Feature request: different icon-size per bar if using 2 bars

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clo

Feature request: different icon-size per bar if using 2 bars

Post by *Clo »

>>> Mr. Ch. Ghisler

Hello!
When using two button-bars (one calling the other, and the opposite...), we have a single icon-size for both (or more) bars...
:( That doesn't allow to have i.e. a 32*32 icons bar for an user, and a second as 48*48 for another user having view problems.
Moreover, TC doesn't accept 48*48 originals, though in one hand, this size is set, in the other hand, Windows supports and manages 48*48 icons...
:cry: TC only blows-up 32*32 icons up to 48*48
:arrow: Please, see too:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2680.
Isn't a double post, this message (French) just describes the problem which caused this request...
:arrow: A second test here: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2702
:) Very best regards, yours,
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2003-12-22, 01:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Clo
That doesn't allow to have i.e. a 32*32 icons bar for an user, and a second as 48*48 for another user having view problems.
You need two *.bar-files and corresponding Wincmd.ini entries.
Moreover, TC doesn't accept 48*48 originals, though in one hand, this size is set, in the other hand, Windows supports and manages 48*48 icons...
TC only blows-up 32*32 icons up to 48*48
That's wrong for Total Commander 6+.
From History.txt: Button bar: Support for 48x48 and 64x64 icons for very high resolution displays, better scaling of sizes between 16 and 32
Clo

Not under Win98Se...

Post by *Clo »

Lefteous wrote:2Clo

You need two *.bar-files and corresponding Wincmd.ini entries.
TC only blows-up 32*32 icons up to 48*48
That's wrong for Total Commander 6+.
From History.txt: Button bar: Support for 48x48 and 64x64 icons for very high resolution displays, better scaling of sizes between 16 and 32
:D
Hi! It's in the "history" file but that does not work under Win 98 SE! The 48*48 icons that I attempted to set are 8 & 24 BPP. Please, look at:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2680
:oops: Sorry, it's in French... I prepar a translation if you wish?
:arrow: ~15 mn ....
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Clo

What about posting the buttonbar-file including the corresponding iconlibrary?
Clo

Continuation...

Post by *Clo »

What about posting the buttonbar-file including the corresponding iconlibrary?
:arrow: The French thread translation:
"Normally, the toolbar-icons can be blown-up up to 48*48 pixels at least. But even if you chose this size in the "Buttons" dialog - having already 32*32 installed icons -, it's impossible to make that TC displays an original 48*48! Instead the chosen icon, TC gets and displays.... the first icon contained into the EXE of the program associated with the *.ico file-type !
I tried to create a second bar, designed to use 48*48 icons. I set the size at 48*48. Hence, the 1st.bar had blown-up icons, there was no matter just for a test. But when I chose an original 48*48, it was ignored, and TC came back to the EXE of the program associated with the *.ico file-type, and displayed again the first one (enlarged, of course, because in that case the embedded icons are 32*32 only...)
I didn't test multi-frame icons; I don't think that TC supports them...?
....Blah blah..."

Finally, I resigned this large icons use in my usual PC... I configured the second bar as "classic", and that works with 32*32 icons.
:oops: The icons of this test are not in a DLL / ICL. They are multiple *.ico files.
:arrow: That'ld need a test in a TC which has none buttonbar already...
What a mess! How to explain that better... :?:
:) friendly,
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2003-12-20, 01:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Clo
What a mess! How to explain that better...
What about posting the buttonbar-file including the corresponding icon files?
Clo

None benefit... [Edit]

Post by *Clo »

What a mess! How to explain that better...
What about posting the buttonbar-file including the corresponding icon files?
:( That shouln't bring any useful info, since like I told you above, I had to configure the second bar as classic with 32*32...
The other PCs of my home-LAN have classic toolbars too, they arn't available for a test actually. Such a test needs a TC without any bar, and to begin a button-config with the same icons - with the size set in first as 48*48- I've a small collection included in a pack, downloadable from the TC Page at my Web Site (button just below here!)
That looks like another issue fixed a long time ago: from the English Tutorial >>> FAQ
Q. In the file lists, Total Commander doesn't display the right icons for files associated with programs! It displays the *.ICO file type icon for all!
A. That occurs in 32-bit versions if you increased or decreased the title-bar height in Windows. If possible, restore the size to 18, which is the default. If you want for keep the customized title-bar height, you need to change each icon (only xxx.ICO files) for each file type by a different one, contained in a DLL or ICL icon-library; you can choose icons in any *.EXE program file too. Then, Total Commander will display the right icons everywhere!
Writers's notice: the resolution of this strange problem (that I discovered) needed a lot of... emails! Fortunately, the Author found the cause... By chance, I found the icon-libraries solution!

Edit You said:
"You need two *.bar-files and corresponding Wincmd.ini entries."

Currently, there is a single entry in the wincmd.ini file for all bars, like:
[Buttonbar]
Buttonheight=37
FlatIcons=1
SmallIcons=0

¤ That ignores different bars. I don't think that could be changed...
It might be something like:

[Buttonbar1]
BarFile1=path\totalcmd\default1.bar
Binary1=path\totalcmd\default1.br1
Buttonheight1=37
FlatIcons1=1
SmallIcons1=0

[Buttonbar2]
BarFile2=path\totalcmd\MyBar2.bar
Binary2=path\totalcmd\MyBar2.br2
Buttonheight2=xx
FlatIcons2=y
SmallIcons2=z

:) Cheers, to be continued...
Clo
Bluz

48x48 icons

Post by *Bluz »

TC not really change icon size to 48x48 then displaying panels, just blow up 32x32 to 48x48, if choose "Options > Font > Symbol size = 48x48"

Example for 2 panels below.
Clo

Not the topic…

Post by *Clo »

2Bluz

:) Hello ! Welcome aboard !

• The topic here was the icons of the button-bar¦s, not those in the file-lists…

• That you quote as Option for the file-lists icons is valid up to the 6.56 only, now there is an Icons option page in TC 7.0x

• There are many improvements about both these two types of icons in the 7.0 ;)

- However, let's notice that the original issue is not solved yet,
since it's still impossible to display different icon-sizes in several bars as a built-in feature…

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

This has also been discussed in the beta forum. My suggestion then was to save and read the metric parameters:

Buttonheight=
FlatIcons=
SmallIcons=
XPstyle=
SmallIconSize=1

in the .bar file itself, in stead of in the wincmd.ini file. Then each butonbar can have its own settings.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

There's none so deaf as…

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hello Peter !

• It's a good approch too…

:( Unfortunately, “There's none so deaf as those who will not hear…”

• My original suggestion¦report has been ignored here for ages…

:mrgreen: FR
Claude
Clo
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2petermad: sounds feasible !
The bar itself must be drawn according to its private settings of course!

The old entries may remain in the wincmd.ini to define the defaults for a new bar ...

If there are private bar settings, those should be used.
If there are none, the default should be use.
This way old bars remain compatible :!:
#5767 Personal license