[OT] Slow dialogs

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

rolandd

[OT] Slow dialogs

Post by *rolandd »

Hello all,

As I am at a loss at what to do to solve this annoying problem I decided to post here :)

Here is what happens:
When I right click an image in FF or IE and choose to save the picture. I get the Save dialog box. Then I click the down arrow to get the overview of my drives and folders. This list can take from 1 to a few minutes to show up. Once it shows up and I can click the down arrow again and then it shows up immediately. Today I noticed when I right click a file and choose Send to, it takes also quite a bit of time before it shows up.

Nothing has been changed on the machine. When I am waiting for the list to appear I do not see anything strange in the taskmanager. It just keeps running between the 5 and 10 percent. Swap file is around 350MB. There is only 1 network connection but that is working fine. No lag.

The only thing I can think of is the extensive folder structures on the 3 disks. Then for me the question still is, why now and not before :?

In TC I went to change the menu file in the configuration screen and did a browse there. There it also takes a long time to come up with the folder list.

Can anybody give me an insight in this problem? I am totally :roll:

All this runs on a Windows XP Professional Edition SP2.

Thanks,

RolandD
Registered user #92105
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

Have you an active antivirus? Have you tried to clean system registry and whole system? Try to remember when exactly the problem arose and what were your last actions before it.
Last edited by Jungle on 2006-01-12, 09:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Maybe a little cleanup is overdue on you machine, like deleting temp dirs, defragment, clean the registry etc.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Thanks for the replies.

The anti-virus program running on that system is AVG Anti-virus as it runs on all other machines too. I like this one ;)

As for defragmentation, Windows says it is not necessary I did look at it but will do so anyway.

As for registry cleaning. Do you have any kind of tool to suggest or should I just do it manually?

As for the last actions, it is kind of difficult to say. My dad uses that computer and he says nothing has changed in the way he uses the computer (don't most users do :P).
Registered user #92105
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

rolandd wrote:The anti-virus program running on that system is AVG Anti-virus as it runs on all other machines too. I like this one ;)
Have you tried to disable it for a short time to test if it causes the problem (with disconnecting from network to prevent possible attacks)?
As for registry cleaning. Do you have any kind of tool to suggest or should I just do it manually?
There are a lot of programs for registry optimization. For example: WinASO Registry Optimizer, AMUST Registry Cleaner, Work With Registry...

What about deleting internet cache, history, temp files and other useless things?.. How often do you clean your system?

I've just got an idea. Try to boot up you OS in safe mode and find out whether the problem remains or not...
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Jungle wrote:What about deleting internet cache, history, temp files and other useless things?.. How often do you clean your system?
Generally, I do this no later than every 2 weeks.
I've just got an idea. Try to boot up you OS in safe mode and find out whether the problem remains or not...
Did that but the result is the same.
Have you tried to disable it for a short time to test if it causes the problem (with disconnecting from network to prevent possible attacks)?
Still no change

Here is what I have done so far:
  • WinASO Registry Optimizer
  • AMUST Registry Cleaner
  • Compact the registry
  • Spybot Search and Destroy
  • Delete temporary internet files (this I have standard set to 10MB)
  • Abexo Free Registry Cleaner
Any other suggestions?

P.s. Defragmentation is scheduled for this night (otherwise it is a long wait ;)). Maybe I should wait for that?
Registered user #92105
frenky

Post by *frenky »

2rolandd

Do you have DMA on?

Mybe you have some HW problems?
Download Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com and see if DPC (Deferred Procedure Call) is high - During normal operation it should be arround 0.
If you have DMA off, this will rize, but if high it is also indicative of HW problems...

[Edit]
Check also for errors in Event Log.
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

2frenky
Here is what I found:
In process explorer the DPC's have a n/a state. I see the CPU usage go up to about 1 or 2 percent.

The event viewer however gives a more "interesting" view. The system log shows repetitive issues with DCOM. The message is (translated):
The server {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811} has not registered within the required time with DCOM.
The application log shows the following (again translated ;)):
The COM+-event has found an illegal resultcode within an internal procedure. HRESULT is 80040154 for line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. This can mean that the COM+event is not properly installed. Install the COM+eventsystem again.
For sure is that the path mentioned in the error does not exist. Though I am not sure wat the COM does or where to download it (or even what to download :oops: ).

Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks :D
Registered user #92105
frenky

Post by *frenky »

2rolandd
Try following...
1. Create new user and see if a problem occures with this user.
If not.
2. Try to isolate the service or driver or whatever what is causing the problem.

For "how to" see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222&Product=winxp
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434
Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2rolandd
Do you have a very large zip file (like 500 Mb with lots of files and folders inside) in the ROOT of your drive?

I once had that on a NTFS partition and it slowed down the first-time reading of the drive in IE extremely.

After I moved that file away from the root everything was back to normal.

Just an idea....
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
rolandd

Post by *rolandd »

Hello all,

Today I re-installed windows on the machine and found the culprit. There is a HP PSC 1100 connected to the computer via USB. When I install the drivers for this the problem occurs. When I remove the drivers. The problem disappears. This is on a clean system.

Will have to contact HP about this as I don't know how else to solve it.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

RolandD
Registered user #92105
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Good luck - big companies usually tend to ignore user requests because of the big volume of e-mail they get every day...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com