[Easy] Enlightened the Menu color

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

islogged

[Easy] Enlightened the Menu color

Post by *islogged »

Because for some people, TC can be little bit austere.
The TC menu are so grey and have a so oldSchool color style : http://imgur.com/98LCb3T

I think it need to be enlightened more ...
It's a suggestion.

Thanks for Read.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2islogged
If you are interested in an instant change you might wanna change the color for '3D objects' in Windows to whatever you want. This will affect other elements as well so choose wisely.
islogged

Post by *islogged »

Thanks for answer (and tricks) but it's not the way of the message ...
My objective it's to render TC more powerful, coherent and beautiful ^^
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

What Explorer shows it is NOT menu, it is some other thing (some kind of homemade panel).
TC shows real menu, and menus in Windows have exactly the same color (e.g. open Notepad and see its menu).
And I don't see any sense in patching TC to view exactly like Explorer every time M$ decides to introduce any new 'feature'...
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MVV
What Explorer shows it is NOT menu, it is some other thing (some kind of homemade panel)
It's a ribbon menu. If you don't have Windows 8/10 where this is used in Explorer you can start Paint in Windows 7 and open the file menu.
j7n

Post by *j7n »

In my opinion the win7-grey (240,240,240) is not grey enough compared to true old school win2k-grey 212,208,200. Lines that form "3D" edges are almost invisible on win7-grey. But it is still better than the example to the right. I can see that the conventional menu forms a new object, a new layer which sits on top of the file listing. The ribbon menu is nearly the same color as the directory and file tree below it, and blends with it. I had to look at the presented screenshot for several seconds to get an idea of its composition.

I consider the menu bar and tool bar to have incorrect color - they should be grey as well. White is for controls that can be directly typed into (for example where files can be renamed): a menu and a button are part of a fixed panel.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

White is for controls that can be directly typed into (for example where files can be renamed): a menu and a button are part of a fixed panel.
Unfortunately new M$ style is dumb white for entire dialog boxes with all controls and edit fields...
islogged

Post by *islogged »

TC shows real menu, and menus in Windows have exactly the same color (e.g. open Notepad and see its menu).
TC Menu: 240.240.240
Notepad Menu: 242.242.242

Then Tc menu is little more Darky yeah ...
For me the best way is like Google Chrome: 255.255.255 ( http://i.imgur.com/uqBY5YF.jpg )

Anyway all this, it's about to follow (or not) the 2016 Standard/Trend Graphic Rules.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC usually respects good traditions first and follows strange standards last. :)

Perhaps you should try switching 'Windows XP theme background' option in Layout configuration page, maybe it will make menu color closer to Windows theme. Also please check colors in 32-bit TC, it uses different runtime environment so there may be some differences.

As for me, I would hate this white Chrome menu since I hate irritating white backgrounds for large windows/panels/dialogs, therefore I use classic Windows theme with pleasant background colors.
j7n

Post by *j7n »

At least the Chrome example has a shadow and a somewhat 3D border. But it still does a poor approximation of a Windows-standard menu. Browsers tend to do everything with their own engine (menus and dialog boxes, such as About and Settings), with visual styles that clash with the desktop.

For example I have Opera here (Chromium engine). Menu items are not vertically centered. There is too much padding around them. Disabled items are not "embossed". (Although the result is still not as bad as "Qt" menus, which are also functionally broken - can't drag over to a submenu diagonally without the submenu disappearing.)

Okay, I'm rambling.

Total Commander's menu looks much better, almost like Windows' own. I can't say where the difference between 240 and 242 originates.

Perhaps, TC's menu does not look so good on WinSeven already. It doesn't seem to use the "standard" menu, but emulates one, that is somewhat closer to XP-style. Perhaps a Delphi application can't have Windows' menus. This is not that big of a deal. Ideally, TC should look exactly like Notepad.

Microsoft was well onto bleaching the UI in Seven/Vista already. In this example the boundaries of the empty progress bar and buttons are quite hard to see.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC uses exactly standard Windows menu control, it doesn't emulate it. However there are some features that require custom drawing (like icons in menus), therefore there may be small differences, and also theme background option may change something in case of non-classic themes.
islogged

Post by *islogged »

Hi,

In messages i read Tc(x32), Windows XP, Windows Seven, Xp-style, etc ...
It's already old references, i use Windows 10 and Tc (x64) maybe more than 1 year ...

The fact is the interface of softwares become (and will become) more bleachy...
Anyway, it's not only about Windows and others Softwares, it's also about Tc.

As you can see on the capture, first message of this Topic ( http://imgur.com/98LCb3T )
-Tc Menu Bar is Fully White: (255.255.255)
-Tc Button Bar is Fully White: (255.255.255)
-Tc Panel Background is Fully White: (255.255.255)

Then it can be more harmonious for Tc to make also the Menus more Bleachy ...
I can't say where the difference between 240 and 242 originates.
Yeah just a bit ... but 240 + 15 (not so much also) => change to Fully White ...
This is not that big of a deal. Ideally, TC should look exactly like Notepad.
Then (242.242.242) Deal Voted! (for a first step)

1-It don't change so much (for those don't like) as you told
2-It get little bit more bleachy as i suggest
3-It get a 100% Windows 10 standard color :wink:

Thanks for exchange.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

islogged wrote:The fact is the interface of softwares become (and will become) more bleachy...
It's not a fact. It is only your opinion.
W10 Redstone 14316 wrote:Personalization Improvements: We’ve added the ability to universally toggle between dark and light modes via Settings > Personalization > Colors.
http://az648995.vo.msecnd.net/win/2016/04/dark-mode.png

SCNR
Holger
islogged

Post by *islogged »

It's not a fact. It is only your opinion.
Just for correction...
The fact is the interface of softwares become
=> That's the Facts
(and will become)
=> That's my opinion, yeah
toggle between dark and light
Want to also add a dark mode on Tc? :wink:
Because actually it's light ... with a little bit grey menu :lol: :wink:

Ps: End of Topic for me
Thanks
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

islogged wrote:Want to also add a dark mode on Tc? :wink:
Because actually it's light ... with a little bit grey menu :lol:
On Topic:
Actually the default colors of TC depends on system settings.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724371%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

If you select a system wide dark window background color, TC will reflect this too.

BTW: Who says that everybody is using the default?
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=171497#171497

BTW2: Nothing against an option to configure the menu background color, text color and font.
But the default should always be the systems default!

Regards
Holger