This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTPS in 9.0: why using a 'S' in 'ftpS://' ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC Behaviour which will not be changed Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZlydenGL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: FTPS in 9.0: why using a 'S' in 'ftpS://' ? Reply with quote

In 9.0 version if checkbox "SSL/TLS" in ftp connection settings window checked, server address is automatically altered to "ftps://yourserver". But IIS, as an example, don't know "s" in ftp name protocol, and same do various other FTP servers. At the end of the day Total Commander 9.0 can't be used for a lot of FTP secure servers.

I can't remember similar problem in version 8.52a.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftps:// is not used to resolve the name or to connect, it's just to store the connection type.

Maybe your server does not support FTPS, but instead SFTP? These two only have a similar name in common, they are completely different protocols!

FTPS: This is ftp over an SSL-encrypted connection, similar to HTTPS being HTTP over SSL.

SFTP: This is a file transfer protocol via SSH (secure shell). You need a file system plugin to use this.
ZlydenGL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for quick reply!

No, I'm definitelly talking about FTPS, because IIS can't do sFTP as far as I remember Smile

And the problem is definitelly in ftpS as connection protocol name. If I manually delete "s" from protocol name - connection is being established w/o any problem... but it is unsecured connection, and checkbox "SSL/TLS" becomes unchecked when I manually delete "s" from protocol name in server address field.

Again, no such problem in 8.52..
ZlydenGL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my bet: same problem in versions 8.52 and 8.52a Sad Will look down by versions.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "ftps://" in address is just a local hint for TC to use SSL/TLS, it's not sent anywhere. If it's there, TC takes the hostname (or numeric address) and connects to given (or default) port. AFAIK there's a simple autodetection of implicit or explicit encryption. If server does not send anything for few seconds, TC assumes implicit encryption (same kind as used e.g. by HTTPS) and does the negotiation. If server returns welcome message, TC uses AUTH TLS command.

If you have properly configured IIS FTP, TLS with TC should work just fine. It definitely does with mine. You should be more specific what exactly happens (or doesn't happen) in your case.
ZlydenGL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitelly, sorry for inconvenience, the problem mentioned is not a problem of TCMD at all - I was "lucky" to catch both my main IIS FTP servers during some kind of maintenance procedures, and at the moment everything works fine with both of them.

Please close this ticket as non-relevant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> TC Behaviour which will not be changed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: