Help button not working

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2ghisler(Author)

In totalcmd702_deu.zip there are 2 .chm files: totalcmdd.chm totalcmd.chm - what's the difference?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Please report any problems like display errors in topics here!
after auto install, TC must restart to make totalcmd.chm the default help file

What about adding Favorites tab, i think it will be good addition (I have added to myself)
Last edited by ts4242 on 2007-09-07, 15:20 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

petermad wrote:In totalcmd702_deu.zip there are 2 .chm files: totalcmdd.chm totalcmd.chm - what's the difference?
pictures in totalcmd.chm are gif format while pictures in totalcmdd.chm are png format
maybe there are other differences but i cannot catch
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, I had some troubles in the past with png files (on older Windows versions), so I switched from png to gif. I forgot to remove the png version from the download, it's fixed now.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have put together the English and German CHM help files now. You can get them here:

English 7.02
German 7.02

Please report any problems like display errors in topics here!
I prefer CHM to HLP. I guess some of others might do too.
So is it possible to include the CHM file in the TC installation file in the furture or at least put a download link in official website?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, I'm considering it. I couldn't get the CHM help finished for TC 7, and there are still many remaining problems, but I'm considering to switch to CHM as the primary help format in TC 7.5...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Here are a few things I noticed in the German CHM file.
  • Weird indent on page "Was ist neu in dieser Version?", paragraph "Neue Funktionen in Commander 4.53", requires very wide content window to reproduce
  • Weird indent on page "Was ist neu in dieser Version?", paragraph "Neue Funktionen in Commander 4.50", requires very wide content window to reproduce
  • No indent on page "Aufbau der Datei wcx_ftp.ini", setting "SpecialFlags=0"
Finding a specific information using the list of contents is very difficult. What about collecting ideas how to improve navigation in the help file?
Clo

Flat Synopsis…

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous

:) Hello Christian !
What about collecting ideas how to improve navigation in the help file?
• It's possible to have the damn docked TOC and its tree and also an extra “Flat Synopsis” page
showing the links to all topics as a table, an image-map, lists…
- I made some CHM folders in that style, it's really better.
- In fact, it needs just to add the Synopsis at the tree-head, then hide the dock,
set the window maximized, and the trick is played…
- At each topic-page footer, a back link to the Synopsis (or several along the text if the page is pretty long).
- Fortunately, Win saves the window mode, so when you close¦restart your CHM,
you get the window with¦out the tree-dock…
An example… (Open the first item of the tree “Vue Générale” –> “Sommaire”)

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Well in TC there is already a topic page (index page) which already lists the topics. I don't think this is the main problem.
Many pages are not directly linked from the index page. If you want to get information about a certain function you need to know which menu contains it. Then a menu page with links to functions is displayed. On these pages you get a short description of the function and mostly a link to a dialog. This is not only cumbersome but more important users who don't know where to look won't find it.

You can of course use the index but if something cannot be found through the main navigation it's probably better to remove it.
Clo

Huge info-texts with wrapping

Post by *Clo »

2Lefteous

:) In the Tutos, you get a preview of each menu showing all entries, just hovering the menu on the pic with the mouse…
It's very easy to do… and helpful, I guess. Simply, use CR¦LF as HTML-encoded characters to get a multiline info-text…
… in the TITLE attribute

:mrgreen: VG
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Clo
In the Tutos, you get a preview of each menu showing all entries, just hovering the menu on the pic with the mouse…
It's very easy to do… and helpful, I guess. Simply, use CR¦LF as HTML-encoded characters to get a multiline info-text…
… in the TITLE attribute
My statement wasn't about improving the way the menu is displayed in the help file but about the structure of the underlying help pages.

Section 3 contains links to some functions but many are missing. This is quite strange.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

One more chm help file bug (German version only):
- Unconverted winhelp macro on regular expresissions help page (\xnn escpae sequence).
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The help file title is incorrect inappropriate. It should be "Total Commander help" instead of "HTML Help".
mtemp

Post by *mtemp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have put together the English and German CHM help files now.
Thanks for these files.

But simple question: how can I install these files?

Carlos
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2mtemp
By default it should be installed automatically when you enter totalcmdXXX_eng.zip archive.

If not - just copy proper CHM file to Total Commander's directory. After next run it will be always used instead of HLP when you hit F1.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...