Standard icon settings vs. default icons from Explorer

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Standard icon settings vs. default icons from Explorer

Post by *Lefteous »

The icon settings have become quite complex. Now we have to choose between associated, standard icons and the independent default Explorer icons setting.

Can you explain how these settings are related and if yes translate this into the UI?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Seems nobody can explain it...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Hmm, I don't understand your question - I find it pretty obvious what the setting: "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" does
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

petermad wrote:Hmm, I don't understand your question - I find it pretty obvious what the setting: "Show default folder/file icons from Explorer" does
I wasn't asking about the meaning of the single option but how it's related to the already existing options.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It's unrelated: It's about the DEFAULT icons for files/folders, e.g. the icon for files with no association, and the folders with no special icon defined via desktop.ini.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It's unrelated: It's about the DEFAULT icons for files/folders, e.g. the icon for files with no association, and the folders with no special icon defined via desktop.ini.
So files 'with no association' are standard icons - aren't they? That's what I ment.
In other words. When I select 'only standard icons' it's the new default icon checkbox which controls how these standard icons are displayed.

So why not
1) Place the setting near the standard icon setting?
2) Make it more explicit by telling the user how it looks when not using Explorer icons.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The radio buttons on that page control something else: They control which icons will be loaded: The top option loads as many as possible. The second doesn't load EXE/LNK icons, but loads icons for file associations (e.g. txt -> notepad). The "only standard" only uses default icons, e.g. a generic file and a generic folder icon.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
Yes exactly - all setting including standard and above will use standard icons and this options configures how standard icons look. But maybe it's not a good idea to configure an option which you didn't choose explicitely (but implicitely).