OPENLANGUAGEFILE closes TC help

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: OPENLANGUAGEFILE closes TC help

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her

The goal, as I understand it, is to not have two different .chm files open at the same time, since it will only be the one that will open by F1, that would react contextually to further presses on F1.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, that's the main concern.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2ghisler(Author)
You wrote that the help will be closed if F1 is pressed and another one is called. What does the problems I described with calling OPENLANGUAGEFILE have to do with it?
Fla$her wrote: 2023-06-13, 23:13 UTC ✅ OPENLANGUAGEFILE without parameters — the language remains the same, the help will close.
✅ OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_ENG.LNG — the language remains the same, the help will close.
❌ OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG — the language changes to German, the help will close, regardless of the presence of Language\WCMD_DEU.CHM. TC 11.00b6 x32.

I don't see the point in closing the help at all if I'm reading it at the moment, especially considering that other languages, even with WCMD_LNG.CHM, don't have updates to familiarize themselves with new features.

The following behavior is expected:

✅ For all helps: if the language matches, the help will not be closed.

❌ For German and English help: if the language switches between these two, the help will be reopened on the current page.

❌ For references other than German and English: if the language does not match, the help will not be closed.
Fla$her wrote: 2023-06-14, 20:35 UTC I still can't continue reading the updated help from the same place when the localization changes.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I can confirm it. It only works when you press F1 after each OPENLANGUAGEFILE call.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

16.06.23 Fixed: Changing the display language would still close the help file when changing it multiple times in a row without pressing F1 in between changes (32)
And how to understand this? The problem concerned the closure of the help, which was opened with F1.
Fla$her wrote: 2023-06-13, 19:52 UTC 1. F1 (Help)
So far, the behavior has not changed.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

So far, the behavior has not changed.
It's clearly changed in TC 11 beta 8 32-bit: when there is no language-specific wmcd_lang.chm file, you can call
OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG
and
OPENLANGUAGEFILE
as many times in a row as you want, it will never close the help.

It will still close the help when there is a language-specific wmcd_lang.chm file, this is intentional.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-22, 10:04 UTC It's clearly changed in TC 11 beta 8 32-bit: when there is no language-specific wmcd_lang.chm file, you can call
OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG
and
OPENLANGUAGEFILE
as many times in a row as you want, it will never close the help.
But WCMD_DEU.LNG is essentially wmcd_lang.chm!
If I press F1 and then switch to German or any other, then the English help will close. I checked it right away.
With the German interface, executing OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_ENG.LNG closes the German help, regardless of the absence of WCMD_ENG.CHM.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-22, 10:04 UTC It will still close the help when there is a language-specific wmcd_lang.chm file, this is intentional.
Don't you realize that this intent is harmful to users? I am trying to overcome this intention, which is why this topic was created.
I still can't continue reading the NEW English help in the right place when switching to any other language that has the OLD help, which is completely useless when familiarizing myself with new features. How can you not understand this? Constant rediscovery takes a lot of time...
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't you realize that this intent is harmful to users?
I don't understand why this would be harmful. If you intentially setup separate help files for each language, then they should be used when you switch languages! If you don't want this, why do you use wcmd_lang.chm files? Just stick with a single help file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator message

Moved to 'will not be changed
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-06-23, 13:27 UTC I don't understand why this would be harmful.
I have explained everything to you above thoroughly. The user on an ongoing basis refers to the help in HIS language.
But when there is a need to get acquainted only with new features, he has to read English or German help.
And you kill this opportunity when switching the language. This is harmful to users of other languages. You slow down the familiarization process, the user has to spend time reopening the help in the right place.
What's more, you still haven't done the requested switch between German and English help on the right page.

I often switch the language for efficiency tests and comparison with work in other languages. At the same time, I read the help in English or German. I want to continue reading it in the process of changing languages and open any pages I need from different dialogues. This is important for usability.
Last edited by Fla$her on 2023-06-30, 12:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Fla$her
Maybe it's faster (to implement) if you create a button or TC start menu item that opens %COMMANDER_PATH%\totalcmd.chm which is not tied to pressing F1 to open it. The disadvantage is that the help can't be closed by ESC.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2Dalai
This is not a solution for opening the necessary pages from dialogs, as I have repeatedly written above.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Maybe ask for a wincmd.ini option:
CloseHelpOnLangChange=1
0: Never
1: Only when language specific help file exists
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
Good thought.
Overquoting is evil! 👎