Making subbars

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Making subbars

Post by *Sam_Zen »

If I want to create a new subbar of the Button Bar, I go to the 'Add Subbar' button of course.
But then some discrepancy follows : because it appears that I'm supposed to open an already existing .bar file.
I don't find this a very logical approach of the procedure. If it's the first subbar, the only existing .bar file is the main one.
I was forced to fiddle around with 'default.bar' first, making a renamed duplicate, empty that, before getting started.
Now, of course, I create a dummy .bar file on forehand, with the content :

Code: Select all

[Buttonbar]
Buttoncount=0
But I still think, it shouldn't be necessary to use this kind of clumsy solutions.
Clo

No dummy !

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

:) Hello Sam !

• You are not bound to create a dummy *.bar file prior !

- Just state a new (non-existing yet) name in the upper field of the Add sub-bar dialogue, and TC'll create the file !

• You'll have to correct the command in the “Command” row of the bar config. dialogue,
because TC writes the last existing bar name and path before the addition
(according to the numbering if numbered, like @ home, or else to the alpha. order, I suppose…)

• I use always this process, and I just checked it again on this moment “in the case” (a bug is still possible…), it works still.

{Aside : I don't like the notion of "main bar" and "sub-bars at all… I would prefer "Add new bar", which could allow other possibilities… }

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

Just state a new (non-existing yet) name in the upper field of the Add sub-bar dialogue, and TC'll create the file !
Nice. Didn't know that. I just didn't expect such editing in a file-opening procedure.
I'm aware of the non-hierarchy, but I use "main bar" for the one , TC starts up with, according to the setting.
Clo

What is missing…

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

• Indeed, one can also create an empty *.bar file via Shift+F4 before…

• I use several bars as a circular call, so I've icons to call the bars on each one, like you can see ON THIS IMAGE.
- I use a trick : The current bar is shown with a tool, this allows to configure that current bar clicking on it…
- By the same way, it prevents error-messages (if you set a fancy command here) and saves one icon per bar…
- Thus, each “current bar” button has the command 498.
- I use 24² icons, and I've also sets with “Categories” by themes instead of a numbering for those who prefer this style.

• The only lack with this is that one cannot retrieve the last used bar between the sessions, when TC is closed¦reopen…
… Still that blasted “Default”, I'ld wish to get rid of it ! :twisted:

- But yet, the most codes already exist, since you may state a new bar as the “default” when creating it !
- This should need only a couple of INI entries like in example :
[Buttonbar]

BarAtStartUp=flag, shows :

• 0 : the first bar in the numbering order (digit or letter),
• 1 : the last used bar,
• 2 : specified, i.e. with a syntax like #1, #2, #3 or #A, #B, #C

LastUsedBar=bar identifier
• Like for “Specified” above, but automatically saved when TC is closed. Needed, naturally.
• I had proposed this on the test-forum for a while, but unsuccessfully, not understood… :|

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2007-02-17, 03:01 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2 Clo
Nice idea about saving the last used bar.
Solutions for this of course heavily depends on the personal use and needs of working with the system.
I don't exactly have created a circular situation, but more like a directory structure, with a root (default.bar) and several sub-bars that can have their own sub-bars again.

I use TC with the buttonbar as my systembase during working, so my default bar is mostly filled with my main applications. I needed subbars to have access to less frequently used programs grouped in different disciplines, like 'graphic', 'sound', or 'system'.

The navigation is also done with icons. So I made an icon-bitmap saying 'graphic' on default.bar, to go to 'graph.bar'.
So each subbar contains the same standard icon to return to the main bar. In this case a rotated TC-icon.
Clo

Colours mean…

Post by *Clo »

2Sam_Zen

• Thank you for your feedback !

- I get also sorted functions with the numbered bars, i.e. #1 contains the most basic TC functions
and some very used programmes, #2 is for less used TC functions and programmes,
#3 mainly for the TC Options pages -I get each directly-, #4 for F T P connections and so on.
- The coloured digits are not for a cosmetical effect only, the colours are also meaningful according to
the old good 80-year universal code for electronics and similar : Brown=1 - Red=2 - Orange =3 etc. ;)

- I used it also on the most TC commands icons to show the command-number,
it was handy before we got the new commands window (I chose the icon prior…)

• The button-bars are the main axis of my TC use, because I can't use the keys a lot…
- Hence, any improvement like the "Last used bar" is very important for me.
- Like I said about this elsewhere, it needs only to rotate the brain by 180° ! * :lol:
* A favourite sentence of late my Dear Master of Karate-Do to perform a reverse twisted usual techniques combination…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

universal code for electronics and similar : Brown=1 - Red=2 - Orange =3 etc.
Great. That's the spirit. Finetuning with sensible details.
Rotating by 180* is a nice start. Although it's still quite easy to reverse everything. How about 90* ?
Isn't the brain capable of rotating in four dimensions ? But this OT.

A feature just came to my mind : Suppose a certain bar is coupled to a certain directory hotlist..
Vansumsen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Vansumsen »

:arrow: Sam_Zen
A feature just came to my mind : Suppose a certain bar is coupled to a certain directory hotlist..
Support +++

And why not a "Coupled floating bar, leaving the default bar in his place"

This feature is to add on my old proposal here but with an other little change : replace TC 7.00 by TC 7.XX

Friendly

Paul
Ouistiti, #11943

L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

I'm not sure what you mean with 'floating bar', but if this means 2 bars on the screen at the same time, I wouldn't use that.
Personal reasons, because I work a lot with graphics and sounds, so I have the habit of creating as much working space on the screen as possible. So with as less bars and borders as possible.
Implication of picking a 'certain' hotlist, means there is more than one. So before any coupling, the logic step first should be to create 2 different directory hotlists, for L and R.
Stance
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stance »

Vansumsen wrote:And why not a "Coupled floating bar, leaving the default bar in his place"
Addon: TCToolbar14.zip
Preview: ftp://ftp1.mgpsoft.com/TCToolbar.jpg
Download from: ftp://ftp1.mgpsoft.com/

Edit:
Sam_Zen
Here is a german wikipage about to create a new subbar:
http://www.ghisler.ch/wikide/index.php/Buttonbar_wechseln
(Still needs a translation :oops:)
Sam_Zen wrote:Implication of picking a 'certain' hotlist, means there is more than one. So before any coupling, the logic step first should be to create 2 different directory hotlists, for L and R.
Maybe FavMenu & Menu Editor 2.0 can be used for that task?
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

2 Stance
Thanks, but I already know how to create subbars. In fact, I'm working on adding this subject to my bilingual TCtips pages which are already mentioned in the Wiki.
I checked FavMenu etc. It could be used, I suppose, but it seems more an add-on to the OS, compatible with TC. I don't think I
would use it, because I never use Explorer, and the 2 different directory hotlists would be nice, but are not an urgent issue to me.