This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? 
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAB: 2, 4 or 8 spaces. Make it configurable and 4 as default

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like this suggestion?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

EJocys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: TAB: 2, 4 or 8 spaces. Make it configurable and 4 as default Reply with quote

Please add "Tab Ident Size: [ 4 ]" option to configuration of internal viewer of Total Commander.

TAB size of 4 spaces is the most optimal size especially for code (because its visibly distinguishable not too small and not too large soma many levels of code would disappear to the right side of the screen.

P.S.: TAB's allows everybody to view document with indent size they like. Coders who use spaces instead of tabs are selfish bastards because, they are locking everybody else to their tastes.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tab width may be specified by parameter TabWidth in section [Lister] of wincmd.ini file. So, it is already configurable. Smile
You may read more about wincmd.ini parameters in TC help file.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no because it is already configurable - with [Lister]TabWidth= - and configurability seems to be the subject of this poll.

But I can support that it could be configurable via the GUI - I don't think it is such an exotic setting that it couldn't be there.

To Moderators - could one of you please move this thread to the "Total Commander Polls (English)" section ?

Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 9.10b1 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit, Win 7, 8.1 & 10 64bit. TC 2.81b8 on Android 6.0

Get Extended Total Commander Menus
Clo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderation:
Polls are only allowed in the special forum section, thread moved to Total Commander Polls (English)
Clo, moderator

#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Clo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: + for GUI Reply with quote

2petermad

Smile Hello Peter !

• I also voted “NO”, but I agree that the option should be in the Lister GUI settings…
… but whether THIS SEVEN-MONTH OLD SUGGESTION is considered, because I don't see WHERE such an option could be added… Neutral

• Please, notice that this option was already planned on the original mock-up Wink

Mr. Green FR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to be able to change the tabsize setting within the File Compare Tool. Though this is a setting that can be changed in wincmd.ini and doesn't need a restart of TC to take effect.

The converse is not true, trying to change the colors for lister requires a shutdown/restart of TC. And calculating the number TC needs for such is a PITA.

@Clo, I'm pretty sure the Lister Config could be easily changed:
The fields for Text: [81_______] ..... Binary: [75________] take up far more space than they need.

Text: [81__] ... Binary: [75__] ... Tab: [4__]
Even adjusting for other language considerations shouldn't be a problem if the edit box for the numbers are made smaller.
Clo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Add ONE--- Reply with quote

2Balderstrom

Smile Hello !

• Maybe the option of the current topic could be added via a deep redesign of this dialogue…
… but then ?
- Please, just glance THERE to get a clue of how it's shown in French… Sad Narrow font, 8, normal, bigger is impossible.
- For instance, the caption of the Lister plug-ins button must be so shortened that many users didn't find it !
- Moving the Mutimedia options onto another page - opened via a unambiguous named button- would be much more comfortable
and provide room to add future options on each box…
«To govern is to plan» (French proverb…).
- FYI, I'm not the only asking for an enlargement¦improvement of this box for years…
… and I dislike to waste my last years in jobs made for nothing…

Mr. Green KR
Claude
Clo
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balderstrom wrote:
The fields for Text: [81_______] ..... Binary: [75________] take up far more space than they need.

Text: [81__] ... Binary: [75__] ... Tab: [4__]
Even adjusting for other language considerations shouldn't be a problem if the edit box for the numbers are made smaller.

Just do it accurately. Here I draw it for English and Russian: http://imagehost.spark-media.ru/i/5F5AA461-385C-DCDA-8439-0A67723C7C80.png
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also lots of space for that change in Danish: http://www.madsen.homepage.dk/tcmd/listconf.png
TC 9.10b1 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit, Win 7, 8.1 & 10 64bit. TC 2.81b8 on Android 6.0

Clo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Ta--ta--ta-- Reply with quote

2MVV
2petermad

Smile Hello !

• Preaching to make cheeseparing economies will not help in getting a really better GUI by there…
- You simply postpone the issue, it's not solved about any other new needed option to add…
- So, I repeat :  And then ? Rolling Eyes

Mr. Green KR
Claude
Clo
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, folks.

I voted YES, although I know the wincmd.ini parameter TabWidth and had set it to 4 a very long time ago.
I voted YES, because configuring the tabwidth is not such an exotic action and it should be configurable inside the lister configuration dialogue.

About the question whether or not the current dialogue has got some space left where additional options can be placed: As a T.C. user, I cannot really be bothered to think too much about this question. It is Christian who will determine whether the dialogue box needs resizing, re-arranging or a general redesign.

Kind regards,
Karl
phz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add this...

YES for making this configurable

NO for making it default to 4.
8 is a standard tab size and THAT should be default. Defaults should always be most common, best for most uses or standardized values. 8 is defacto standard for tab size but of course you need an option to customize it for viewing code where tabsize of 4 is better.

There could also be automatic tab size adjustments where TC would recognize filetype and adjust tabs to that. For example, 4 for *.cpp, *.php etc. but for example *.txt could be 8. Of course, that too needs to be configurable if implemented.
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Lister Option #7: "UTF-8" Reply with quote

[Lister]
TabWidth=4

TabWidth parameter does not work when Lister menu option #7: "UTF-8" is selected.
It works only if option #1: "Text Only" is selected.

Sad Embarassed Mad
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TabWidth parameter does not work when Lister menu option #7: "UTF-8" is selected.
It works only if option #1: "Text Only" is selected.

I canNOT confirm this - here it works the same for both ANSI and UTF-8 files in TC8.0b9 x64 and x86.

This applies to UTF-8 files both with and without BOM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: