Removing unwanted languages from installer CAB file

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

Removing unwanted languages from installer CAB file

Post by *DRP535 »

Can I safely remove the entire directory "d" inside the installer CAB archive if I only ever need and install as English language with no other languages installed? It appears to only contain German language help file data.

I want to remove as many unneeded files as possible to get the program down to the smallest size whilst remaining installable. I have already removed all the language files except "Wcmd_eng.mnu" in the Language directory and that works just fine. Can I do the same with the d directory?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I have already removed all the language files except "Wcmd_eng.mnu" in the Language directory and that works just fine. Can I do the same with the d directory?
Why don't you just try it out, too, like you have already done with Wcmd_eng.mnu? :shock:

You can not only remove files you don't need but also adjust the installation as a whole by editing the INSTALL.INF file:

auto=1
lang=1
alllang=0

Icfu
This account is for sale
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Can I safely remove the entire directory "d" inside the installer CAB archive if I only ever need and install as English language with no other languages installed?
Yes you can. But you should also modify the install.inf to ensure that the English help is installed when choosing German:

Change
2=Deutsch (German),d
to
2=Deutsch (German),g

Change
d=wcmd_deu
to
g=wcmd_deu

Change
[inid]
to
[inig]

(d is special, it looks for subdir 'd')

If you remove the lng and mnu files, you can also remove the sections under [Languages], and set
count=1
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Excellent. Thanks for that Christian. That's just the kind of helpful response I was hoping to get :-)
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you remove the lng and mnu files, you can also remove the sections under [Languages], and set
count=1
So now my Languages section looks like this:

Code: Select all

[Languages]
Count=1
Default=1
1=English
2=Deutsch (German),g
I have removed all the other references other than the german and english ones and changed count to 1. Is that correct?

Following the first respondent's reply I have also made the following changes to the Auto section:

Code: Select all

[auto]
auto=1
lang=1
alllang=0
iniloc=
iniall=0
mkgroup=1
mkdesktop=1
I don't know what this will do but I'm hoping it will automate the install procedure somewhat by removing the question about choice of language and just go ahead and install english as default. Is that correct?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have removed all the other references other than the german and english ones and changed count to 1. Is that correct?
If you change the count to 1, you can also leave out the German language line. It's only needed if you want this language too, but without the German help (just the lng+mnu files).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com