[REQ] Leave attributes untouched during copying

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[REQ] Leave attributes untouched during copying

Post by *petermad »

If I copy a file and there already is a file with the same name in the target directory and that file is marked as a read-only, hidden or system file, then I can choose to overwrite the file, but then these attributes are removed from the target file if the source file doesn't have the same attributes.

I would like an option in the configuration to always leave the attributes of the target file untouched during copying when the sum of the atributes of the target files i higher than the sum is for the source file - e.g. attributes can be added but not removed from the target file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, that's a very strange request - all programs I know keep the attributes of the copied file, not of the file which was already there. Why would this be useful?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)
Why would this be useful?
An example: I have manually marked some files read-only so that I don't accidently delete them or some program doesn't overwrite them without me knowing it. Once in a while I want to update these read-only files for example from a downloaded archive, but the source files are not marked read-only - so after the updating I have to manually mark the files as read-only once again.

I mean - target files are put there and marked by ME for a reason - source files can often not be marked (by me) in advance for example if they are on a CD-ROM, in an archive or on a network without writing permissions.

Notice: this should of course be configurable, especially because it is not "normal" behaviour.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar