quicksearch and ctrl-arrow

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

liborm

quicksearch and ctrl-arrow

Post by *liborm »

I regularly use(d) quicksearch to focus some dir name, and then ctrl-arrow shortcut (with the quicksearch edit box still open) to open that directory in opposite panel. This stopped to work for me with 7.50 and the ctrl-s filter.

Would it be possible to get this behaviour back?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

When I use quick search in TC 7.04a or in 7.50a (with quick filter or without it), choose file using Up/Down keys and then press Ctrl+Arrow, TC closes quick search dialog and opens folder in target panel.
liborm

Post by *liborm »

Excuse me for not being more specific. Now I tested this behaviour on win XP sp1, XP sp2, vista, with clean tcmd install and with my few plugins loaded install (no quicksearch plugin though). I'm using the alt+letters, but tested both of the other options with dialog box - letters only and ctrl-alt-letters.

Still the same, for all of them. Ctrl-arrow just moves the caret in the text field.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

That's strange because on my Windows XP TC installed using official tcmd750a.exe installer opens folder in target panel when I'm using Ctrl+Arrow in quick search/filter window. Please try to start new TC instance with parameter /i=newini.ini and check it.
liborm

Post by *liborm »

Tested, same - wrong - result (only on my base system XP sp1 now).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

opens folder in target panel when I'm using Ctrl+Arrow in quick search/filter window.
Really? - also if the focus is in the quick search dialog box (below the file panel)? - because that is not what I experience - I see the same behaviour as liborm.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

When QS dialog opened, it has focus, it allows to input or remove characters but also it allows to move cursor using arrow keys. And, when cursor is in this dialog, I may open in target panel folder focused in source panel using Ctrl+Left (if source=right) or Ctrl+Right (if source=left). When I press Ctrl+Arrow key, TC hides QS/QF window and opens folder in target. As I said, TC 7.50a just installed using tcmd750a.exe on Windows XP SP3.
liborm

Post by *liborm »

So possibly it depends on localization of your Windows ... ? Let's wait for the author, if he can inspect the sources if such a change of behaviour is possible between the versions...

Thanks for trying it out.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2MVV
Well, not here with TC 7.50a and fresh .ini file - here Ctrl+arrowRight moves to the right end of the entered string and Ctrl+arrowLeft moves to the left start of the entered string.

Are you sure you are not running any keyboard modifying utilities in the background, or that any AHK-script or alike is causing this?
Last edited by petermad on 2010-03-16, 12:07 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Let's wait for the author, if he can inspect the sources if such a change of behaviour is possible between the versions...
But the change is not even possible, it is intentional. In TC 7.04a only backspace could be used inside the quick search box, but since TC 7.50 the quick search box is editable wich includes jumping between word boundaries with Ctrl+arrow (for file names with spaces).

Related history.txt:
05.08.09 Added: Quick search: Allow to overtype selected text

16.06.09 Fixed: Quick search/filter dialog: Don't try to interpret Altgr+Letters as letters only in Alt+Letters mode

16.06.09 Added: Quick search/filter dialog: Handle left/right arrow buttons internally, except in brief view where they are needed to go through columns
License #524 (1994)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

petermad wrote:2MVV
Well, not here with TC 7.50a and fresh .ini file - here Ctrl+arrowRight moves to the right end of the entered string and Ctrl+arrowLeft moves to the left start of the entered string.

Are you sure you are not running any keyboard modifying utilities in the background, or that any AHK-script or alike is causing this?
I never used AHK or some other script tools, also I'm not using keyboard modifying utilities.

I specially installed clean TC into temp folder to make tests. And I'm sure that INI is clean.

BTW, I've installed tcmd750a.exe into my virtual machine with clean XP SP3, checked that INI is clean (TC 7.50 pb8 was installed before) and may say that clean TC 7.50a on clean Windows XP changes dir on Ctrl+Arrow.
petermad wrote:Related history.txt:
05.08.09 Added: Quick search: Allow to overtype selected text

16.06.09 Fixed: Quick search/filter dialog: Don't try to interpret Altgr+Letters as letters only in Alt+Letters mode

16.06.09 Added: Quick search/filter dialog: Handle left/right arrow buttons internally, except in brief view where they are needed to go through columns
I found the reason of such strange behaviour on your machine and mine! I'm always using brief mode, but in full mode Ctrl+Arrow really moves cursor within quick filter edit field!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I found the reason of such strange behaviour on your machine and mine! I'm always using brief mode, but in full mode Ctrl+Arrow really moves cursor within quick filter edit field!
Bingo! - and I never uses brief mode - thank you for claryfying that.

The confusing thing: You wrote that you used a clean ini file - but with a clean ini TC will start in Full view ;-) - so that's why I didn't bother to test in brief view.
License #524 (1994)
liborm

Post by *liborm »

petermad wrote: But the change is not even possible, it is intentional. In TC 7.04a only backspace could be used inside the quick search box, but since TC 7.50 the quick search box is editable wich includes jumping between word boundaries with Ctrl+arrow (for file names with spaces).
Ok, then I'd suggest considering how often does anyone type filename with spaces and then wants to move around using these shortcuts. Because the way i suppose the quicksearch is usually used is to type 1-4 letters, then fine-tune the selection with up/down arrow and continue with intended work...

2MVV:
I'm glad you found the reason:) I'm using full mode/custom columns mode always.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

petermad wrote:The confusing thing: You wrote that you used a clean ini file - but with a clean ini TC will start in Full view ;-) - so that's why I didn't bother to test in brief view.
You're right. :oops:
But I started TC with clean INI :) just pressed Ctrl+F1 after. :D

I think that TC should have internal command to open dir in target panel. Also it should support hotkeys when QS dialog is active.
Last edited by MVV on 2010-03-16, 13:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Ok, then I'd suggest considering how often does anyone type filename with spaces and then wants to move around using these shortcuts. Because the way i suppose the quicksearch is usually used is to type 1-4 letters, then fine-tune the selection with up/down arrow and continue with intended work...
I agree - you should put a post in the "TC7.5 suggestions (English)" section about this.
License #524 (1994)