[Wish] Keep previous menu (language) files when upgrading...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

What do you think?

Poll ended at 2009-05-26, 12:20 UTC

Leave as is, so overwrite without asking
54%
Do not replace Language files at all during install
No votes
Ask during install if you want the files to be overwritten
15%
Make a backup of (changed) files in backup subfolder
No votes
Place customized files in customized folder and use those instead
31%
Other... see below
No votes

Total votes: 13

alm

[Wish] Keep previous menu (language) files when upgrading...

Post by *alm »

Hi, When upgrading to a new version of Total Commander it always just replaces the files in Language folder with new files. So all customizations that have been made are lost, unless one makes a backup... But that's easily forgotten...

So, I suggest that a backup is made of the (changed) files that are in the Language folder before overwriting them during installation, for example in a backup folder below it. Another option would be to place customized menu files in a different folder and if it does not exist the ones in Language folder will be used... But then when default menu files are changed it should be automatically placed in the customized folder.

Please give your opinion below.
Using TC since 1997, known as Windows Commander in the old days ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello alm,
You can also give the files the read-only attribute, AFAIK TC shouldn't overwrite them then. Or, you can simply give your custom file a new name and use that, TC will not overwrite it.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What about a cascading approach? The Language dir in TC dir would be updated just like before. But in addition TC would also search in a directory "UserLanguage" which is always the directory below the directory containing the current main settings file.
The language files in this directory would always overrule the files placed in Language. Menu files having a different name would be added to the list.

It's not a perfect solution but would solve the mentioned problem.

You can already use customized files in a customized folder but I guess such a cascading approach is a step further.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

I have voted for first option.

I think it's not really needed because menus are in most of the cases static and TC is updated once per few months only.

Other thing is: no backup of its setting for months? Seriously, why? Personally if I am creating something which takes more than couple of minutes I must have backup copy of it.

It is also possible to have your own names for almost any configuration file (no exceptions for menus) so why does anybody create his own menu with default name? I understand "cascading approach" but is it truly needed? If someone decides to have separate folder than why not separate names? Time spent on it is almost the same as renaming defaults.

Making backup of all settings could be nice but I don't consider it as must have.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

alm

Post by *alm »

Hacker wrote:Hello alm,
You can also give the files the read-only attribute, AFAIK TC shouldn't overwrite them then. Or, you can simply give your custom file a new name and use that, TC will not overwrite it.
I didn't know that (about giving a new name), still finding options after so many years of usage. :wink: I will give it a try, but still it's good to know atleast that the files are being overwritten for when you don't rename them.

Edit: Well I tried and it works (ofcourse), but the problem is that when you switch between languages (because you might be testing something for this forum and want to write about it with the English terms) then you have to select it again. It does not remember the setting, so it has to be made specifically. Or is there an option for that in the config? So that you can say: Wcmd_Dut_menu_Choice=Wcmd_Custom.mnu for instance?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2alm
I think you have to have MNU file named the same as LNG one to be chosen automatically (i.e. WCMD_ENG_TEST.LNG and WCMD_ENG_TEST.MNU pair).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

alm

Post by *alm »

2fenix_productions

Yes, that works. But when something changes in TC then you're still working with the old, possible incorrect, LNG file. And what about the .inc file, it also needs to match with the name I guess?

Perhaps it is an idea to work with version numbers or so in each file, so that TC knows about it and can mention the file is an old version and must possibly be upgraded. This could be mentioned during the upgrade for example.

But, I have to say I don't know how often these files change (internally that is).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2alm

The files should be named after this template.

wcmd_xxxxx_yyy.lng

where xxxxx is whatever you want, and yyy is the language code. For example wcmd_alm_eng.lng

In that way plugins etc (that are written correctly) will use the same language as yyy in the .lng file name.

That also applies to .chm or .hlp files - if your language file is called for example wcmd_alm_eng.lng, then TC will look for (in the language directory) and use wcmd_eng.chm or wcmd_eng.hlp as the help file (in that order).

A complete set of language/menu specific files contains up till 4 files:

wcmd_xxx_yyy.lng
wcmd_xxx_yyy.mnu
wcmd_xxx_yyy.inc
wcmd_xxx_yyy.ini

Additionally you can have these two (customized) help files (in your language folder):

wcmd_yyy.chm
wcmd_yyy.hlp

which will work with the files mentioned above (or any other wxmd_*yyy.lng file). If both help files exist, then the .chm file will be used.

Neither of these 6 files will be overwritten at TC updates, and will be used after an update.

You can find the official English files in my Extended menu (see signature) or here: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wcmd_eng_750.zip

I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT use the names suggested by fenix_productions:
(i.e. WCMD_ENG_TEST.LNG and WCMD_ENG_TEST.MNU pair).
but rather use WCMD_TEST_ENG.LNG and WCMD_TEST_ENG.MNU
Last edited by petermad on 2009-05-16, 23:41 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Right style…

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hi Peter !
…but rather uses WCMD_TEST_ENG.LNG and WCMD_TEST_ENG.MNU
• I agree strongly, this is the right style where the 3-character language ID must be just before the dot, here I use :
WCMD_clo_FRA.INC
wcmd_clo_fra.lng
Wcmd_clo_fra.mnu
- Or else, a lot of problems in sight, especially with some plug-ins…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Support++ for
Lefteous wrote:What about a cascading approach? The Language dir in TC dir would be updated just like before. But in addition TC would also search in a directory "UserLanguage" which is always the directory below the directory containing the current main settings file.
The language files in this directory would always overrule the files placed in Language.
This way updating TC would add new strings automatically, without resetting user-changed strings (if the "UserLanguage" files contain only changed strings instead of all).
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!