[BUG] in SHIFT+F5 window

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

[BUG] in SHIFT+F5 window

Post by *wanderer »

TC7pb4.

Folder structure:

Data.bkp1
Data

Press SHIFT+F5 on folder "Data.bkp1". A window appears in which you can write the new folder name. Select the .bkp1 part and press the Delete key. TC, instead of deleting the ".bkp1" string, it opens the drop-down list. The same thing happens with Backspace.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2wanderer
That is only if auto-append suggested name is set to ON.
But this is default windows behavior AFAICS. It happens in explorer too.
I have it disabled in TC though.
TC for Linux please!
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

roentgen wrote:2wanderer
That is only if auto-append suggested name is set to ON.
But this is default windows behavior AFAICS. It happens in explorer too.
I have it disabled in TC though.
Yes but when you press delete, it first deletes the selected string (or character if nothing is selected) and then it pops the drop-down. TC just shows the dropdown without deleting anything. You have to press Del a second time in order to delete it which is neither standard nor convenient, that's why i reported it as a bug.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2wanderer
If you have autocomplete enabled in Windows ('use inline AutoComplete' - in Internet Options>Advanced) try to delete 'Files' from C:\Program Files in explorer address bar. You'll see the same behavior.
TC for Linux please!
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

It is a little bit confusing, but it is just the way windows does it.
TC just shows the dropdown without deleting anything
TC deletes the the selected part for sure, but inserts then the first matching entry (which is identical in your case)

Just add another folder "Data.bkp2" and select this one.
Same procedure shows "Data.bkp1" after DEL pressed.
#5767 Personal license
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

I tried it in Explorer and in Firefox and the behavior in it is as i describe (first delete the string and then show the dropdown). Besides, i just tried this in TC's own command line and the behavior is as i describe too!

Maybe it's OS oriented. I used FF2 and IE6 under Win2k.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed this is the usual Windows behaviour when auto-append and auto-complete are turned on.

Just turn off "Auto-append" in Configuration - Options - Operation if you do not like this behaviour!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed this is the usual Windows behaviour when auto-append and auto-complete are turned on.
Well, not in my version of Windows! :) I have tried it in Win2K and WinXPSP2, in both Firefox 2.0 and IE6 and it works like i say! It works exactly the same way in TC's own command line! The only thing that works differently is the SHIFT+F5 window.

Ok, let me repeat what the issue is, just in case i wasn't clear enough:

Have two folders somewhere:

Data.bkp1
Data

Press SHIFT+F5 on folder "Data.bkp1". A window appears in which you can write the new folder name. Select the "kp1" part of the string and press the Delete key. This is very important. If you do not select a part of the folder name, it works the way it is supposed to work.

When pressing the Delete key, TC instead of deleting the ".bkp1" string and then open the dropdown list, it opens the drop-down list without deleting the string. The same thing happens with Backspace. Try the same thing in TC's command line and you'll see it does not work like this.

Oh, an additional thing in the same window. If the dropdown has been shown, it would be nice if pressing ESC just closed it instead of closing the whole window.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can just say what my code does - it enables auto-complete for this edit control, and the rest is done by Windows itself! I have no influence on it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

:? :shock:

Very strange because it seems to work differently that Windows itself. Perhaps you are doing in the SHIFT+F5 window something different than what you do with TC's command line in the main window? Or perhaps not using the same control?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2wanderer
If I follow your directions I get the behaviour you describe ONLY if I have "Auto-append suggested name" enabled.

No matter whether I have "Auto-append suggested name" enabled or not the behaviour (with or without deleting the "bkp1" part immediately) is the SAME in the Shift+F5 box and in the command line.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

petermad wrote:2wanderer
If I follow your directions I get the behaviour you describe ONLY if I have "Auto-append suggested name" enabled.
That's right! That's what's making the difference. Thanks for the tip. When "Auto-append suggested name" is enabled, the behavior changes and i don't know if it was intended or not but it is certainly inconvenient because you have to press Del or BkSpc twice for a part of the string to be deleted.
petermad wrote:No matter whether I have "Auto-append suggested name" enabled or not the behaviour (with or without deleting the "bkp1" part immediately) is the SAME in the Shift+F5 box and in the command line.
Ok, i tried this with "Auto-append suggested name" enabled:

While in C:\, i wrote "pro" in the command line. It was "expanded" to "Program Files" by the auto-suggestion. Then i clicked inside the file list, not of a file though. The expanded part below the combo-box of the command line was closed. Then i selected the "iles" from "Program Files" in the command-line and i pressed Del. The string was deleted and then the expanded part below the command-line combo box appeared. When i try this in the F5 dialog while on a path though, the string does not get deleted the first time i press the Del key. It works the second time though.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯