English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

[Solved] Sync dirs: "by content" with plugins

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

This may be a bug report or just a report based on a misunderstanding.
history.txt wrote:04.11.11 Added: Synchronize dirs: Also support "by content" with packer plugins, if the plugins supports the PK_CAPS_SEARCHTEXT capability (e.g. 7zip) (32/64)
I am not sure whether this new function really does what it is supposed to do or whether the 7-zip plugin v0.7.6.5a (32-bit/64-bit provided by you) really supports the PK_CAPS_SEARCHTEXT or whether I misunderstand what the result should look like.

Testing environment:
  • Vista Home Premium SP2, 32-bit
  • Total Commander 8.0ß8 32-bit
  • 7-zip plugin v0.7.6.5a
  • 2 .7z-archives:
    left: C:\temp\Thunderbird701.7z (Thunderbird profile, dated 01-Nov-2011)
    right: C:\Users\karl\Thunderbird\Thunderbird701.7z (Thunderbird profile, dated 04-Nov-2011)
  • Synchronize dirs options:
    [x] subdirs
    [x] by content
Pressing [Compare] yields the same results in T.C.8.0ß7 and T.C.8.0ß8:
The files which are newer in the right archive are displayed with the blue arrow (<=) in front of their names, which is correct.

All other files display a red question mark (?).

Should T.C.8.0ß8 not compare them by content and find out that these files are the same in the left and the right archive? (Filedates are the same.)

Marking a random pair of files having the red question mark (?) and selecting "compare left & right" from the context menu works fine in T.C.8.0ß7 and T.C.8.0ß8 and yields the correct result that the two files are identical, no matter which pair of files has been chosen.

Performing the same steps as those explained above on 2 .ZIP archives yields the expected results.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on 2011-11-06, 16:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Works fine for me. It sounds like you had an older version of the 7zip plugin installed previously which didn't report that it can handle text search.

Solution:
1. Remove the plugin via Configuration - Options - Plugins
2. Re-add the plugin
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

You are right. Before installing the 7-zip plugin v0.7.6.5a the old version v0.5.8 had been on the disk for ages. I will uninstall and re-install the plugin and report back...

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Christian.

Problem solved by uninstalling the 7-zip plugin and re-installing.
The source oof trouble actually was that the old 7-zip plugin had written the following line to the section [PackerPlugins]:
7z=95,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\7zip\7zip.wcx
Manually updating 7-zip v0.5.8 to v0.7.6.5a had prevented the plugin from updating this figure. However, the capability figure for the current 7-zip plugin v0.7.6.5a should read 223.
So after re-installing and using the plugin the line now reads
7z=223,%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\7zip\7zip.wcx
Thanks a lot for your advice,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Guess this thread might be moved to the normal English forum, because the bug was not located inside the plugin or T.C., but sitting in front of the keyboard.
dllee

Post by *dllee »

So, the better way is TC will update the capability setting value during update a plugin.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hi, dllee.

Hm, it was my manual update steps which preserved the outdated capability figure: the update was done with the help of "Synchronize dirs". "Synchronize dirs" did not look at my wincmd.ini in this case, of course.
So it was my own fault.

Cheers,
Karl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

So, the better way is TC will update the capability setting value during update a plugin.
The problem is that the user may acutally have changed that value manually - then this user-defined setting would be lost. for example, a user may want to disable text search in certain archives if he doesn't need that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.