All 7.5 betas freezes Totalcmd when trying to unpack

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tomcatdk

All 7.5 betas freezes Totalcmd when trying to unpack

Post by *tomcatdk »

Hi

Have tried since beta 3 (and up to 7) to unpack files on both of my computers. No luck so far.

It happens when i select a zip or rar and clicks on file -> unpack files.
This action freezes Totalcmd 7.5 and i need to close it the hard way and start it up again.

Christian, you got a new compiler for Totalcmd? Doesn't happen very often i run into big errors, even in betas.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, tomcatdk.

I think you will have to give more details on the exact Windows specifications of the two machines where you experience this problem.

I cannot remember having experienced it at all during the whole public beta phase:
+ Windows XP Prof, SP2, 32bit, ger
+ Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit, ger
+ Total Commander 7.50 pb1...pb7

Kind regards,
Karl
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tomcatdkI
can not confirm this either - And I would expect that such a common task would have caused hundreds of reports if it was a TC bug.

Do you use TC's internal zip/rar-unpakker, external unpacker or plugin?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sounds like a problem with your virus scanner. Some scanners can be set to unpack and scan an archive whenever it is opened - this can take several minutes with large archives, so it's usually not recommended. It's normally sufficient to scan just the files themselves, because they will be scanned one by one anyway when the archive is being unpacked.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tomcatdk

Post by *tomcatdk »

I'm not quite sure if it is the virus scanner (eventhough it might).
In Totalcmd 7.04 it works like a charm.

I'll dig deeper and return with some more information.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How big are the affected archives? Are they multi-volume?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
tomcatdk

Post by *tomcatdk »

I finally found out why it wouldn't work at all with any packed files.

Error1.
If you unpack from this directory "\\Desktop\" it gives you an error with all packed files (error in archive)
- if you pack to this directory "\\Desktop\" it gives a "disk full error".

Error2.
If you double click a packed file in the \\Desktop\ directory it will open the associated program instead of opening inside Totalcmd.

There is probably several commands you use on a daily basis that won't work in \\Desktop\ while it works perfectly fine in c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Desktop\

It can be very much confusing for a user that Totalcommander can be in a state where it acts different than what it would else normally do.

I think that the \\Desktop feature should either be there with the functionality like c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Desktop\ or be gone.

What do you guys/girls think? :)
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, tomcatdk.

T.C.'s inability of fully supporting the virtual desktop folder (\\desktop) has been discussed many times before. And as you realized there is still space left for improvement. :wink:

Personally I tend to vote for this approach:
  • The virtual desktop folder (\\Desktop) must be supported.
  • When reading from \\Desktop, T.C. will have to check in which real folder the object has been saved: "%userprofile%\Desktop" or "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop" and then perform the requested operation on the object in the real folder.
  • When writing to \\Desktop, T.C. should assume that the user wants to write his/her own desktop folder, i.e. to "%userprofile%\Desktop", and perform the requested operation on the object in the real folder.
Kind regards,
Karl