Excessive CRLF pairs in Descript.ion files

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

FoxWolfie

Excessive CRLF pairs in Descript.ion files

Post by *FoxWolfie »

Using TC 8.0 beta16 32bit on Windows XP sp3

When copying files with descriptions, the resulting destination descript.ion file becomes larger than the source descript.ion. Upon investigating, I see that extra CRLF bytes are being added between each line.

A source folder containing three files, with this decript.ion file:

TestFile_1.txt Description #1<CRLF>
TestFile_2.txt Description #2<CRLF>
TestFile_3.txt Description #3<CRLF>

will result in this destination descript.ion file:

TestFile_1.txt Description #1<CRLF>
<CRLF>
TestFile_2.txt Description #2<CRLF>
<CRLF>
TestFile_3.txt Description #3<CRLF>

Viewing in Hex mode shows that the original file has one CRLF terminating each line. The destination has two CRLFs after each line, The final line in both the original and the destination is terminated with a single CRLF.

The descript.ion file in a directory containing thousands of described files can be several K larger than that in the original directory it was copied from. This causes copied directories to rarely compare to the same size as the originals, even though they always should be the same.

Version 7.55 does not add the extra CRLF pairs. Version 8.0 x32 beta16 does. I am not sure when the problem was introduced.
FoxWolfie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed. I just compared the source between TC 7.55 and 8.0, and I cannot find anything which might be causing your problem.

Can you give me step by step instructions how to reproduce this problem, please? I set a comment for three files in the left panel, then copied them one by one to the right panel (empty directory). The comments were all added to the newly created descript.ion file without any gaps.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can confirm the bug with a clean ini file (exept for enabeling copying descriptions with files).

I can confirm it for TC 8.0b16 both 64 bit and 32 bit under Win 7 x64 and Win XP 32bit.

Interesting enough I cannot reproduce the bug in TC 8.0b16 32bit under Win 7 with my ordinary ini file, so it should be testet with a clean ini file.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I can confirm this too. The interesting thing is that it is not just adding new CRLF, it is randomly switching between one and two CRLF per description.

Say I copy files and their descriptions from folder A to B. In the source descript.ion there is one CRLF after each comment. Then in the new descript.ion, comments (most but not all) will have two CRLF between them.
Now when I copy files from B to folder C, target descript.ion will again change - double CRLF will become single and single CRLF will become double. However again between most but not all comments.

This is happening under the same circumstances as petermad has described.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
FoxWolfie

Post by *FoxWolfie »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I set a comment for three files in the left panel, then copied them one by one to the right panel (empty directory). The comments were all added to the newly created descript.ion file without any gaps.
Those are the same steps that I took. I just repeated the test again to verify that it did the same going from right panel to left panel, as well as from left to right. The bug is still there, except that it only inserted the extra CRLF after the first line, instead of after the first and second line, as it did yesterday.

I have now tried it with different numbers of files, in different directories, and it appears to add the duplicate CRLF pairs after most lines in the descript.ion file, most of the time, but it doesn't always add then after each line. I have not found a way to predict the behavior. The same described files with the same descriptions do not always yield the same results. Sometimes the extra CRLF is inserted after each line, except for the last line. Other times it is inserted only after some of the lines. And, sometimes, but rarely, it doesn't have the problem at all.

I tried with a clean ini, with descriptions enabled, and still see the same unpredictable results. I tried going between directories on the same NTFS drive, as well as copying to and from a FAT32 drive. I tried immediately after a fresh restart of the system as well. Nothing seems to prevent the problem. Luckily, it is more annoying than actually a real problem, as no data is ever lost. I've also not seen it place more than two CRLF pairs between the same pair of lines, no matter how many times I copy files.
FoxWolfie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be fixed in TC 8 beta 17 now. Btw, it seems that it was introduced in TC 7.56.
https://www.ghisler.com
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

I confirm that it's fixed in beta 17.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Seems to be fixed in TC 8.0b17 :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
FoxWolfie

Post by *FoxWolfie »

It appears to be fixed in beta 17.
FoxWolfie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks!