OPENLANGUAGEFILE closes TC help

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

OPENLANGUAGEFILE closes TC help

Post by *Fla$her »

1. F1 (Help)
2. OPENLANGUAGEFILE <path to any .lng>

As a result, the help is closed.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Re: OPENLANGUAGEFILE closes TC help

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

thats not a bug but expected behaviour?
Hoecker sie sind raus!
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

By whom is expected? Definitely not by me. I want to continue reading the up-to-date help on the page I need.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It should only close the help when there is a language-specific help file named wcmd_lng.chm in the same directory as the new (or previous) language file. This is meant to switch between multiple languages with multiple help files. It works properly in 64-bit.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

There is %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.CHM and %COMMANDER_PATH%\LANGUAGE\WCMD_LNG.CHM
The current language is English.
After F1, the English help appears. Next:
OPENLANGUAGEFILE without parameters — the language remains the same, the help will close.
OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_ENG.LNG — the language remains the same, the help will close.
OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG — the language changes to German, the help will close, regardless of the presence of Language\WCMD_DEU.CHM. TC 11.00b6 x32.

I don't see the point in closing the help at all if I'm reading it at the moment, especially considering that other languages, even with WCMD_LNG.CHM, don't have updates to familiarize themselves with new features.

The following behavior is expected:

For all helps: if the language matches, the help will not be closed.

For German and English help: if the language switches between these two, the help will be reopened on the current page.

For references other than German and English: if the language does not match, the help will not be closed.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I wrote, it's broken in 32-bit. It works fine in 64-bit. Please wait for beta 7.
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

Of the three expected items, only the first one has been fixed in the 7th beta, although it's the least important.
I still can't continue reading the updated help from the same place when the localization changes.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Fla$her
There is %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.CHM and %COMMANDER_PATH%\LANGUAGE\WCMD_LNG.CHM
What language is your %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.CHM and what is "LNG" in your %COMMANDER_PATH%\LANGUAGE\WCMD_LNG.CHM - DEU, ENG or do you have both?

Here my %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.CHM is in English and I only have a %COMMANDER_PATH%\LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.CHM.

It is ONLY when I shift to or from German that the Help file i closed. Shifting between all other language files, keeps the %COMMANDER_PATH%\TOTALCMD.CHM file open
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

2petermad
It doesn't matter which file. You described an undesirable closure when LANGUAGE\WCMD_LNG.CHM is present and OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_LNG.LNG is executed.
Read the second and third paragraphs of the expected.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

In beta 7, the help should only close now when a _different_ help file would open now when you press F1 again.
Can anyone confirm that?
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

On TC 11.00b7 x32, it's impossible to get to this point after changing the language if the help is called by F1.
But in any case, why do it? And if I need to compare the data in two help files, given that F1 is easier to call from the corresponding dialogs?
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It doesn't matter which file. You described an undesirable closure when LANGUAGE\WCMD_LNG.CHM is present and OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_LNG.LNG is executed.
I did nothing of the sort, and what is undesirable - you open LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.LNG, so it is assumed that you want to use the corresponding German LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.CHM instead of the already opened English TOTALCMD.INC file. If LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.CHM is already open and you are using WCMD_DEU.LNG, then when you use OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG the HElp file is NOT closed.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-14, 23:17 UTC and what is undesirable - you open LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.LNG
Didn't understand why it's undesirable to open another help?
petermad wrote: 2023-06-14, 23:17 UTC so it is assumed that you want to use the corresponding German LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.CHM instead of the already opened English TOTALCMD.INC file.
The fact that I want to look at the help in another language does not mean that I want to stop reading the help that is already open.
The author writes that the closure should no longer occur during the execution of OPENLANGUAGEFILE (with/without parameters). Do you confirm this or not?
petermad wrote: 2023-06-14, 23:17 UTC If LANGUAGE\WCMD_DEU.CHM is already open and you are using WCMD_DEU.LNG, then when you use OPENLANGUAGEFILE WCMD_DEU.LNG the HElp file is NOT closed.
This is the first fixed point. There is no reason in talking about him anymore.
Fla$her wrote: 2023-06-14, 21:59 UTC Read the second and third paragraphs of the expected.
Overquoting is evil! 👎
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The author writes that the closure should no longer occur during the execution of OPENLANGUAGEFILE (with/without parameters). Do you confirm this or not?
No he writes:
In beta 7, the help should only close now when a _different_ help file would open now when you press F1 again.
Can anyone confirm that?
And I can confirm that.

If you are using f.ex. WCMD_DEU.LNG and you have a WCMD_DEU.CHM, then it is WCMD_DEU.CHM that will open if you press F1.

So if you are using a language that uses English totalcmd.chm (or its own .wcmd_lng.chm file) and you switch to use WCMD_DEU.LNG then the English totalæcmd.cnm will be closed because if you press F1 while using WCMD_DEU.LNG then WCMD_DEU.CHM will be opened
License #524 (1994)
Fla$her
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Fla$her »

petermad wrote: 2023-06-15, 00:00 UTC No he writes:
Why "no", if the keyword is only?
This means that in other cases, including the use of the specified command, the closure does not occur.
And that would suit me quite well (the second point is not so important).
petermad wrote: 2023-06-15, 00:00 UTC And I can confirm that.
How can you confirm this if the help at the time of the attempt to open the second one is already closed after switching the language?
Overquoting is evil! 👎