EdgeViewer - Modern HTML viewer plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Re: EdgeViewer - Modern HTML viewer plugin

Post by *AntonyD »

and those dark .css
But do we have such file on a hands now???
#146217 personal license
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

rg_software wrote: 2023-10-31, 08:17 UTC
AntonyD wrote: 2023-10-31, 08:01 UTC Or something special yet you have in plans?
I guess not at the moment
What about Cyrillic support in mhtml files?
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-11-01, 14:51 UTC
and those dark .css
But do we have such file on a hands now???
There are such files around, we can try them.
Another question: what do you think, should the dark mode be activated in system-dark or TC-dark mode? I guess it is possible to detect windows-dark, but that's it.
Last edited by rg_software on 2023-11-02, 04:04 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

LonerD wrote: 2023-11-01, 15:29 UTC
rg_software wrote: 2023-10-31, 08:17 UTC
AntonyD wrote: 2023-10-31, 08:01 UTC Or something special yet you have in plans?
I guess not at the moment
What about Cyrillic support in mhtml files?
Yes, indeed, I overlooked this issue. Will think about it.
AntonyD
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *AntonyD »

The situation is still not clear. This specific file is only applicable for a specific file type.
But we are talking about a general dark mode, i.e. we are looking at markdown - php - html files, etc... - the plugin seems to be rendered in a dark mode. But this is some kind of nonsense. It does not have any special GUI elements that would need to be drawn in a dark color, and everything that it displays as content (which takes up most of the screen) all has its own internal rendering conditions. Where, for example, does a dark color suddenly appear in a html file if you saved an almost white page?

It seems to me that let people do this personally - if they suddenly come up with something for themselves to darken, then let them add such things themselves.
#146217 personal license
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

AntonyD wrote: 2023-11-02, 09:04 UTC
The situation is still not clear. This specific file is only applicable for a specific file type.
But we are talking about a general dark mode, i.e. we are looking at markdown - php - html files, etc... - the plugin seems to be rendered in a dark mode. But this is some kind of nonsense. It does not have any special GUI elements that would need to be drawn in a dark color, and everything that it displays as content (which takes up most of the screen) all has its own internal rendering conditions. Where, for example, does a dark color suddenly appear in a html file if you saved an almost white page?

It seems to me that let people do this personally - if they suddenly come up with something for themselves to darken, then let them add such things themselves.
An HTML document might or might not have an associated stylesheet file, and in general HTML display is a browser's job, so I don't intervene. However, Markdown documents never have associated colors, so it's perfectly reasonable to let the user choose. Thus, we can discuss the support of light/dark mode in Markdown, but not for any file type in the world.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2rg_software

I just checked your recent release v1.0.7 of EdgeViewer. You did an awesome job, and I'm so happy that you were able to implement a quick-view mode for directories, too. Thank you so much!

• 1. When in quick-view mode, you can switch to the inactive file panel displaying the quick-view content via the TAB key. When the quick-view panel displays image thumbnails (GIF, JPG, BMP, SVG), you then can activate a cursor to highlight the first image and advance to the next/previous image via TAB/Shift+TAB.

Q1: Would it be possible to add an optional behavior, so that when the quick-view panel is in thumbnail mode, the first image is auto-highlighted (thumbnail cursor is auto-activated) and you can then navigate through the thumbnails using the cursor keys?

• 2. When pressing ENTER on a highlighted thumbnail or left-clicking on a thumbnail, the related image gets displayed centered in the quick-view panel, along with a "Close" button at the top right corner of the displayed image.

Q2.1: Currently, the display size of the centered image varies depending on the actual dimensions of the image. Can this optionally be changed to either use the limits of the quick-view file panel and/or display the image in full screen?

Q2.2: Is it possible to add optionally closing the display of the image (and return to the thumbnail mode) via the ESC key and/or left-clicking anywhere on the displayed image?

• 3. The EdgeViewer can be configured to either support or ignore various file formats (HTM, HTML, PDF, SVG, XML, MHTML, etc.) via its configuration file edgeviewer.ini, which can be displayed either by F3 (main lister window) or in quick-view mode (file panel).

Q3: However, I did not manage to define EdgeViewer as the main lister plugin (F3) for animated GIF files. Is that currently even possible or would you be able to add that in a future release?

Thank you again for your hard work in creating this terrific lister plugin, it's much appreciated. :D
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

Ad Q3.

Already possible.
Add extension to edgeviewer.ini
e.g.

Code: Select all

[Extensions]
HTML=SVG,HTM,HTML,XML,PDF,GIF
Add extension to detect string to [ListerPlugins] section
e.g.

[ListerPlugins]
0=%COMMANDER_PATH%\PLUGINS\WLX\EdgeViewer\107\EdgeViewer.wlx
0_detect="EXT="GIF"|EXT="SVG"|EXT="HTM"|EXT="HTML"|EXT="XML"|EXT="PDF"|EXT="MD"|EXT="MARKDOWN"|EXT="ADOC"|EXT="ASCIIDOC"|EXT="URL"|EXT="MHT"|EXT="MHTML"|EXT="""
and use "Define view method by file type" in Lister configure to get something like this in [ListerModes] section

[ListerModes]
0exts=*.gif
0fields=EdgeViewer.wlx
P.S. If you mean really stricly ONLY animated GIFs you need content ID. e.g. WDX4i content plugin.
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

2Gral

Got it to work, thanks. Unfortunately, when using EdgeViewer the GIF image does not fit the screen, every time you have to adjust the display with CTRL+Mousewheel. Also, you cannot advance to the next/previous image with page-up/down. Currently, the plugin is not quite as usable as it would need to be for this purpose.
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

deus-ex wrote: 2023-11-02, 21:20 UTC 2Gral

Got it to work, thanks. Unfortunately, when using EdgeViewer the GIF image does not fit the screen, every time you have to adjust the display with CTRL+Mousewheel. Also, you cannot advance to the next/previous image with page-up/down. Currently, the plugin is not quite as usable as it would need to be for this purpose.
I will think about your questions, thanks.
Speaking of GIF, it is always a matter of motivation. Say, I know the PDF support in EdgeViewer isn't very good, but sLister can do it better, so what's the point of making a one-fit-all solution? Likewise, there is a bult-in image viewer, and a number of other image viewing plugins. Are they all insufficient for some reasons?
deus-ex
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *deus-ex »

rg_software wrote: 2023-11-03, 01:53 UTC Say, I know the PDF support in EdgeViewer isn't very good, but sLister can do it better, so what's the point of making a one-fit-all solution?
Agreed, I compared EdgeViewer against SLister/SumatraPDF. While EdgeViewer's support for the PDF format appears to be very good, it is no match to the speed of SumatraPDF, to which PDF is its core competence.
rg_software wrote: 2023-11-03, 01:53 UTC Likewise, there is a bult-in image viewer, and a number of other image viewing plugins. Are they all insufficient for some reasons?
The Imagine plugin tends to crash often on animated GIF files, whether that's related to malformed files or GIFs containing unsupported format specs I can't tell. Total Commander's built-in support for GIF is stable but quite slow.

Using your EdgeViewer plugin in quick-view mode, viewing animated GIFs is both stable and very fast, and they are shown with the intended speed. Therefore, my hope is you could improve the lister (F3) functionality of your plugin for a better viewing experience regarding the GIF format so that it works equally to the other supported formats (HTML, PDF, SVG, etc.), which work great out of the box both in lister (F3) and quick-view mode.
Crag Jones

Post by *Crag Jones »

A big thank-you to everyone for all their work on this.
You may recall from my earlier queries that I wanted a modern effective way of including web-sites in the preview window for when 'favourites' are stored as URL file shortcuts. That was because you can then have both local documents and website links stored together in a unified file structure rather than having to two separate structures that mirror each other (folder/file system + favourites). I see that the plugin has also had further developments and when I have the time I will install the updated version. Thanks again.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Currently if an .url file points to a local file (protocol file:///) then EdgeViewer does not open the file, even though it can open .htm file directly.

Is that fixable?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
rg_software

Post by *rg_software »

petermad wrote: 2023-11-03, 17:45 UTC Currently if an .url file points to a local file (protocol file:///) then EdgeViewer does not open the file, even though it can open .htm file directly.

Is that fixable?
Kind of yes-ish. Local files are blocked by Chrome as a security threat.
The best thing I can do is go to the respective folder and open the file from there as I do with HTML, but if the file has other links to local resources, they won't work.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

but if the file has other links to local resources, they won't work.
But they do work already if I open the html file directly
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar