TC7.5PB2 click V-Folder from Breadcrumb starts NetworkConn.

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I'd say, ghisler's suggestion, to not change the path, when the name remains the same, is the best idea.
Support++;
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I think that I will implement the idea of not changing the path when the name remains the same, and otherwise try to reach the real path.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

As far as I can tell, the problem reported by FFInformatik has been fixed by T.C. 7.50 pb3 and it still works correctly in T.C. 7.50 pb4.

Windows Vista Home Premum, 32bit, ger
Total Commander 7.50 PB3 & PB4

Kind regards,
Karl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

I performed the following tests under Win2K-SP4 with TC7.50pb4.

1. ALT + F1 + \ leads to "\\My Network Places\".

2. Click in the address bar and change it to "\\My Network Place\". When pressing ENTER, TC changes it to "C:\" after a 2 seconds delay. It seems it tries to check if the virtual folder exists, it can't find it so it reverts to "C:\", which is (i assume) the intended behavior.

SUGGESTION: It might be better to remain in "\\My Network Places\" though (the last valid virtual folder before editing the address bar).

3. Click in the address bar and change it to "\\My Network Places1\". When pressing ENTER, TC immediately changes it back to "\\My Network Places\". It seems it doesn't even try to check if the virtual folder exists. This seems suspicious, perhaps there's something wrong there.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC7.5PB2 click V-Folder from Breadcrumb starts NetworkCo

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, wanderer.

The original problem report reads:
FFInformatik wrote:Go to Breadcumb, select a virtual folder.
Ex. Eigene Dateien: Now, you are on the virtual folder \\Eigene Dateien\*.*
Click on the Path to enable the Path Edit. => the field is white and shows \\Eigene Dateien\
Now, press enter on \\Eigene Dateien\ and TC will try to open a Network Connection to \\Eigene Dateien\.
This problem has been fixed. T.C. will not try to open a network connection to "\\Eigene Dateien" ("\\My Documents").

Your report addresses a different question: How should T.C. re-act in situations where you have entered a virtual folder and then
+ incorrectly edit the folder name by chopping off characters at the end
+ incorrectly edit the folder name by attaching characters at then end
thus specifying an invalid virtual foldername.

This question may be debatable, but it does not invalidate my statement that the originally reported misbehaviour has been corrected.

Cheers,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for confirming the original fix! Indeed it's not so easy to find a good solution for edited virtual folder names...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC7.5PB2 click V-Folder from Breadcrumb starts NetworkCo

Post by *wanderer »

karlchen wrote:This question may be debatable, but it does not invalidate my statement that the originally reported misbehaviour has been corrected.
Hi Karl.

You're right, it seems that the originally reported issue has been corrected, however what i'm asking here - apart from the suggestion in step (2) - is "does the corrected way work correctly?" :) As i describe in step 3, it seems to me it doesn't. It would be nice if Christian could verify it works fine.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, wanderer.

On the one hand, I tend to agree that it might be more consistent to proceed like this:
+ You have entered an existing virtual folder like e.g. "\\My Network Places".
+ You edit the address bar entry ending up in a non-existant folder name.
+ T.C. might decide to stay where it is in such cases consistently, i.e. in "\\My Network Places".

On the other hand, this may not be the expected behaviour in some cases, either:
+ You have entered an existing virtual folder like e.g. "\\My Network Places".
+ You edit the address bar entry ending up in a non-existant folder name which reads "\\My Documents\Letters to Aunty Agahta"
+ "\\My Documents" exists, only "Letters to Aunty Agahta" does not because it should read "Letters to Aunty Agatha"

What should T.C. do? Stay in "\\My Network Places"? Go to "\\My Documents"?

Kind regards,
Karl
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

karlchen wrote:+ "\\My Documents" exists, only "Letters to Aunty Agahta" does not because it should read "Letters to Aunty Agatha"

What should T.C. do? Stay in "\\My Network Places"? Go to "\\My Documents"?
Hey Karl.

In a similar situation involving a normal folder, TC would just beep and wait for the user to correct the path or press ESC and return to the previously entered path (in the case you're describing, "\\My Network Places"). Why not do the same thing with virtual folders too?

In any case, let me point out again why i believe there may still be a hidden bug in path editing.

Let's say one of TC's panels is at "\\My Network Places". Edit the path, enter "\\My Network Places1" and press ENTER. You'll see that TC immediately returns to "\\My Network Places". I suspect that TC compares two strings, the previously entered path and the current path entered by the user but it does not compare the full strings. It seems to me that TC checks if the first 19 characters of the string "\\My Network Places1" are equal to the previously entered path ("\\My Network Places"), finds they are the same and ends edit mode by using "\\My Network Places" as the current path when ENTER is pressed.

I base that on the fact that if the entered path is "\\My Network Place" (missing "s" at the end), TC waits for a couple of seconds, perhaps searching for the virtual folder and when it decides it does not exist, it reverts to "C:".

Christian, can you please check if there is indeed such a case?
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯