[OT] English word for "turn-off-able"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Captain

[OT] English word for "turn-off-able"

Post by *Captain »

Not sure if there is one word for 'turn-off-able' in English! Togglable? Configurable? Enablable? I think 'Can be disabled' says it all. A yes.. Optional!!!

[mod]This thread has been split from the Are there plans for TC V7 thread.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hmm... "Optional" seems to be the closest, but it's not the same to what is meant by "can be turned off". :)
Enablable?
Disablable. :lol:
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

English is not meant to be used for complicated adjectives and adverbs, it's a language spoken by cowboys and island monkeys so some words simply don't exist and can also not be built on-the-fly.

When in doubt, just use turn-off-able. ;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

icfu
Thanks for the advice. ;)

djk
You're welcome. :)
It was just a small practice in German for me. Unfortunately, I don't know it well enough...

all
Sorry for this small offtopic here.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Flint
Hmm... "Optional" seems to be the closest, but it's not the same to what is meant by "can be turned off"
If it can be turned on again - it is Optional!

BTW turnoff in English either means an exit road, OR something that makes you loose interest in a matter.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Flint wrote:BTW, some OT: how to say in English in one word that the feature can be turned off? "Turnable off"?
Unplugged, disconnected, disenabled, disengaged? :idea:
icfu wrote:... it's a language spoken by cowboys and island monkeys...
Sacre bleu!! - a HIGHLY contentious statement likely to cause irreparable damage to international relations! Sljivovica is an insignificant trifle compared to this insult - all patriotic simians are rushing to load their catapults with sh!t at this very moment! See what a careless remark like that can do!!? :lol:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It's nothing but the truth, nothing contentious here. :)

Languages of people living on islands degenerate. If you only see coconuts the whole day, after a few generations noone will know what an apple is anymore.

The simplicity of English language is annoying:
I do
You do
He does (does? Huh? What's that? Two more generations of hip hoppers and the es will be gone too, I am sure)
We do
You do
They do

In Germany if you meet people on the street talking like that:
Ich tun
Du tun
Er tun
Wir tun
Ihr tun
Sie tun

everyone will think that you are either stupid or just start learning the language. ;)

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-01-27, 16:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Ich tun
Du tun
Er tun
Wir tun
Ihr tun
Sie tun
The German language seems to be quite consistent :D
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2icfu
Languages of people living on islands degenerate. If you only see coconuts the whole day, after a few generations noone will know what an apple is anymore.
Good point! :D
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Languages of people living on islands degenerate.
Another outrageous assertion only true if you live on a tropical isle that you can walk round in a day! The people of Java, Iceland, Ireland and Jamaica are now up in arms. :wink: Cross-border invasions, conquest, rape, pillage, immigration - all contribute to the enrichment and culture of the language, spread it, and keep it from ossifying, island or no (ask the Romans). And btw, I'm very fond of a lovely bunch of coconuts too!
The simplicity of English language is annoying:
Ah, but that is the very key to its undeniable success, you see? It's a Darwinian universe we live in and the very absence of over-complexity allows other beings to absorb and adapt it to their own uses. Sometimes it becomes almost incomprehensible as a result, but the DNA is unmistakable.

Try the child-like 'Ich tun' outside of the cosy confines of a couple of countries in Europe and what are you likely to get in spite of its simplicity? A 'huh?' and a shrugging of shoulders, I suspect. A sophisticated even more complicated construct would be worse.

But use 'I do' elsewhere and you might win yourself the hand of the most sleek and lovely girl in a foreign country! I really like that. "I do, you do, he does, we do, you do, they do" is a winning combination in my book because of their simple elegance. I rest my case! :mrgreen:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Squire wrote: But use 'I do' elsewhere and you might win yourself the hand of the most psleek and lovely girl in a foreign country! I really like that. "I do, you do, he does, we do, you do, they do" is a winning combination in my book because of their simple elegance. I rest my case!
Well, that is good point !
But it is also as true as saying that BASIC is winning language in your book becuase of it simple elegance, comparing to C++.

So you can choose: be a shugardaddy.... or be something more....
Habemus majkam!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

But it is also as true as saying that BASIC is winning language in your book becuase of it simple elegance, comparing to C++.
No, no, not BASIC please! That's a quick 'n dirty interpreter useful for q'n'd things (we all need those) but hardly elegant. I would have used standard C or Lua against C++ in the comparison.

You pose such difficult questions: hmm, [sugar daddy plus beautiful maiden] or [something else minus beautiful maiden]......let me think......sob! :cry: I am so weak, I choose the first! Please forgive me. 8)
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

That is so cool ;)
Habemus majkam!
Innuendo

Post by *Innuendo »

Flint,
A good word in English that describes what you are asking is "toggled" or maybe even better "disabled".
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Innuendo
Not exactly, but this is not the place to discuss it. The discussion about it was moved to another thread (as you can see from the Moderator's post just above).