(Out of Topic) Do we need a "OUT OF TOPIC" forum?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Clas Hortien

Post by *Clas Hortien »

Nad(n.): Measure defined as the distance between a driver's outstretched fingertips and the ticket-machine in an automatic car-park. 1 nad=18,4cm
For me a nad is only 17,5cm, as i have longer arms. ;-)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Clas Hortien
as i have longer arms
But a smaller car - so it equals out :-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2majkinetor !
2Clas Hortien

Hehe, I'm glad you like this. I got another one for you from that great book:

Frolesworth (n.):
Measure. The minimum time it is necessary to spend frowning in deep concentration at each picture in an art gallery in order that everyone else doesn't think you're a complete moron.

Clas Hortien, I envy you for your long arms! :wink:
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

@Moderators/ghisler:
How is anyone supposed to know which postings you have moved if you don't link to them directly but instead link to the beginning of some huge OT thread?

Is that some new forum policy? No separate OT threads anymore but just put everything on top of some huge pile of trash?

Icfu

[mod]
Please follow the guidelines for moderators!
Guidelines for moderators wrote:If you want to comment on a moderator's comment or action please send him an email. (Hacker / Lefteous / Clo)
Lefteous (Moderator)
[/mod]
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Hej, moderators have you gone insane ?

What are you trying to do ? Put all OT posts in 1 thread. That is the stupiest thing I ever heard....

I don't know any more where are things.... + you are breaking conversation.

You have been asked too many times to create OT forum, but now this !
We will have 100 pages in few days here.....

[mod]
Please follow the guidelines for moderators!
Guidelines for moderators wrote:If you want to comment on a moderator's comment or action please send him an email. (Hacker / Lefteous / Clo)
Lefteous (Moderator)
[/mod]
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I have made a comment here:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=78353#78353

I am not here just for answering questions but also to have some fun meanwhile. Reading threads with 1000 pages and hundreds of mixed up OT themes I won't tolerate.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Reading threads with 1000 pages and hundreds of mixed up OT themes I won't tolerate.
I am following you!
Habemus majkam!
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Hey guys, chill out, they just want to help, and keep the topic clean and uncluttered. On the other hand, it there was an offtopic forum, would you really post all OT stuff there, and not do like now, that we just accidently go offtopic in a particular thread?
I thought so ;-)
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Until now OT themes have been separated from the original thread to a NEW single thread and then marked with [OT], that was perfectly alright. I don't want a TAVERN, like majki, but this is just a matter of taste.

Merging every single OT sentence to one OT thread is not, it's an offense. So, regarding me there is no reason to chill out at all.

Icfu
This account is for sale
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I dont know if the merging of OT's has anything to do with it, but right now I am getting THREE email notifications for every reply in this particular thread - Very annoying!!!!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Until now OT themes have been separated from the original thread to a NEW single thread and then marked with [OT]
I see, well i have to agree with you on this particualar issue. One huge OT thread is just like the tavern, and I dont like the idea either.
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

SanskritFritz wrote: we just accidently go offtopic in a particular thread?
Ah AHKFritz, you are wise beyond your years and will surely receive your reward in posters' heaven. You have hit the nail squarely on the head: not many OT posts are pre-meditated, they simply just happen. Like Flint's little side question about English words (which I can't find easily now!) which moved on to a nice discussion about islands, monkeys, language, and even sugar daddies.

Such a headache for the mods - how to filter the noise from the music of TC? There are no easy answers. Draw a line under the first deviation and move it to a separate [OT] thread? But that breaks the flow of thought. Create a giant OT thread? We can't find the best bits without reading through the lot. Ban it and enrage many? Unthinkable.

Maybe we should just leave it up to the good sense of forum readers and leave them to make the decision whether to read or skip. But for this they need a clear and unambiguous signal that the following post is off-the-wall, i.e. we need to define by post in addition to thread.

Perhaps the subject line should always be filled in with something like [OT] :!: Totally OFF-TOPIC. Please look away now! :!: [OT] whenever a post wanders off the beaten track. The subject head shows up clearly on RSS and disinterested readers can simply hit the 'next' key if they want to, with a single glance.

And it may allow RSS readers to easily remove unwanted posts by subject if a standard indicator is always used. Much less work for the mods to simply paste it in at the beginning of 'Subject'. :)

What do you think?
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

As it is majkinetor ! who starts OT in nearly evry THREAD im fine with what the mods are doing right now.
Hoecker sie sind raus!
CoMiKe

Post by *CoMiKe »

Sir_SiLvA wrote:As it is majkinetor ! who starts OT in nearly evry THREAD im fine with what the mods are doing right now.
I don't agree. Perhaps it has a little more tendency to OT posts, but I wouldn't blame him for that.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Perhaps the subject line should always be filled in with something like [OT] Exclamation Totally OFF-TOPIC. Please look away now! Exclamation [OT] whenever a post wanders off the beaten track. The subject head shows up clearly on RSS and disinterested readers can simply hit the 'next' key if they want to, with a single glance.
I think this is a good idea. It we keep this rule even in threads, then we could separate those OT and OnTopic flows without disrupting the thread itself.