FTP - Do you want to reconnect ?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Glasses?

Post by *Clo »

2Da_Teach

:) Hello !

• Indeed that option is there, just edit any connection from the list and put glasses on your nose :
[×] Send command to keep connection alive: … :P

:mrgreen:  KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Da_Teach

Post by *Da_Teach »

Hahaha, I can be such a noop ;)

After more searching I found its not a global option but a 'per connection' option. Never mind me then :D

I never used the per-connection settings as I never save my FTP sites.
(only really use 1 ftp site, and its in TC's cache all the time, no reason for me to save it as I dont want it to save my username/password anyways)

Fake edit: was typing this response when I saw yours as well, but found it myself just a minute ago :oops:
ado

Post by *ado »

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Support++ also again!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

And one more Support++!

Also, what is the best setting for the keep alive command. Does anyone have one that actually works?
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Clo

Best ??? No Best

Post by *Clo »

2Boofo

:) Hi Bob !

• There is no “best” setting for that F T P feature, it depends on every server regarding to its own time-out duration…
- The default is each 90 seconds, generally convenient…
- However, I had to shorten that time (thus, increase the frequency) with some server
which disconnected continually when on idle (nothing sent¦downloaded) with the NOOP command.
- Hence, I'm not sure that this function as global (one setting for all connections) is desirable and a valid solution…
- To me the “Per connection” setting is logical and fine. Just my opinion, though.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
cos

Post by *cos »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that there are ways to enable auto-reconnect when the connection is lost. What I would need is a 100% bulletproof way to detect that an Internet connection is available. Virus scanners seem to know that, and get their updates automatically when the connection is established. But how do they know?
I think it's not understood correctly :)

i am not referring to an AUTO connect, not self triggered (by application)!

I am talking (and even gave a scenario / example) when the user wants to do something (user triggered). He, the user, clicks to go to an upper folder, or to upload a file or anything.

You (TC) already KNOW that the connection is dead, since you are prompting the user to reconnect, so instead of asking the user with the message, you can do a reconnect instead, silently.

ps: i am willing to call you over phone, to explain this, it's really really very basic and simple, so if you are interested, send me a phoen number on PM, and i will call once i see it

And to the rest, keep alive, is not an option as as most of you know, it's not reliable, not ping, not noop, not anything, each ftp is differently configured.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

When I upload php files to upgrade my site (vbulletin), it will go along fine and then after a short while, disconnect and give me the reconnect message. I have never been able to upload all of the php files (less than 3 meg) in a single shot in any host I have been with. It would be nice to be able to stay connected when I am doing something on the server.

@Claude:

Do you have any recommendations on how I would find out what would work on the server I am on to stay connected? I have tried everything and I get disconnected in the middle of php file transfer uploads.

User of Total Commander
Clo

Ticklish…

Post by *Clo »

2Boofo

:) Hi Bob !

• Like Cos says above, each server is configured differently, it's ticklish to give any advice…
- If you are disconnected frequently, that could mean that the timeout is short,
so at the very outside, attempt to shorten the "Keep alive"…
… Supposing that the sent command is supported. To know this, type HELP (as is, uppercase)
in the command line when connected >> Enter.
- You'll get a list of the supported commands for that server.

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Aha! I didn't know that! Thank you!

Here is what it shows:
HELP
HELP
214-The following SITE commands are recognized
ALIAS
CHMOD
IDLE
UTIME
214 Pure-FTPd - http://pureftpd.org/

User of Total Commander
cos

Post by *cos »

Christian, were you able to look into this?

Please don't tell me, you just abandoned it :)

thank you in advance.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have already eliminated the useless "do you want to reconnect" when the user presses Cancel instead of entering a password when connecting. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any further yet, this is really extremely time-consuming. :(
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com