[8.52ax86] TC shows 'CD-ROM' tooltip on 0th FTP drive button

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[8.52ax86] TC shows 'CD-ROM' tooltip on 0th FTP drive button

Post by *MVV »

It looks funny but I see 'CD-ROM' tooltip on drive bar button for 0th FTP connection instead of server address. Other FTP connection buttons show proper tooltips.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I can confirm this. On my system all FTP connections show "CD-ROM" as tooltip. It doesn't even matter whether one or two drive bars are shown.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, I cannot confirm this - I have so far tried with TC 8.52a 32- and 64 bit under Windows 7 and Windows 10 - also tried with a clean wincmd.ini file and a clean wcx_ftp.ini file

Tried with both 1 and 2 drive bars.

Maybe you have a fixed tooltip set in the [DriveHints] section?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

instead of server address
The tooltip does not show the server address, but the Session name.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

petermad wrote:Maybe you have a fixed tooltip set in the [DriveHints] section?
AFAIK [DriveHints] doesn't allow defining tooltips for drives 0, 1 etc. And, I can reproduce it with clean INI.
Only connection 0 has wrong tooltip, 1, 2 etc has right ones.
petermad wrote:The tooltip does not show the server address, but the Session name.
You're right, it shows preset name for saved FTP connections (Ctrl+F), but it shows server address for quick connections (Ctrl+N).

I've just checked with TC 7.56a, and I also see 'CD-ROM' tooltip.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Maybe the number of FTP connections showing the wrong tooltip depends on the number of optical drives on the system. I've got 7 in total, 4 of them are real ones, the rest are virtual ones (Daemon Tools).

Interestingly, I can't reproduce the bug on a VM, which has two "real" optical drives and one virtual (KernSafe) one. But I can reproduce it on my host system with a clean wincmd.ini and even a clean wcx_ftp.ini (after adding two connections by hand).

Another note: I don't have any CD-ROMs in my systems. There're CD-RW, DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives, but no CD-R ones.

Just found out another thing: After opening four FTP connections (to the same FTP server), I finally see the correct tooltip on the fourth connection, but the first three show "CD-ROM" instead.

[ADD]
The connection's name in the drive list is correct for all four connections, only the drive bar's tooltips of the first three connections are wrong.
[/ADD]

[ADD]
After changing the drive letters of the VM's drives I can reproduce it on the VM as well, though only the first connection shows the wrong tooltip. So it definitely has something to do with the real optical drives. Makes me wonder what TC does exactly to get the tooltips...
[/ADD]

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

JFYI - I only have one (real) CD-rom drive on the machines I've tested.
License #524 (1994)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

My both physical machines have Win7 and 1 real drive (DVD-RW) and 4 virtual ones, I can reproduce problem on both.

VM with Windows XP SP3 + 1 or 2 CD-ROM(s) + TC 8.01: can't reproduce.

VM with Windows 7 + 1 or 2 CD-ROM(s) + TC 8.52a: can't reproduce (I've even tried to change drive letters from D, E to F, G, H but with no luck).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the problem, neither with Ctrl+F nor with Ctrl+N. I have two DVD drives, one internal and one connected via USB (which can do burn quality checks).

1. Can you provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem, please?
2. Does it happen immediately after starting TC and connecting via Ctrl+F or Ctrl+N, or only after TC has shown or hidden regular drive letters?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Can you provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem, please?
Well, that's difficult since I haven't been able to find out the "correct" trigger, except changing the drive letter, but doesn't seem to always trigger it (see MVV's post).
2. Does it happen immediately after starting TC and connecting via Ctrl+F or Ctrl+N, or only after TC has shown or hidden regular drive letters?
What do you mean by "shown or hidden regular drive letters"? I just launch TC, open an FTP connection to any server (using Ctrl+F), let it read the directories and hold the mouse over the newly created button of the drive bar.

I made some screenshots on a VM (XP SP3, TC 8.52a with clean wincmd.ini but regular wcx_ftp.ini)
One connection
Two FTP connections
As you can see, there must be a difference in how TC gets the tooltip label since the drive list shows the correct label.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

I think I've got it: The optical drive must have drive letter P to trigger the bug for the first connection, Q for the second connection and so on.

I made some more tests on a separate system (Win7 SP1 x64, TC 8.52a (32 bit), one optical drive only), which I can restore at any time from an image.

So, here are the step by step instructions:
  • Open Disk Management and change the drive letter of the optical drive to P (or Q).
  • Launch TC and enable the display of drive buttons, if disabled
  • Open connection to any FTP server, doesn't matter if saved connection (Ctrl+F) or new connection (Ctrl+N)
  • If you changed the drive letter to Q in the first step, you must open a second FTP connection to see the bug
  • Hold mouse over first (or second) FTP connection in the drive bar to see the wrong tooltip
Since I've been using drive letters P and Q for the optical drives on my systems for ages, I've always seen this bug.

[ADD]
This bug affects TC 8.52a x64, too.
[/ADD]

[ADD]
This bug has been there for a looong time. I can reproduce it with TC 6.0, too. I haven't tested any older version.
[/ADD]

Regards
Dalai
Last edited by Dalai on 2016-04-04, 16:47 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#101164 Personal licence

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I confirm your guess regarding drive P: I have virtual drives with letters MNOP.

I tried to change it to Q, and 0th hint have become correct even w/o restarting TC or FTP connection! And yes, 1st connection now shows CD-ROM hint!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I will try it, thanks. My drives have letters h: and k:.

Are all the drive letters up to P: in use, or why do you use these letters?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Are all the drive letters up to P: in use, or why do you use these letters?
No, not all of them are in use. Traditionally, I start with drive O as optical drive. So there are the real optical drives O through R and W through Y are the virtual ones. The reason behind this is simple: I don't need to change the drive letters of existing drives when other drives (drive types) are added, typically hard drives, USB drives, card readers and so on. I don't like when the drives are mixed up.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

In my case MNOP letters for virtual drives are also used to prevent mixing virtual drives with real ones, there are free letters before them.