[implemented] Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

scaly

Pause and resuming directories comparison in TC

Post by *scaly »

Is there a possibility in Total Commander to pause a directories comparison (and then to save and resume the comparing process)? I have a very big folder (4.5TBs with thousands of sub directories and 7.5 millions of files) to compare and it will take approximately 2-3 days, so I need to pause, save and resume it in order to make it working only during night.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Moderator message from: petermad » 2023-09-16, 16:56 UTC

This and the two following posts are merged with the topic "Pause option in sychronize dirs?"
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Pause and resuming directories comparison in TC

Post by *Dalai »

This has been discussed before, see this thread viewtopic.php?t=77725 and my response in it viewtopic.php?p=423245#p423245

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
HerbieH

Re: Pause and resuming directories comparison in TC

Post by *HerbieH »

100% support. :)

It seems from mr. Ghislers answers in the above threads, that it shouldn't be that difficult to implement.
So don't just put it on a wish list.
Please put on a todo list.

Respectfully greetings from
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Post by *petermad »

history.txt wrote:05.10.23 Added: Synchronize dirs: Change "Synchronize..." button to "Pause" while comparing, "Start" while paused (32/64)
This is now implemented in TC 11.02rc1 - But I still think it should be the Compare button that becomes a Pause button once the comparison is started.

It is the comparison the can be paused and started again, not the synchronization, so for me it is logical that it is the Compare button, that changes to Pause/Start.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

My reasoning for using the Synchronize button is the following:
1. When it were the Compare button and you clicked on "Pause" at the exact moment when the comparison ended, you would start the lengthy compare process from the beginning. -> very bad
2. When instead I'm using the Synchronize button, clicking on "Paused" at the exact moment when the comparison ended would only open the "Synchronize" confirmation dialog, which can be easily cancelled.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

1. When it were the Compare button and you clicked on "Pause" at the exact moment when the comparison ended, you would start the lengthy compare process from the beginning. -> very bad
Couldn't that be prevented by checing the button state after the click, but before starting the comparison?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [implemented] Pause option in sychronize dirs?

Post by *white »

Here's another idea:
  1. Bring the buttons together at the left as shown in this screen mockup.
    The height of the top section should be increased a few pixels, but you get the idea.
  2. When comparing is in progress, a Pause/Start button can appear as shown in this screen mockup.
    The button can disappear again when comparing is done.
  3. Like it is now, the Close button can be transformed into an Abort button when comparing is in progress.
    When aborting, a confirmation dialog may be useful to prevent accidental aborting (for all cat owners).
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

Here's another idea:
brilliant!
#146217 personal license
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

2ghisler(author)
I suggest removing from 11.02 this 'Pause' feature, which is completely immature and in no way belongs in a correction release, and then implement it calmly afterwards. An example: If you have several comparisons running in separate processes and press pause on one, all of them are stopped... etc. Better in 11.04 in two months...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suggest removing from 11.02 this 'Pause' feature, which is completely immature and in no way belongs in a correction release, and then implement it calmly afterwards.
You do not need to use it if you don't like it. Nothing changes when you ignore that pause button.
Couldn't that be prevented by checking the button state after the click, but before starting the comparison?
No, humans have a varying reaction time. When you see pause on the button, you move the mouse cursor over it and then press the mouse button. You wouldn't notice when the button changes in that exact moment. I could add a wait time after changing the button during which it doesn't react to clicks at all, but that would be annoying for people who wait attentively for the button to change.
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-08, 07:53 UTC
I suggest removing from 11.02 this 'Pause' feature, which is completely immature and in no way belongs in a correction release, and then implement it calmly afterwards.
You do not need to use it if you don't like it. Nothing changes when you ignore that pause button.
I like it. It is a nice to have feature. But at the moment (within a Service-Release) this totaly new feature seems to buggy.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do you mean with too buggy? So far there have been only two complaints:
1. That it should be a different button. I have explained why I'm using the sync button (so you don't accidentally restart the comparison). It's also better to have "Pause" near "Close".
2. That you can't close the window with X or Alt+F4 while paused. That can be fixed easily.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-09, 10:17 UTC What do you mean with too buggy? So far there have been only two complaints:
3. For 64-bit TC, the caption of the Synchronize button does not change to Pause/Start.
4. In dark mode, the synchronize button turns white.
5. Posted by JOUBE in a post you deleted: "If you have several comparisons running in separate processes and press pause on one, all of them are stopped." I cannot confirm this though.

ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-09, 10:17 UTC 1. That it should be a different button. I have explained why I'm using the sync button (so you don't accidentally restart the comparison). It's also better to have "Pause" near "Close".
Did you consider the idea I posted:
white wrote: 2023-10-06, 17:17 UTC Here's another idea:
  1. Bring the buttons together at the left as shown in this screen mockup.
    The height of the top section should be increased a few pixels, but you get the idea.
  2. When comparing is in progress, a Pause/Start button can appear as shown in this screen mockup.
    The button can disappear again when comparing is done.
  3. Like it is now, the Close button can be transformed into an Abort button when comparing is in progress.
    When aborting, a confirmation dialog may be useful to prevent accidental aborting (for all cat owners).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

"If you have several comparisons running in separate processes and press pause on one, all of them are stopped." I cannot confirm this though.
I cannot reproduce that either.
License #524 (1994)
JOUBE
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JOUBE »

white wrote: 2023-10-09, 10:57 UTC
ghisler(Author) wrote: 2023-10-09, 10:17 UTC What do you mean with too buggy? So far there have been only two complaints:
5. Posted by JOUBE in a post you deleted: "If you have several comparisons running in separate processes and press pause on one, all of them are stopped." I cannot confirm this though.
petermad wrote: 2023-10-09, 11:18 UTC
"If you have several comparisons running in separate processes and press pause on one, all of them are stopped." I cannot confirm this though.
I cannot reproduce that either.
It wasn't about the comparison process in Synctool but about the subsequent copying process in Synctool: When you pressed pause in one of the separate processes while copying, all (in this case four) separate comparison runs were stopped at the same time... I have now tested this again and can no longer reproduce it during the test. For the time being, I hereby withdraw the bug report. Sorry guys...

Joube