(Out of Topic) Do we need a "OUT OF TOPIC" forum?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

SQUIRE wrote:Perhaps the subject line should always be filled in with something like [OT]
Perhaps the start of the message should be [OT]. I don't have a habit to look at the subject since it is almost always empty, and I don't use RSS fead.
Sir_Silva wrote:As it is majkinetor ! who starts OT in nearly evry THREAD im fine with what the mods are doing right now.
Hej, Silva I see you didn't evolve 1 percent from the last time we spoke...even worse - you keep your degradation in constant.
It is really your fault that you don't have too much different topics to speak about, except maybe football, cars and TC. Every sentence here wake up several threads in my head.... and none is about your few favorite topics I mentioned. That must be the root of our problems here.

So please, read few book, take some night classes, and come to daddy when you have something to say that will not waste my time.

2 Sans
be patient please..... we are very busy folks you know.
Habemus majkam!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

SanskritFritz wrote:then we could separate those OT and OnTopic flows without disrupting the thread itself.
Egg-xact-ly! :P
majkinator ! wrote:I don't have a habit to look at the subject
Better look or Hacker will stone you! :wink:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

THE Hacker .......... where is he.... where ?

AAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHHHHH.. nooooo.....

S q..... u.....i....................re.............. y o u.... w e ..r...e...... right......... I should....h a ...v...e .....b...e..e..n.....looking .... aaaa.rgh.......

NARATOR:
and thats how all our hopes have died......majkinetor is ... not anymore.
Habemus majkam!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

[OT] This post is off topic

Post by *Sheepdog »

Hey Lefteous,

I like a 'follow the forum rules', too.

This merging mod may be a nice toy. But I think it's really inappropriate to merge several threads only for you decide they belong together.

Where shall it start, where will it end?

Do you want to merge all threads regarding " I want to rename a bunch of files with MRT, how can I do this?" and all with "Alt F5 does no longer pack my files, what'S wrong here?

In my opinion these threads should be divided again and the resulting posts may be moved to a completely new thread"[OT] Revolution against mergin threads".

Kind regards

Stefan aka sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

THE Hacker .......... where is he.... where ?
:?: Behind you, of course. Villains always approach from behind! :wink:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

This merging mod may be a nice toy
Live the kids playing..... don't be such a hard ass....

2 SQUIRE
Just out of bed again ? Watching Sex and the City again whole night ? c...c..c...
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

petermad wrote:I dont know if the merging of OT's has anything to do with it, but right now I am getting THREE email notifications for every reply in this particular thread - Very annoying!!!!
Oh dear, I think you're quite right. Something is not right. I'm getting 3 emails for the same post too. :(
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2SQUIRE
Thank you for confirming this! Helps me knowing that I am not the only one - then something might be done to solve it ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Moderators:
I don't write emails because this case if of public interest and it doesn't help anyone if I am the only one knowing the reasons for the latest thread merges.
In the end I would write it down here anyway so it makes no sense to abuse you as a middleman.

What's going on here?

Icfu
This account is for sale
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

As has been stated several times by the forum admin, there will be no off-topic forum. This is for two reasons:
1. This is a support board for a software product, and it should look like one.
2. It would take a lot of time for the developer/admin to read all the unnecessary off-topic threads, since he is responsible for the whole content of this forum.

So you have these choices:
1. Continue having off-topic discussions (not one-two off-topic posts, but off-topic discussions spanning more than ten posts, as in the recent past, for instance - see "optional") in on-topic threads, efectively spamming them, scaring off newbies and making those threads very difficult to read.
2. Let the moderators split each off-topic conversation into a new off-topic thread, which would currently create about 1 off-topic thread for every 5 regular threads (just look at the Recent Rise of Off-Topic Posts), thus making the forum pretty much unreadable.
3. Keep off-topic discussions in a few off-topic threads.
4. Discuss off-topic themes in the appropriate places (e-mail, ICQ, IRC, a community board of your choice).

As a reaction to the rise of off-topic posts, It was the decision of the moderators (not the admin) to move them into a common off-topic thread, as we wanted to keep the forum as clean as possible, fulfilling its main purpose and at the same time allowing for off-topic discussions in acceptable limits.

Any constructive suggestions are welcome.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

4. Discuss off-topic themes in the appropriate places (e-mail, ICQ, IRC, a community board of your choice).
ooooh...myyyyyyy..... GOD!
THE Hacker wrote:As has been stated several times....
Any constructive suggestions are welcome.
So, you basicly say, that, we, the members, are just the pussies, right ?
It can be this also: you are a robot ! And I don't talk to robots, sorry robot !
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

5) Leave the decision if a thread should be splitted to the thread starter. Then continue with 2), one thread per split.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

5) Leave the decision if a thread should be splitted to the thread starter.
The thread starter might not return to the thread after the OT posts. The thread would be difficult to read.
Also, do you think a newbie would have the guts to ask the mods to split OT posts from power members?
Then continue with 2), one thread per split.
What is your suggestion concerning the large amount of different OT subjects lately and my objection that there would be too many OT threads?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

The thread starter might not return to the thread after the OT posts. The thread would be difficult to read.
If the thread starter is not able to answer in the thread or open another thread complaining that he doesn't understand he's not worth that we think about his problems.

I have solved so many problems of dudes who never returned to their threads again and never dropped me a line like *thank you* or *can you repeat that please* that I don't care anymore about them.

If a topic starter doesn't return, I regard *his* problem solved.
What is your suggestion concerning the large amount of different OT subjects lately and my objection that there would be too many OT threads?
I think it's an oscillation with no resonance catastrophe in sight.

I have already told JackFoo that his observation that OT threads are taking control of the forum is wrong, at that time we had four OT threads (including the thread that complained about threads going OT) and 50 or so ontopic on the first page of the English forum, but, where is that thread now? It's buried somewhere in this trash-dump, noone will answer to this matter anymore because the connection to it is broken.

You can only find it by searching the forum or by clicking the pages. Have fun when this thread weighs 100+ pages, what a friendly atmosphere we will be having here, right?

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

I think it's an oscillation with no resonance catastrophe in sight.
Aplause !

Well, let us make this clear.

If you don't stop acting like idiots, I will return to my ANGRY mode. And you don't want that, I don't want that, this forum doesn't want that.

But you live me no choice. This place will suck without good OT threads. Either we don't come here any more, either we fight back, because if you don't care about our feelings after all things we done at this forum, I will understand that like the big fuc*king insult! I learnd here more from OT topics then from regular posts like "[BUG]I have yellow dot in the corner". And second - I know that to you robots out there this may sound strange - you spoiled our FUN. And no fun = no work !

I told you already that OT topic should be splited from main forum to the new TAVERN post... then people can CONTINUE their non TC conversation there and alco continue TC related stuff here. We usualy don't know when OT will start, but when it starts, after few ot topics in succession it can be transfared to the TAVERN (with some cool mederation message like "Message split. Visit the TAVERN for more FUN") ... It's like few friends meet on the street, and after few word they say... Hej, lets find some drink.
Habemus majkam!