listbox versus listview

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Which control is faster?

TC listbox control is clearly faster
36%
TC listbox control feels faster
5%
No difference
23%
Explorer listview control feels faster
23%
Explorer listview is clearly faster
14%

Total votes: 22

icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It's the standard panel refresh of TC. TC rebuilds the file panel permanently, no idea why ghisler does that.
I have scrolled with PageDn by the way...

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
It's the standard panel refresh of TC. TC rebuilds the file panel permanently, no idea why ghisler does that.
If this would be true why do you claim the listbox control is the problem?
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Where have I stated that the listbox is the problem for the flickering?

But, you may be right, as ghisler likes flickering as a signal:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=122696#122696

I can create really cool stroboscope flashes when keeping the cm_CopyPathToClip hotkey pressed.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2icfu
Where have I stated that the listbox is the problem for the flickering?
Well you start your first post with a hint to another thread where Ghisler wrotes that the listbox is faster than a listview. Then you start listing things which should prove the opposite. Flickering is one of them. After all I thought this is what this poll is about.
Beside that can you give me a hint why do think the panel is refreshed while scrolling? I don't want to claim it isn't true but it sounds very strange to me.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Lefteous wrote:Beside that can you give me a hint why do think the panel is refreshed while scrolling? I don't want to claim it isn't true but it sounds very strange to me.
I think you should direct this question to Ghisler. In my movie, I did not use cm_CopyPathToClip. And the listbox flickered.
ADDED: For me it doesn't look like refreshing. It's rather loading icons. But Explorer here is faster.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I think you should direct this question to Ghisler.
Would be great to hear an oppinion from Ghisler but I'm not going to ask him that. He never claimed refreshing is the problem - it's up to icfu to prove his assertions.
For me it doesn't look like refreshing. It's rather loading icons. But Explorer here is faster.
Well there are several icon options. You could try do disable icons completely and see if the same effect can be observed.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

After all I thought this is what this poll is about.
This poll is about speed differences. The flickering is an annoying side effect of which I don't know if it's a problem of listboxes in general. I can only do assumptions.
Beside that can you give me a hint why do think the panel is refreshed while scrolling? I don't want to claim it isn't true but it sounds very strange to me.
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=124510#124510

>only the current lines are available.

With refreshing I have meant that I can watch TC calculating what to paint next while it paints it.

I haven't meant a refreshing like with Ctr+R as this needs 5 seconds in that 30000 files directory. A scrolling in this case would be impossible...
You could try do disable icons completely and see if the same effect can be observed.
The panel even flickers when no icons are shown. No difference at all.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2007-06-06, 14:19 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

With refreshing I have meant that I can watch TC calculating what to paint next while it paints it.
Ah ok - I really thought you are talking about refreshing the directory contents. Sounds as if you are talking about a repainting issue.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Added another answer above. Yes, repainting, thanks! I'll try to remember that word.

Icfu
This account is for sale
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The below linked test program can be used to find out if using a listbox control could be the reason why some users have speed issues when using TC. The program populates a listbox with an user-definable number of items. The listbox used is an owner-drawn control. I didn't optimize the painting of items at all so I guess you'll see same flickering as in TC.

http://www.lefteous.de/tc/misc/listboxspeedtest.zip

I'm curious how long it takes to populate the listbox on your computer. On my computer the average result is 0.125 seconds for 30000 items. That is ~240000 items per second. I'm working on a Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz (4 years old) and Windows XP Pro SP2.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

It needs 1.422 seconds. There are no scrolling problems, it's as smooth as Altap.

Icfu
This account is for sale
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

icfu wrote:It needs 1.422 seconds. There are no scrolling problems, it's as smooth as Altap.

Icfu
0.125 s. No scrolling problems.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I'm curious how long it takes to populate the listbox on your computer.
Duron 1,1 GHz, 384 MB SDRAM, Matrox Marvel G400 with XP Pro SP2 internal drivers:
0.130 seconds.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What is really new to me is that the listbox actually scales quite fine. If have added 10.000.000 items in a test and it took about 38 seconds which are still more than 250000 items per second.
So it seems the data organziation seems to be more important than the control itself.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I have never seen anything like that before
Me neither :!:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar