The fixed markers for manual matching when comparing

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

The fixed markers for manual matching when comparing

Post by *AntonyD »

In today's version of File's Comparing internal tool we have a pretty useful option for fixing a pair of lines -
which will provide the STARTING point of a whole comparison process for NEXT lines below them...
So far so good. BUT! I can set as much as I need it of those resync starting points, but ONLY till
the pressing of the "Compare" button...

After that, all these exposed pairs of clarifications for different lines in both files will be reset.
And again I will have to start the comparison process from scratch, looking for these places and
manually placing 'resync'-markers again for all these pairs of related lines in files.

The question is, what is the difficulty in maintaining these positions?
Suggestion - it's time to start saving all these matched pairs of strings set by the user
for the manual comparison process. And then, when we repeat the comparison, we
will not lose the exposed pairs of interconnected file lines.
Last edited by AntonyD on 2024-03-21, 08:02 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: The fixed markers for manual matching when comparing

Post by *petermad »

but ONLY till the pressing
the button "Compare"...
Why would you press Compare again- the files are already compared?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

2petermad
In some next topic, we discussed such a detail as "muscle memory" - the using of hotkeys in fact....
Well, sometimes I just produce false clicks. The hotkeys for the previous difference and comparison
are very close on my RU key.layout....
And the second point: for ex. if I made a review for the diff in a file for 50% of its size - and then realized, that
I must make a small editing. So after exiting from the Edit mode RE-comparison process is automatically starting...
So after that I will lose all my prev. 50% of work.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AntonyD
So after exiting from the Edit mode RE-comparison process is automatically starting...
That is not what I experience I don't see any automatic re-comparing taking place, when I switch back from Editing mode.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I don't see any automatic re-comparing
Still, yes, it is difficult to express your thoughts in another language. The translation begins to partially distort the deep meaning of what I wanted to say.
Yes, "this" literally does not happen automatically without human intervention. BUT here you have to read “through the lines,” which is why I say that it is more difficult to describe this in another language. I wanted to write shorter, but I have to write a whole paragraph)))))

After the edit is finished, Lister does not unmark the line for difference because it literally does NOT compare ANYTHING in that edited line with its counterpart in the second file. And if I correct something, then most likely I do it to remove the difference, i.e. I need Lister to stop treating this line as different from the next one. And to do this, you need to force it to compare the files. Again. Of course, I would like to force Lister to compare ONLY these lines - one original and the other edited - but It doesn’t know how to do that unfortunately. Therefore, immediately after finishing the editing mode, the button "Compare" is automatically pressed by me and both files are compared.
And all those manual alignment marks for RE-sync that were set earlier are instantly lost of course.
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

AntonyD wrote: 2024-03-22, 06:35 UTC
I don't see any automatic re-comparing
I don't see any automatic re-comparing either.

But the normal case is that with more complex comparisons you always trigger a re-compare in intermediate steps so that you can cancel a further step if necessary without losing the changes you have made before. So both are right: AntonyD and also petermad.

Nevertheless, I am against that the positions are retained as desired by AntonyD. Why?

It's just too complicated to develop it so that it ALWAYS works perfectly and without errors so that you can rely on it when comparing after a re-compare. I won't explain it in detail here, everyone can imagine what kind of cases can arise... But the end of the story would be that you would have to look at all the desired places again anyway - by hand - and anyway must control all positions. So it's better to just have it manual only adjustable.

In other words: I am against this expansion of the compare tool.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

I don't see any automatic re-comparing either.
You did not read my explanations about "what does it mean `automatic action` in my case"?
After my explanation, there is no logic in mentioning that such an action does not exist when actually using this tool..
So it's better to just have it manual only adjustable.
If I used this tool to compare fifty-line files, then yes, your truth - I would have the ability to constantly go to the beginning of the file
and re-set all the manual RE-sync markers until I reach the next difference that requires editing...
So, Yes - 50 lines would definitely be an easy play-action for me....
But... for 1000 line files? for 3000 lines? After setting 50/100 markers, you do need to re-set them again and again and again .... ufffff....
It seems to me that you just used this opportunity very little. You are simply not tired of these repetitive actions.
Last edited by AntonyD on 2024-03-22, 14:08 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2AntonyD
After the edit is finished, Lister does not unmark the line for difference
Well, it sets the line number to 0 - so you can see that the line has been edited.
License #524 (1994)
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Well, it sets the line number to 0 - so you can see that the line has been edited.
Look like you still does not fully understand my thoughts.
I want there to be no trace that the line was edited. Literally there should NOT be any signs of any
difference - if I change the proper line accordingly!
So after exiting from Edit mode a new re-sync operation and does this job - literally removing those signs...
But also it removes and all marks for manual RE-sync, which on a prev.step have been set properly.
#146217 personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well I guess it would be possible, without too much effort, to make TC re-compare the lines that are currently marked with 0 - either automatically or by request - maybe just for the active line when going out of Edit mode and not to all edited lines.
License #524 (1994)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

petermad wrote: 2024-03-22, 17:37 UTC Well I guess it would be possible, without too much effort, to make TC re-compare the lines that are currently marked with 0 - either automatically or by request...
You have to check anyway afterwards whether it worked the way you wanted the re-compare: that's why it's pointless.
petermad wrote: 2024-03-22, 17:37 UTC maybe just for the active line when going out of Edit mode and not to all edited lines.
just for the active line: uninteresting.