a little option to limit the history of drive by side

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Michael REMY

a little option to limit the history of drive by side

Post by *Michael REMY »

hi,

here a thing which is borring me many times, i did't see any tweak option in my TC 8.52a.

in the left side, i browse a drive, then i stop and work in c:\program files\a\b\c\d folder

then i click on the side right and start begin to broswe C. Then it starts in the same C path than the left side !

i wish the history kept in memory would only concerns a side and not be shared (neither altered) by the other side.

have a good day
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Michael REMY
Try and put this parameter in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file:
AlwaysToRoot=1
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

petermad wrote:2Michael REMY
Try and put this parameter in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file:
AlwaysToRoot=1
thank i will try.
it is not possible to change the option in the menu ?
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Michael REMY,
By default TC remembers current dirs for every drive, and when you switch to another drive, it opens its current dir. This works just like in DOS and cmd.exe.

Mentioned AlwaysToRoot opition changes behaviour of drive buttons so they open root dir when you switch to another drive. This option may also be changed on Configuration - Operation page.
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

my need was bad misunderstood (my example suggested i need alays the root, which is not)

i don't need TC to go back to root each time i click a letter drive, i just need TC does not remember the last path from the other side of TC and keeps remebers its own path in his own side.

when i open 2 cmd shell windows, the both cmds shellshave independent history, not a shared one. (tested on win7)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Michael REMY
TC does have its own history for each file panel - just press Alt+down.

But when you switch to a same drive for the first time in the opposite panel in a TC session TC has to start somewhere, so it starts in the same directory as the panel you where in. To work around that behaviour set both panels to the same drive BEFORE you start browsing

What you describe only happens if you change drive and the drive you change to happens to also be open in the opposite panel.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

imagine you work with that :

left : c:\myfolder\a\b\c\d
right : c:\myfolder2\z\x\y

for each on, you have to siwtch with d:\backup

then, each time you left one side to go D, then you go back to c: then, TC choose the last C path whereas it should choose the last c path FROM THIS SIDE.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

it should choose the last c path FROM THIS SIDE
It shouldn't, current behaviour with global last current directory is here for years, and it is useful e.g. when you need to quickly open same dir on another side. But I agree that option to separate working dirs for every panel won't hurt.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

then, each time you left one side to go D, then you go back to c: then, TC choose the last C path whereas it should choose the last c path FROM THIS SIDE.
Then use the history (Alt+downArrow) to go back to the previous dir on C. after you are done on D:

The current behaviour has been like this for always, and af MVV points out also has it's benefits.

But an option to use the panels history, when changing drive is and OK idea or maybe a modifer like Shift when you click on a drive button that would make TC try to find the new drive in the history of the panel and the use that.
Last edited by petermad on 2016-11-16, 18:34 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

i did not say it is a bug, i just said it should be an option to choose :
- mutual/common drive history shared by both sides.
- each side have its own drive history

by the way, i wonder how TC managed that with multi instance...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

- each side have its own drive history
Each panel already has it's own drive and folder history.
License #524 (1994)
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

i quit, i have the feeling to explain what is right , what is left.

Just reread my post
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=320960&sid=9a61864b18140636f19becfe4f8c009b#320960
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Just use <Alt+Left> (cm_GotoPreviousDir: the button with the left arrow) to navigate back to the previous dir/drive instead of using the drive button/drive selection list.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again