Stuck tooltip, and TC going into limbo. Anyone else?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rekrul

Stuck tooltip, and TC going into limbo. Anyone else?

Post by *Rekrul »

I'm using TC 11.02 under Windows XP. I cannot reproduce these problems, so I'm posting this here to see if anyone else has experienced these.

Every once in a while, I get a tooltip stuck on the screen that says "Total Commander home". All the normal methods of getting rid of a stuck tooltip (WIn-D to minimize all windows, refreshing the desktop, even killing and restarting Explorer) don't get rid of it. It will be on top of all other programs, and even on the desktop if all the windows are minimized. Sometimes it goes away on its own, and sometimes closing TC will get rid of it, but one time, I had to reboot to get rid of it.

It's usually in about the same spot as a tooltip would be if I pointed to the drive buttons above the left file pane. Unfortunately I usually don't notice it when it first appears because I'm not always looking at that part of the screen and it kind of blends in with some programs. It's only when I switch to a web browser or go to watch a video that I notice it's stuck on the screen. The strange part is that I can't even find anything to hover the mouse over that shows this tooltip.

The second problem has only happened a couple times, but when it does, TC goes completely off into limbo. I can't bring the window to the front, and if I minimize the windows in front of it, all I see is a blank window with a blank title bar. I have to use Task Manager to kill it.

As I said, I have no idea what causes either problem.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Stuck tooltip, and TC going into limbo. Anyone else?

Post by *petermad »

The strange part is that I can't even find anything to hover the mouse over that shows this tooltip
TC itself does not have that string "Total Commander home", can you search all your ini files to see if you have the string in any of them.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

"Total Commander Home" sounds like a tooltip on a website. So far I couldn't find such a hint on the TC homepage or this forum.

I find it very likely that the tooltip stems from some website in your browser. IIRC some browser (Firefox?) fixed such stuck tooltips recently in a new version. But since you said you use WinXP, that's not going to help you in any way.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

petermad wrote: 2024-01-25, 14:55 UTC TC itself does not have that string "Total Commander home", can you search all your ini files to see if you have the string in any of them.
I just checked and none of the INI files have that string.
Dalai wrote: 2024-01-25, 15:22 UTC "Total Commander Home" sounds like a tooltip on a website. So far I couldn't find such a hint on the TC homepage or this forum.

I find it very likely that the tooltip stems from some website in your browser. IIRC some browser (Firefox?) fixed such stuck tooltips recently in a new version. But since you said you use WinXP, that's not going to help you in any way.
Pale moon does label the main website as "Total Commander - home", and to be honest, I don't remember if the tooltip has a hyphen or not. However, I've had it pop up in sessions when I haven't even visited the website. Also, I never saw this happen before using the 11.x versions, and all the browsers are the same as I've been using for a few years now. I do have a newer browser that I use occasionally on problem websites, but I just checked and I've never visited the website with it (I only downloaded that version about a month ago and unzipped it to a new directory, so the history is only a month old). Finally, if it is a browser bug, why is it always the same tooltip for Total Commander home?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try using Process Explorer to find out to which process the window belongs to:
https://superuser.com/questions/249403/how-can-i-determine-what-process-a-window-belongs-to
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Rekrul wrote: 2024-01-26, 09:23 UTCPale moon does label the main website as "Total Commander - home", and to be honest, I don't remember if the tooltip has a hyphen or not. However, I've had it pop up in sessions when I haven't even visited the website.
I don't think it's necessary to visit the site. Do you have a bookmark for it in your browser? If so, hovering the mouse above that bookmark will show the name in a tooltip and some other factors can trigger that it gets stuck somehow.

PaleMoon is a Firefox fork, so it probably has the same bug that was fixed in Firefox recently.
Finally, if it is a browser bug, why is it always the same tooltip for Total Commander home?
Coincidence, more or less. It could be due to the placement of this particular bookmark on the bookmark bar. Try hiding the bookmark bar or move the bookmark to a different location on the bar.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Rekrul

Post by *Rekrul »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2024-01-26, 09:47 UTC Try using Process Explorer to find out to which process the window belongs to:
https://superuser.com/questions/249403/how-can-i-determine-what-process-a-window-belongs-to
It's not a window, it's a tooltip. I can't find any way to ID it with Process Explorer.
Dalai wrote: 2024-01-26, 11:45 UTC I don't think it's necessary to visit the site. Do you have a bookmark for it in your browser? If so, hovering the mouse
Nope, no bookmark for the Total Commander website.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Tooltips are just windows too. Unfortunately many of them go away when clicking on them. You need to find a tool which does the same as Process Explorer, but doesn't need a click (just hovering on it with the mouse).

Moderator message

Moved to English forum
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

Nirsoft has a couple of tools which could help:

GUIPropView
SysExporter
WinExplorer

GUIPropView should be the most useful.
Set the options "Always On Top" and "Auto Refresh" (might not be necessary in this case).
Then drag the crosshair icon and hover over the tooltip.