Direct upgrade install passes also all other language files

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Direct upgrade install passes also all other language files

Post by *pdavit »

The present topic has been also covered over the TC beta forum without a conclusion yet but with TC 7.50 public beta released we can move on here now I guess.

Story goes as follows: When using the new TC installer feature to update directly, it will also install all other menu and language files if just a single custom menu is in use as in my case.

IMHO, this is incorrect. Having said that, a check mechanism can be harder than initially thought due to custom menu filenames. It's even hard to decide how TC should behave if a standard name has been customized but a TC update installation "needs" to update it.

This is a minor issue really and maybe so much thought is not worthy.

But then again someone might have a better idea that I cannot think of. ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Actually this happens when the installer finds MORE than one language file.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Actually this happens when the installer finds MORE than one language file.
As I said over the beta forum as well, my <language> directory inside TC installed path contain only my custom TCExtMenu.mnu file.

This makes TC direct installation pass also all other language and menu files which practically in not a replacement update installation.

It's not a major issue and I just delete useless to me language files after an update installation but I just thought another "automated" workaround can be found.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you can give me some pseudo code (instructions) when TC should install all languages and when not, I will try to implement it.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you can give me some pseudo code (instructions) when TC should install all languages and when not, I will try to implement it.
Why not tagging which and how many languages are installed in the ini file (on a fresh installation), so that TC can understand what to do on an update installation?

And also if a custom one has been defined via the language configuration section, to pass also this information inside the ini file as well (in a way this is already possible since in an update installation my custom menu file is not replaced anymore by the default one as in the past prior to v7.50.)

A problem with the above approach can be if a user has customized the default filenames. TC in this case won't understand the change and will overwrite directly the files to update with the possible changes of a newer version.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I suggest to let TC update all language files that are already present in the language folder, but not install additional language files. Afterall there is currently only 14 languages to check for.

I think that if TC detects that wcmd_xxx.lng exists that should be enough, and consequently update all 3 files (wcmd_xxx.lng, wcmd_xxx.mnu and wcmd_xxx.inc).

There is absolutely no need for registering "installed" language files in wincmd.ini - that would mean that TC had to update that list at every close down, since language files can get "installed" by simple copying.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

@petermad

Fair enough and simple. This should work but we should also consider the two additional factors:

1) The behaviour over customized versions of .mnu and/or .lng with custom filenames as well.

2) Same as point 1 above but customization has been applied over the standard filenaming scheme.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1) The behaviour over customized versions of .mnu and/or .lng with custom filenames as well.
If a customized .lng/.mnu/.inc file set is beeing used that should stay in effect after an upgrade. Just as it is now.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

bump
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I haven't found a solution yet. The problem is that some languages now have .inc files which they didn't have before. If TC would update only the existing language files, these .inc files wouldn't be installed...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The problem is that some languages now have .inc files which they didn't have before
As I suggested:
if TC detects that wcmd_xxx.lng exists that should be enough, and consequently update all 3 files (wcmd_xxx.lng, wcmd_xxx.mnu and wcmd_xxx.inc).
License #524 (1994)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Issue fixed by T.C. 7.50 pb5. Cf. here, please.

Kind regards,
Karl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Thank you Christian for implementing this.

I have also tested the behavior when using a custom filename.

The install won't install any menu or language file keeping the custom one in use.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, that's how it should be! The only problem is that users with a custom menu will not see any new commands like the internal associations then...
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The only problem is that users with a custom menu will not see any new commands like the internal associations then...
Well, yes but I don't see this as a problem. If a user is using a custom one he is responsible for either continue modifying it or follow the custom menu development of the corresponding menu author.

At the end of the day not all added new internal commands are also added on the default menu file so this is only a natural "limitation". ;-)

Thank you once again!