[feature request] Browser style "open new tab"

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

suncho

[feature request] Browser style "open new tab"

Post by *suncho »

Hello, this is another approach to the "tab reuse" problem we discussed in http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=10602
I found that reusing of locked tabs I proposed there might be counter-logical in some situations, and I am to propose another solution of the "tab mayhem" problem.

How about there is a "open new tab" always visible on the tab menu. In IE7 its, a small tab containing the just a "new tab" glyph (e.g. the rightmost on the screenshot at http://flickr.com/photos/56874024@N00/116518732). The concept is also present on other browsers.

Clicking that tab would open new tab containing the current location, similar to what ctrl-t does.
MIDDLE clicking on that tab will "nuke" all unused tabs of the pane, similar to the solution proposed by sheepdog.

This approach is consistent with the current tcmd UI, and is solving two problems. First, it gives a click target to the users that would like to use mouse. Second, it solves the "tab mayhem" problem without the need of toolbar to be visible. It takes very minimal space on the tabs line, and stays next to the tabs, instead of somewhere on the button row.

What do you think?
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

I dislike the middle button solution. One may press it accidently. Especially a new user.
F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab, F6, Enter, Tab... - I like to move IT, move IT!..
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

2X*
you are so concerned about n00bies... funny.

2suncho
I like reusing of locked tabs.... new tab button sounds nice also, especialy if invisible by default.
Last edited by majkinetor ! on 2006-05-10, 14:29 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Habemus majkam!
sirsilva

Post by *sirsilva »

the screenshot is too small can u pls upload a bigger one ?
XPEHOPE3KA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *XPEHOPE3KA »

2m
You seem to dislike them.
BTW, Ghisler is concerned about newbies too, so I doubt he will implement the feature. From now you can consider my you-forgot-about-newbies sentences as possible Ghisler's reasons not to implement something. :mrgreen:
suncho

Post by *suncho »

sirsilva wrote:the screenshot is too small can u pls upload a bigger one ?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliott-back/29723068/

It it empty tab, but when you point at it, a glyph appears. It is the typical "new document" icon, with a red "*" in the topleft corner.

Personally, I would keep the icon always there, but lets not go offtopic;) The question is, would others like such idea?
suncho

Post by *suncho »

XPEHOPE3KA wrote:I dislike the middle button solution. One may press it accidently. Especially a new user.
By default, tcmd asks if you really like to close all buttons.

Also, by default "open new" tab could be turned off. The point is, if it is widely used in browsers, it will soon became UI standard for tabbed browsing.
sirsilva

Post by *sirsilva »

suncho wrote:it will soon became UI standard for tabbed browsing.
Not really as Pros are using Shortcuts :D
suncho

Post by *suncho »

sirsilva wrote:Not really as Pros are using Shortcuts :D
Locked tabs are a neat way to achieve shortcuts. For me, tabs in tcmd are its best feature. In fact, when tabs came I finally registered my tcmd.
(though I really miss the "guess the number of the day" feature of the unregistered one:) )
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2suncho

I find using CTRL+T to open a new tab in the current location is very comfortable already. But I'm not against an additional way using the mouse. Perhaps there might be some improvement concerning this issue in the next TC-version, who knows? :wink:
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

1. I like the new tab button idea. Opera also uses it.

2. SpeedCommander has a very effective tab implementation. Check out the SC tab property dialog here. Works great!

3. In SC, when attempting to navigate a locked tab to a folder outside of that tab's allowed domain (again, see that property dialog), SC automatically activates the first unlocked tab at the left of that panel.

4. In the SC world, then, one could arbitrarily designate the first tab on the left of each panel as a "free" tab, so that when SC activates it in response to the situation described in 3 (above), SC doesn't "overwrite" a location one might have wanted preserved AND SC wouldn't arbitrarily add a new tab to the panel.

A combination of TC's current tab implementation with these ideas borrowed from SC and some of those expressed in this thread would be excellent.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric