use allowhook=0 in this case.
ferenczy

Post by *ferenczy »

Thank you guys for your time and advices. Problem solved finally! The cause was an interference with another application. When I was trying to find the cause, I had terminated all applications, which somehow works with keyboard on system level (e.g. installs their own keyboard hooks, keyboard shortcuts etc.). But I forgot, that Synergy (application for sharing input devices on different machines via network) uses own service, which captures input devices on machine, which acts as Synergy server. Synergy server is my laptop. When I stop that service, both issue are solved - FTP master password and drive selectbox too. Another machines are Synergy clients, which doesn't interfere with TC.

So I should move my complaint to another forum, I guess :)

Thank you for your help!
Dawid Ferenczy