Lost checkmark and got disabled status for checkbox in Search form

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lost checkmark and got disabled status for checkbox in Search form

Post by *AntonyD »

Yes.
I.e. to help the user in his difficult work, to facilitate his work, you have no plans at the moment?
Everything will remain only as a note in the help file? Did I get that right?
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How would you resolve the dilemma? TC can't tell the search the new selection because:
1. You can open multiple background searches from multiple TC copies
2. You can open multiple background searches, each with different selected files
3. Some users may get confused when they change the selection and it affects all the open background searches, some may get confused if it doesn't.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

How about adding an exclamation mark for the separate search window and explain in the Help that the files/folders are searched that were selected when separate search was invoked?
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

How would you resolve the dilemma?
I'm not sure that it is worth to allow the very fact of its formation!

If the search process was "detached" from the parent process, then at the moment of separation this field (and it seems to be the only one on the whole form, which very much depends on the user's actions BEFORE the FACT of calling the search dialog), or internal data associated with it, unequivocally had the same starting list of files and directories selections, relatively which the user wants to perform this search procedure.
So, next to the "Only search in selected ...." checkbox, make a "List of current selections" button, which will display an editable list of all currently selected files and directories for this search session. Therefore - even if the user later, after the fact of using this dialog to search for something initial somewhere in the original selection, wants (will be forced) to correct this "selection", then - either through this button, through the opened output form the current selection list, it will do this. Or user simply close the "detached" search dialog itself, select what he need in the Total from scratch and open it again, thereby obtaining a new up-to-date selection list, where he need to search for something new.

This approach, by the way, will be the most successful for your example, where it is assumed that the user can open many similar standalone search dialogs. Because how should he navigate them then at nowadays? HOW he will be able to understand - with which current selection and selection of what does this or that active search dialog work with? In the current implementation of the logic, this is not possible.
Therefore, it is most logical to assume that no one launches more than one "detached" search dialog. Precisely because this is the only way at nowadays to guarantee the adequacy of this search for custom selection of objects in the main window of Total. And for such a case, you can keep in touch with the main Total window and update the selection in a real time. And don't allow more than one instance of the "detached" search dialog to open.

And finally - you can do the most expected as well - this is immediately after calling this form in the presence of a list of objects selection - use it, and leave the corresponding checkbox in the 'ON' state and block it from changing. BUT! immediately after the start of the dialog! So that later no change of focus could change this state. After all, the user has already made his choice on the necessary files / directories. Now in this opened form, he will only supplement the search conditions with the help of the GUI elements he needs on the form, in the tabs.
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

How about adding an exclamation mark for the separate search window and explain in the Help that the files/folders are searched that were selected when separate search was invoked?
That's a good idea - I will show the exclamation mark AND uncheck the option when the user switches away from separate search for the first time and the option was enabled.
So, next to the "Only search in selected ...." checkbox, make a "List of current selections" button, which will display an editable list of all currently selected files and directories for this search session.
That would be the most useful, but I don't want to add such a rather complex function (requiring translation) at this late time in the beta test.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-03, 14:23 UTC
That's a good idea - I will show the exclamation mark AND uncheck the option when the user switches away from separate search for the first time and the option was enabled.
I think it is too complex and confusing for users. My suggestion is to never uncheck the option and always display the exclamation mark when the option is enabled in separate search (and add the suggested explanation to the Help).
This is also more in line with the exclamation mark in front of the option 'Search archives'. It indicates: be aware, this options is enabled and you may want to disable it.
I don't think it is wise to add an exclamation mark where the user is supposed to understand: be aware, this option was automatically disabled and you may want to enable it again.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

white wrote:I think it is too complex and confusing for users. My suggestion is to never uncheck the option and always display the exclamation mark when the option is enabled in separate search (and add the suggested explanation to the Help).
I tend to agree with that,.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is no need for the exclamation mark when the separate search is opened initially. The function will behave just like the internal search. A warning is only needed when the user switches away from the dialog box. Of course I will change the help accordingly - currently it explains why the option gets disabled when you switch away from the search dialog box.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-04, 09:02 UTC There is no need for the exclamation mark when the separate search is opened initially.
To be clear, my suggestion is to show the exclamation mark only when the option "Only search in selected directories/files" is enabled, either when separate search is opened initially or when the option is re-enabled later by the user.
Then the behavior is consistent and the user will soon learn what it means.
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-04, 09:02 UTC A warning is only needed when the user switches away from the dialog box.
The exclamation mark and unchecking of the option "Only search in selected directories/files" only when the user switches away from separate search for the first time and the option was enabled, is very specific and nonintuitive and may not be what the user wants (you shouldn't force the unchecking of the option on to the user). This behavior is likely to give users a feeling of unease. It also doesn't address the situation where the user unchecks the option, does a search and then enables the option again for a new search.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

HISTORY.TXT wrote:03.07.23 Fixed: Find files, search in separate process: Do not disable option "Only search in selected directories/files" when switching away from search - instead, disable it and show warning icon (32/64)
Sigh, brilliant. It will show the warning icon even if the option is unchecked by the user. And if you continue to use the separate search all day (with or without the option) it will keep displaying the warning icon to remind you that you switched away from search before doing your first search.
If you, on the other hand, do not switch away and uncheck the option (or not) and perform a search, then you can search all day with or without the option and the warning icon is never displayed.

2ghisler(Author)
In my opinion my suggested solution is much simpler and makes much more sense. I ask you to reconsider.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2white
I ask you to reconsider.
Support+++++++++++++
#146217 personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sigh, brilliant. It will show the warning icon even if the option is unchecked by the user.
And?
The checkbox is enabled only when something was selected in Total Commander when you opened the separate search. The user still needs to be warned in this case, even if he manually disabled the option. For example the user could
1. Have selected some files
2. Opened separate search
3. Recognized his mistake that he selected the wrong files
4. Unchecked "Search selected"
5. Switched back to TC
6. Selected the correct filed
7. Switched back to separate search
8. Re-checked "Search selected"
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-07-09, 09:11 UTC The user still needs to be warned in this case, even if he manually disabled the option. For example the user could
8. Re-checked "Search selected"
He only needs to be warned if he does step 8 (and when the option is enabled from the start), which is exactly my proposal.

And if it's so important, why do you do not warn the user if the user does one or more searches between step 4 and 5.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

4-5-6 - AT 99% of cases will not be performed. User will simply close ALL form, go back to TC, select now appropriate objects and will recall the search form from scratch.
#146217 personal license