TC damages zip archives with 'rar' extension

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kdv

TC damages zip archives with 'rar' extension

Post by *kdv »

I have some zip archives with 'rar' extension on HDD. They're called '*.rar' not because they're packed by RAR archiver, but because they're the java Resource Adapter aRchives ( forum doesn't allow me to insert link do describing doc at java-dot-sun-dot-com ).

When TC is idle for a long period of time(~15min), it initiates a file system scan throudh all hard drives(use Process Monitor to catch it scanning files). During this, it accesses these 'rar'-s and appends the '00 7A 7A 30 30 31 65 00' byte sequence to them. After that TC itself is still able to unpack them, but java fails. If a java application server supporting hot deployment is running, it fails in couple of seconds the files was damaged. And it's necessary to repair the application server installation.

I've renamed the 'Plugins' subfolders so TC doesn't see them, disabled all plugins and thumbnail caching in TC. Nothing of these helped. After system reboot and being idle for about 15 min TC damages restored files again.

It may happen, that not TC itself, but, let's say, unrar.dll(distributed together) damages these files. Anyway, what is the need to scan file system? The scanning itself is done weirdly. TC opens tons of file handles. They remain open untill the end, slow down Process Explorer and it takes one minute to close TC with all these handles on 4-core Phenom 9550 with 8gb ram. I wounder, what does TC do with my file system, when i've never asked it about anything. It should not even try.

WinXP-64 SP2.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It sounds like you got a virus.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Agreed. Have not noticed Total Commander performing any job unless explicitly told to do so. kdv, your report suggests some kind of malware is at work on your system, and the name of this malware is not Total Commander.

Karl
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Indeed, the only time TC does HD scans is if you initiate CD Tree (ALT+F10).
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I can confirm that TC doesn't perform any harddisk scans. I recommend that you upload totalcmd.exe to www.virustotal.com to verify whether it is infected or not, and also make a complete scan of your system (preferably from a clean boot CD).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I can confirm that TC doesn't perform any harddisk scans. I recommend that you upload totalcmd.exe to www.virustotal.com to verify whether it is infected or not, and also make a complete scan of your system (preferably from a clean boot CD).
But your CRC check should detect file changes, isn't it?

If virus uses some kind of DLL injection, TC executable file will left untouched, and virus will operate in TC's process environment.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it could be a cracked version which was infected, they normally disable the EXE check. But the DLL injection is also possible. One more reason to scan from a clean boot CD.
kdv

Post by *kdv »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Well, it could be a cracked version which was infected, they normally disable the EXE check. But the DLL injection is also possible. One more reason to scan from a clean boot CD.
You're right, the EXE is fine(it's the default 1-2-3 button variant), but one of plugins(puzzle.wcx, a third-party one) is infected(or including?) a bullshitware, which is using DLL injection. Nod32 under clean OS, as you recommended, catched it.

Thanks, guys!
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

There was a Delphi-infection warning a few weeks (~month) ago -- basically it was infecting compiled Delphi code. So if you had Delphi installed your library might be infected if this virus was able to get onto your machine -- then any code you compiled/distributed spread the virus.
kdv

Post by *kdv »

Balderstrom wrote:There was a Delphi-infection warning a few weeks (~month) ago -- basically it was infecting compiled Delphi code. So if you had Delphi installed your library might be infected if this virus was able to get onto your machine -- then any code you compiled/distributed spread the virus.
Well... i have no Delphi. I am a happy Win32/PSW.Legendmir.NHT trojan user :D

It puts Lpk.dll or Usp10.dll near almost every *.exe file, so it is actually not a dll injection. There are same named dll-s somewhere in windows/system32/... or so. If an executable refers to any of these dll-s, windows first looks for it near the *.exe and if none found - in system folders. So, if the fake dll is found, it's used instead of system one.

What is really annoying, this trojan puts it's dll-s into zip archives. :twisted:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the info. Which puzzle.wcx do you mean? The one on totalcmd.net is clean, just checked it on virustotal:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/PUZZLE.html

Only 2 scanners find it suspicious because it seems to be exe-packed.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

The puzzle.wcx archive on totalcmd.net passed Norton AV 2010 with flying colors.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license