[OT] Opera / Maxthon / Firefox, etc.

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Mozilla 1.7.7: 2.422
IE 6.0 sp2: 4.921
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
chiron

Post by *chiron »

Don't forget to clear the browser cache before testing ;)

regards

chiron
Last edited by chiron on 2005-05-18, 08:35 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wincomuser

Post by *Wincomuser »

At the end of the day, it's not the numbers that count. What's important, is what the individual surfer believes about his or her browser of choice.

For the record, I tried most of them at various times: Netscape (since version 2.01, IE since version 3.0, Opera since version 1.6x, and IE shells (myIE, Maxthon). Currently, I'm using Firefox.

I have come to the following conclusion: My personal preference is that a browser should have as a minimum the following features: Tabs, mouse gestures and drag-and-open.

I wish Opera were a little less(!) standards compliant and would open more pages that are designed to be viewed in IE. I would then have used it on a full time basis. :) Having said that, I know that there are workarounds (which also exist with Firefox), allowing one to easily open these "troublesome" pages in IE.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

After trying most of the browsers out there...

I want to like FireFox best, but its tabs implementation is so minimal (without extensions) and so buggy (with extensions) that I have pretty much given up on it. It is also the least compatible with the websites I visit and doesn't have a decent Google sidebar extension (just a cruddy one). Sure wish it would get better though, I really like it.

The only browser that behaves exactly the way I expect it to with regard to the integration of sidebar Google search (I require a single click --not shift-click-- to open a NEW tab) is NetCaptor (an IE wrapper). But NetCaptor doesn't support extensions, has no page or graphics zoom, and fails with embedded Quicktime.

As Mick said, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you get what you need."

Sometimes, indeed.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2chiron

It was with a cleared cache - I've got a 1 Mbit connection :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Peled

Maxthon !!

Post by *Peled »

I am Using Maxthon for quite a long time. It Is fast. It has lots of great features. Almost bug free. Never had a Virus in my PC. Never had to Format my Pentium 3 for the last 4 years.
If you have Good Anti Virus. Good Firewall, and good Anti Spy ( Don't have to run it on line all the time) , You are fine.
You may turn off the Active-X on Maxthon, In order to downgrade it to the lebvel of Firefox, which would not work on certain sites.

I Love the Tabs, The groups ( Open 20 Forums in one click). Love the build in NotePade, Build in Search Windows. The flexibility of opening windows ( The order).

And it is FREE !!!.

Wait for Firefox to be very popular, and all hell will open up with Security.
Hackers don't want to wasit time on it. Not too many users.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2JohnFredC
Try GreenBrowser. IMHO its hot.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

2SanskritFritz

Thanks for the tip but I've tried GreenBrowser. It has no search in the sidebar. Nor do many others. For instance, SlimBrowser isn't bad, but no sidebar search of any kind!

Here is the NetCaptor sidebar with Google in it.
http://www.jfcinc.net/Interfaces/netcaptorsidebar.png

IE does this too, but none of the other browsers I have tried do it properly. For instance, with Firefox a click in the Google (extension) results sidebar reuses the current tab (WRONG!).

Now, with Maxthon, a shift-click in the Google results sidebar plugin gives a new tab. This is sort of OK, but if you forget the shift, then the target page opens in the sidebar ! (WRONG!!!)

Maybe I am just too hard to please.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
I want to like FireFox best, but its tabs implementation is so minimal (without extensions) and so buggy (with extensions) that I have pretty much given up on it.
What functionality are you looking for / what bugs do plague you?
doesn't have a decent Google sidebar extension
What does that extension do / why do you need it?
For instance, with Firefox a click in the Google (extension) results sidebar reuses the current tab
What does a middle-click do?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

I'm using SlimBrowser since 2 years - absolutely fine app! 8)

Some weeks ago I've installed Opera, which is now in parallel use.

Hm, till now I prefer SlimBrowser, because of it's fast WEB page loading. :wink:
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

JohnFredC wrote: For instance, with Firefox a click in the Google (extension) results sidebar reuses the current tab (WRONG!).
Yes! What YOU say is 100% wrong!
With the TabExtension (I dont know where you see bugs...)
its 100% configurable where the search opens:
Current, New, New Background Tab if this doesnt please you...
[I dont knwo how you search but I like to see the result of my search so showing the result in the current Tab is 100% okay for me :D]

PS: there are only 4! actuell Browsers - Opera, FF, IE and Lynx
everything else are only IE extensions... :D
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What about Safari?
It's the first browser which were able to pass the
Acid2 test: http://webstandards.org/act/acid2/
(with some patches)

Source:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/result.xhtml?url=/newsticker/meldung/59145

Are there any browser based on KHTML for the windows platform?
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Hi Hacker!
What functionality are you looking for / what bugs do plague you?
Firefox refuses to close tabs when the tab extensions are active. That's basically it. Inability to close tabs. I end up closing and reopening Firefox.

My needs are really simple.

1. Every single click on a url link anywhere in the browser interface (web-page link to a page outside the current page, address bar, search bar, sidebar, favorites etc.) should open a new tab by default and switch to that tab. Not currently possible in Firefox, for instance. I've tried all the options settings.

2. Sidebar search functionality with results in the sidebar. This is standard IE sidebar behavior. Also, I use Google almost exclusively, so need a Google sidebar implementation.
What does that extension do / why do you need it?
The Google extension for Firefox (like the Google plugin for Maxthon or the Google sidebar for NetCaptor or IE) puts Google in the side bar. The Google search box appears in the sidebar as do the results (very important to have side-by-side results and web pages). This functionality goes back ages ago to the first introduction of IE sidebars. Mimicking IE, NetCaptor puts all sorts of search engines in the sidebar, and other browsers do, too. The Firefox extension that does this reuses the current tab when you click on a search result in the sidebar. I recognize this is the extension programmer's fault, and not really intrinsic to FireFox. Nevertheless... it doesn't work the way I need.
What does a middle-click do?
In the Firefox Google extension? Nothing.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

JohnFredC,
Firefox refuses to close tabs when the tab extensions are active. That's basically it. Inability to close tabs.
I have never encountered that before. What extensions do you use?
1. Every single click on a url link anywhere in the browser interface (web-page link to a page outside the current page, address bar, search bar, sidebar, favorites etc.) should open a new tab by default and switch to that tab. Not currently possible in Firefox, for instance. I've tried all the options settings.
I just set it up using the TabMix extension. Clicks on links work, address bar works, bookmarks work. I do not use search bar or side bar, so I hope you will test it yourself! :)

Concerning the search, I am googling direct from the address bar, so I guess I can't help you there, sorry. :( Maybe the abovementioned extension helps, though. :)

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Opera isn't free. I won't pay for it as long as FireFox is as great as it is.
license #76904