F3 Bug

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

romulous

F3 Bug

Post by *romulous »

Not strictly a 7.5 bug as I've noticed it in previous versions too. But it is an extremely annoying one. Sometimes (I cannot work out how to reproduce it, if anyone can, please post here), when you click on a file and press F3 to bring it up in Lister, TC puts the file into inline rename mode instead. As I say, very annoying.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2romulous
I've never saw such bug during my few years TC usage. Is there a chance that you assigned F3 to rename in the past (probably by mistake) and don't remember that?

Other thing which comes to my mind is double click speed settings in Control panel -> Mouse. I might be wrong but I think that with very slow value inline rename could appear on single click on file.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Clo

Disabled !

Post by *Clo »

2romulous

:) Hello !

• Temporarily, you could attempt to disable the Inplace Rename thingy (that I do here for ever) :
<wincmd.ini> >> [Configuration] >> InplaceRename=0
Save the file, restart TC and see what happens…

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi,

2fenix_productions
Nope, no chance. For starters, if rename was set to F3, this would happen every single time I hit F3. It's like only 1 in 100. Second, I re-create my TC config from scratch every time I reinstall Windows. That has probably been about 8 or 9 times in the last few weeks. If I had accidentally done it in the past, my very first reinstall would have wiped that mistake out. TC also has this behaviour on every PC I have it installed on (I have more than one - all have different hardware, software configs and Windows versions on them).

2Clo
I suppose I can try that. Inline rename is an essential part of a file manager for me though, I am badly going to miss it :(
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Inline rename is an essential part of a file manager for me though
You can still use Shift+F6 to rename inline, even if you have set InplaceRename=0
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I never seen that TC tried to rename file instead of viewing. BTW, I don't assign F2 key to rename as some Explorer fans do, I use Shift+F6.

And yes, as fenix_productions said, keep in mind that when you do a click onto a filename that already has focus, this is treated as rename wish (both in Explorer and in TC).
Last edited by MVV on 2009-09-16, 02:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

There was some discussion on inline rename over in this thread: Inplace Rename by Fast Click...?, if it's possibly relevant -- to how you might be selecting the file.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, he writes that he clicks on a file and then presses F3. This is only necessary if the isn't the current file (with the caret, the text cursor). In this case, he only needs to press F3 directly.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi Christian,

I click on the file because it is in the non-active file pane. Once click on the file to make it active, then F3 to open in Lister (or F3 to put into inline rename mode as happens from time to time). If the file was already the highlighted, active file, then I would only have to press F3, that is correct.
jvh

Post by *jvh »

Hi,

strange bug, never happened to me. Can you try if there isn't problem with your mouse (bad switch/unwanted doubleclick) or with mouse drivers if you use non-standard ones?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Yeah I can't cause this issue, no matter how much I try to ;-) Disable AHK while testing. Logitech mouse drivers.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it either - inplace rename only starts on a file which has the focus, and which is in the currently active panel. Clicking on the other panel never invokes inplace edit directly.

2romulous
Can you give me step by step instructions to reproduce this problem, e.g. click on this first, then do that, etc.?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
romulous

Post by *romulous »

lol - that's why I wrote 'I cannot work out how to reproduce it, if anyone can, please post here' in my original post. I can't reproduce it, it only happens 1 in 50, 1 in 100 times. I can rule out a few things. Has happened in versions of TC prior to 7.5, so it isn't a 7.50 bug specifically. Has happened on multiple PC's all with utterly different hardware and software configs. I don't think it is the mouse, as they all use different mice, some use the MS/Logitech drivers, others don't. Don't use AHK or AutoIt, so it isn't that either. All I do know is that it is a pretty annoying problem.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Just a wild guess while reading
MVV wrote:BTW, I don't assign F2 key to rename as some Explorer fans do
Do you have assigned F2 to "rename" by chance?

Sometimes clumsy fingers just touch F2 before pressing F3 ...
#5767 Personal license