windows 7 default open folder in total commander

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

erngab

windows 7 default open folder in total commander

Post by *erngab »

Is there a possibility to open folder on desktop default with Total Commander.
Total Commander to be my main to work with folders (in start menu my computer, or desktop folders).
Hello!
leolaser

Post by *leolaser »

Not sure about Win7, but this may help you

http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Explorer_integration
--LL
erngab

Post by *erngab »

Thanks leolaser its work in Win 7!
erngab

Post by *erngab »

Now another question.

It seems that in x64 win 7 Control Panel not working with Total Commander.
On page http://www.ghisler.ch/wiki/index.php/Explorer_integration
explains how it is possible to Total Commander integrate in explorer, and how to reset to default Windows operation.

Explained the Recycle Bin integration with Total Commander and reset to default behavior of Windows Recycle Bin.
Could it be something similar to Control Panel - some REGEDIT4?

Thanks in advance
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, erngab.

Please, understand that Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit are two different operating systems that look pretty similar but that are internally different.

The WIKI article applies to Windows 32-bit systems, but it is not really applicable to Windows 64-bit systems.
On Windows 64-bit systems, the default Explorer which will be used is the 64-bit Explorer. It is not really a smart idea to replace the 64-bit Explorer by a 32-bit Total Commander.

Please, also cf. this WIKI article in order to get an idea why 32-bit vs 64-bit does matter.

32-bit programmes simply do not have access to certain 64-bit parts of 64-bit Windows systems or at minimum the 32-bit programmes have to play some tricks to achieve their goals.

Kind regards,
Karl
erngab

Post by *erngab »

I want to use Total Commander instead of Explorer. I used to run things from the desktop and a toolbar that automatically opens Explorer. Now Total Commander is the default and everything is fine. Anywhere I click opens in Total Commander. Now the only problem - Control Panel.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, erngab.

Total Commander used as a file manager - which it is by design - will work fine on Windows 7 64-bit, too.

There should not be a problem in simply launching control.exe from
+ the T.C. commandline
+ a T.C. button

In case this does not bring up the default Windows 7 Control Panel, running this commandline from T.C. should do:
C:\windows\sysnative\control.exe
Sorry, cannot perform a test to verify my words right now, because I am on Ubuntu at the time of writing this, not on Windows 7 64-bit. :oops:

Kind regards,
Karl
erngab

Post by *erngab »

I've succeeded to open the control panel in Explorer. I put it in the left panel to favorites. But no all controls operate properly. Something is ok - something no.

Karlchen - thanks for try.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, erngab.

On a Windows 7 64-bit you will be able to launch the fully functional Windows Control Panel by
  1. simply typing control.exe in the T.C. commandline
  2. creating and using a T.C. button which simply invokes control.exe
You will not be able to launch the fully functional Windows Control Panel in case you use
  1. the T.C. internal command cm_OpenControls
  2. the Control Panel item offered inside the upmost level of the T.C. breadcrumb bar
This means, you can successfully launch the fully functional Windows Control Panel from Total Commander, but you cannot open it inside either of the two T.C. file panels. All that you will get there is a 32-bit subset of the Windows Control Panel.

Kind regards,
Karl
mschmenner

Post by *mschmenner »

Now TC 8.0 Beta 64bit is out, so I tested it as described inthe article for Windows7, but it doesn't work for me. When I left-click on a directory and try to open the directory via context menu entry there comes up an error message which tells me there is no standard application for this file type and asks me to configure the standard application.
Will there be a way to use TC 64bit as standard explorer for directories and Zip-Files?

Best regards

Matthias

[quote="karlchen"]Hello, erngab.

Please, understand that Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit are two different operating systems that look pretty similar but that are internally different.
32-bit programmes simply do not have access to certain 64-bit parts of 64-bit Windows systems or at minimum the 32-bit programmes have to play some tricks to achieve their goals.

Kind regards,
Karl[/quote]
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

When I left-click on a directory and try to open the directory via context menu entry there comes up an error message which tells me there is no standard application for this file type and asks me to configure the standard application.
Are you sure you mean left-click ? Left-click is usually not supposed to open the context menu.

To open a folder or a zip-file in TC you can either press Enter, Double-click or pres Ctrl+PgDn - does none of these approaches work for you?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar